44 [95.65%]
2 [4.35%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which US President
    Posted: September 24 2008 at 05:38
I was wondering, which of these two catastrophic US presidents will be remembererd as the one having done most damage.

Or would you vote for another one?

Where's the vomiting smiley for this one?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 07:18
Not exactly a smiley, but how's this?:

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 07:21

Bush by a nose.

Nixon destroyed any faith or trust in our public "leadership" that many post-WWII American youth may have had left after Vietnam.  Our government is not Uncle Sam any more - it's more like that creepy neighbor Sam who stares at your sister too long when she walks by his house, and who causes you to worry about  home and hearth when you're traveling and you know he's still back home lurking next door.

Bush may have actually succeeded in destroying our legacy as a nation by the time all is said and done; largely through his hubris; his lack of sophistication in recognizing the cause-and-effect of most everything going on around him; but mostly by surrounding himself with too many for whom social justice, objective governance, public trust or even basic honesty are considered 'quaint' and 'outdated' concepts.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 10:58
I would say, no one could beat W, but  I am foreigner....
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 11:02
Bush should be remembered as one of the worst, if not the worst leaders.
keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 11:41
nixon actually accomplished things as president and, overall, id say was a pretty decent president who was chased out by an embarrassing scandal.
Bush is just . . . the depth at which he has tainted America's reputation is astounding. i mean kudos to him, it feels like that was his mission from day one.
mission accomplished. 
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 12:51
What's really ironic is that Nixon would be considered a liberal by today's "conservatives".
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 14:28
Nixon was not that atrocious as a president until he.. well, we know, Watergate. His paranoia and his insecurity turned him into a disaster.

W, on the other hand, is just... a disaster. There's NOTHing, NOTHING that he will be remembered for that is ANY GOOD.

But of course, it seems American people's short-term memory is actually shorter than a spider's.... Bush II will probably be elected.. and with him the abysmal VP...
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 14:43
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

it seems American people's short-term memory is actually shorter than a spider's....

That's really an insult to spiders.  Tongue

By the way, we humans often underestimate the capability of animals and other life forms.  There was a really good article on animals in National Geographic recently.  I'll see if it's linkable later...

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 24 2008 at 14:44

crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 14:45
Mind you Carter did a good job of f-ing things up under his watch.

I think it's time for America to get it's long needed enema.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 14:54
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

it seems American people's short-term memory is actually shorter than a spider's....

That's really an insult to spiders.  Tongue

By the way, we humans often underestimate the capability of animals and other life forms.  There was a really good article on animals in National Geographic recently.  I'll see if it's linkable later...

Oh, you're right... It's just that the hippocampus in humans is 38476394 bigger than in spiders, so it was a fair comparison, as we all know that the bigger they get, the dumber and slower they are...so spiders have really the edge here.... Tongue

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 15:00
Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

I don't know how old you are, but you can find out how old I am.  I was becoming an adult at the time.

Personally I think the disregard with which Carter's presidency is held among the general public is more a product of Republican propaganda than actually has any basis in reality, just as Reagan is now held up as a god of sorts by so called conservatives

Having said that, I really wish third parties had more potential, but of course the two bad boys on the block work hard to ensure that really doesn't happen. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only third party that really had any chance in the last century was T. Roosevelt's Bull Moose.  And was more about a personality than the beginnings of viable alternative party.

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 15:05

I don't know how old you are, but you can find out how old I am.  I was becoming an adult at the time.

Personally I think the disregard with which Carter's presidency is held among the general public is more a product of Republican propaganda than actually has any basis in reality, just as Reagan is now held up as a god of sorts by so called conservatives

Well, he was at least disliked enough to not get elected again.

When one looks at how utterly futile it's been for third parties in recent times, it's downright shocking to recall Perot's performance in 1992.  We cared about balanced budgets then.  My how times have changed.
markosherrera View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 15:08
Bushcifer is the worst,he destroy the economy ,he is genocide
Hi progmaniacs of all the world
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2008 at 19:24
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Well, he was at least disliked enough to not get elected again.

When one looks at how utterly futile it's been for third parties in recent times, it's downright shocking to recall Perot's performance in 1992.  We cared about balanced budgets then.  My how times have changed.

Public dislike for Carter in that election is overrated. 

If you will allow me my conspiracy theory moment, Reagan's operatives colluded with the Iranian hostage holders to get their release delayed until after the election.  Is it really a coincidence that they were released as Reagan was being sworn in?  It was an Iranian nudge nudge wink wink.  We can embarrass you so you'd better follow through with your end of the deal.  Then they got arms in return and the proceeds from that transaction were used to fund the Contras against a Communist regime in Nicaragua.

By the way, I voted for Perot in '92 as it was looking like Clinton was going to win.  Otherwise, I would have voted for Clinton.  More in the conspiracy theory area.  I had registered in plenty of time for the Bush/Dukakis elections but my voter registration card did not come back in the mail until after the elections with a Texas postmark.  I was living in a low rent apartment complex in Cobb County Georgia.  Coincidence?  I think not.  Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not out to get you...

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 24 2008 at 19:25

BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 01:26

Mind you Carter did a good job of f-ing things up under his watch. I think it's time for America to get it's long needed enema.
I don't know how old you are, but you can find out how old I am.  I was becoming an adult at the time.Personally I think the disregard with which Carter's presidency is held among the general public is more a product of Republican propaganda than actually has any basis in reality, just as Reagan is now held up as a god of sorts by so called conservatives
Well, he was at least disliked enough to not get elected again.When one looks at how utterly futile it's been for third parties in recent times, it's downright shocking to recall Perot's performance in 1992.  We cared about balanced budgets then.  My how times have changed.
Public dislike for Carter in that election is overrated.  If you will allow me my conspiracy theory moment, Reagan's operatives colluded with the Iranian hostage holders to get their release delayed until after the election.  Is it really a coincidence that they were released as Reagan was being sworn in?  It was an Iranian nudge nudge wink wink.  We can embarrass you so you'd better follow through with your end of the deal.  Then they got arms in return and the proceeds from that transaction were used to fund the Contras against a Communist regime in Nicaragua.By the way, I voted for Perot in '92 as it was looking like Clinton was going to win.  Otherwise, I would have voted for Clinton.  More in the conspiracy theory area.  I had registered in plenty of time for the Bush/Dukakis elections but my voter registration card did not come back in the mail until after the elections with a Texas postmark.  I was living in a low rent apartment complex in Cobb County Georgia.  Coincidence?  I think not.  Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not out to get you...

Didn't Reagan also have people selling Coke in Florida to pay for guerillas? or was that money for his campaign, I can't quite remember.

Anyways, its obviously Bush.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 01:58
I don't believe Nixon was catasteophic before Watergate.

I believe Kennedy was worst than Nixon.

Iván

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 02:09
I think it's pretty obvious GWB is the most disastrous president we've ever had, at least in the last few generations    ..Ivan I'm curious; is your reference to Kennedy in regard to Viet Nam or the Missile Crisis?

Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 03:56

Bush should be remembered as one of the worst, if not the worst leaders.

I don't agree with him perhaps as the worst, many famous dictators come to mind as being worse, and I would easily say in the present day, Mugabe is worse.
Sheesh Pat, you haven't been gunned down for stating an opinion on Bush, he can't be worse than Mugabe who probably would have had you gunned down by now by one of his goonsThumbs%20Down
One of the worst? That's more like it.

Hang on, we talking about in terms of the US only?

Oh, in that case, Bush is the worstTongue

Edited by HughesJB4 - September 25 2008 at 03:59
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 10:10
I agree with the sentiment that Nixon's administration actually wasn't bad up until the scandal (though I wasn't around then, fwiw)...from what I can make, Nixon was miles ahead of Carter and Regan...and certainly GWB.  I remember having a discussion in some history class about the "best" president of the last 35 years; and when I thought about it...there really were no good choices.  Almost had to go with Ford because he had less time to mess things up.
Signature Writers Guild on strike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>