Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYearly Top Albums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yearly Top Albums
    Posted: September 21 2008 at 21:32
Using only albums that have 25+ reviews has failed this year. Last year when an album got 3, 5 star reviews at the start it at least sparked some interest and drew many more people in to listen to it and review it. This year only the biggest acts have their albums on the list, and no new comers manage to build up a good number of ratings to get on.

Anyone else feel like we should go back to the way it was? sure it's not as accurate at first but the end result is better.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2008 at 12:18
Setting a threshold helps eliminate fanboyism, along with the odds of the band's "marketing" end hyping an album.
At a certain point you have to set a minimum number of ratings and reviews as that would indicate a certain level of interest that you would expect from an album on a  so-called "best of the year" list.
As for the biggest acts being the only ones on the list, you'd be surprised at how many bands have caught PA members' ear because of the quality, not name recognition. Most times, but obviously not always, a great album's reach will expand due to word of mouth (again reviews & ratings). Buying an album because  one or two people love it is a bit much to expect with the deluge of releases out there. Especially when no PA collabs, reviewers or admin have rated it. Not to dismiss my opinion or that of other hoi polloi PA community members, just that PA "experts, for lack of a better term, have a track record, and face more scrutiny than Joe Blow.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
 Post Reply Post Reply