FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVST Problem...plz help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: VST Problem...plz help
    Posted: April 13 2005 at 22:18
Im having a problem with a few VST plugins Ive been trying to use. I wanted to use this plugin called Trollo which turns your keyboard into a MIDI controller, but whenever I use this as the input to my MIDI channel in Cubase SX, and then set some sort of synthesizer or whatever other VST instrument as the output on the MIDI track, it lags behind by a second or two of what Im actually trying to play. Is this normal?! Any way of fixing this so that I can use this setup to record in Cubase?! I just don't have a soundcard with MIDI capabilities and thus can't use a real MIDI controller, so Im just trying to get this Trollo plugin to work without giving me that delay, so that I can record some synths etc in real time all through VST. Can anyone help me figure out what the problem is?! Ive looked through all kinds of settings in Cubase to see if I can keep this from happening, but to no avail. If someone can help me fix this, I would appreciate it very much, I know it's not really the best thread, but some very knowledgeable people roam this forum

Anyways, just in case, link to Trollo:

http://www.axxeom.fsnet.co.uk/trollo.htm
Links to musical projects coming soon!!!
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2005 at 06:53

Latency. It's a pain in the ass, it really is. More so for people who can actually play...if you were just doing electronic dance music, you'd never have an issue.

I use Sonar mostly, and I've whittled the lag down to a reasonable 20ms or less (barely noticable) but I still get much worse latency with Cubase. Still, some VST plugins are worse in this respect than others, and those tend to bog down the response of everything else as well.

Do you have any trouble with other plug-ins, or just this one?

What soundcard are you using? How fast is your PC, and how much RAM do you have installed?

Ankaret View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2005 at 08:54
Soundcard is some kind of C-Media crap that came on my NVidia N-force board. CPU = 2.2 G with 1G of RAM. I understand that now I have to somehow mess with my ASIO drivers or something, and I tried doing this to limit this lag, but Im not sure what to tweak in these settings. Could you help by starting some directions as to what to try first in tweaking latency to get it not to do this?! Help is greatly appreciated man.
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2005 at 11:56

Run the ASIO Multimedia Setup program first. Hit "Advanced Options" and make sure that the C-Media is selected in both input and output ports section (it's probably the only thing listed, but just in case).

What does it say for your buffer size? Mine originally said 5512 but I was able to knock it down to 1200 with no problems. Try reducing the buffer size (you have to double-click on it and then hit enter when you're done...sounds silly to say but it took me a while to figure that out ).

Hit "run simulation" to test it. If it says "unsuccessful", start to increase the number until it works. If you end up with a smaller number than you started with, run Cubase and see if that did the trick.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2005 at 11:39
hey dude, i believe this will solve yur prob. all yu need to do is go to devices-device setup-vst multitrack-
once here, click on "control panel" now click on the tab at the top that reads "system".....there will be a slider there for latency, slide it all the way to the left to read 256....make sure to hit ok and apply to apply the changes and yu should be set to lose the delays . good luck.
Ankaret View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2005 at 00:30

Awesome guys, thanks a lot for your help, I got my latency down to 3.xx ms, which sounds pretty good to my ears, Ill have to wait and hear it on some recordings, but that tapeworm plugin is the best VST replica of a mellotron I have ever heard, it's awesome.  Anyways, thanks again fellas!!!

Ankaret View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 23:03
Hey James, at what latency are you running at right now successfully?! I just want to make sure that an input of 2.9 ms and an output of 3.6 ms is good enough, it sounds alright to me, but I want to make sure VST stuff won't come back to bug me when Im listening back to my recordings. I mean is a delay of 3.6 ms even audible?!
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 01:41

there's probably some anal drummers out there who can hear it, but most people would have difficulty noticing anything under 10-20 ms. It takes 7ms alone for sound to travel from the eardrum to the brain!

Mine is set around 20ms...sometimes I think I notice a lag, but I keep it a little higher intentionally as a perfomance buffer (probably needless, but I do tend to pile on the plug-ins). Plus I'm not a tight player to begin with, so I'll usually go back and quantise the notes a little anyway.

Ankaret View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 08:44
Cool, thanks for the info.
 Post Reply Post Reply