Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe end of CDs????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The end of CDs????
    Posted: September 25 2008 at 18:21

Hello, everybody

Please read this report about a new way to sell music that might bury the CD.
I have a vinyl collection from back then, have build a consequent CD library, don't feel to start again at zero.LOL.

And i prefer not imagine a ROGER DEAN cover artwork the size of a postage stamp     and if you are interested in the lyrics, better buy now a real big magnifying pair of glassesLOL

How do you think all that will work out? Bring your wise thoughtsSmile

September 25, 2008
Posted: 11:42 AM ET

How I remember those days of vinyl records, 8-track tapes, cassettes, and CDs. Yes, I said CDs. Their days could be numbered as a new music format is about to burst onto the scene. Slot Music, a micro SD card that is about the size of a fingernail, has been developed by SanDisk. Each SD card will hold an album’s worth of music, album cover art, liner notes, and will have extra space for personal files and photos. All songs will be free of copy protection as well.

A%20slot%20music%20memory%20chip%20is%20about%20the%20size%20of%20a%20postage%20stamp.%20%20%28From%20Sandisk%29

A slot music memory chip is smaller than the size of a postage stamp. (From Sandisk)

So far four music companies — Universal, Sony, Warner, and EMI –are on board as they hope to add another revenue stream to their bottom line. CD sales dropped 19 percent last year.

Best Buy and Wal-Mart are just two of the big retailers that will carry Slot Music. The new format is expected to be out before the holiday shopping season. Twenty-nine different albums ranging from Usher, Weezer, Akon, and even Elvis will be available at launch.

Micro SD cards can be played in many cell phones and MP3 players. Each album will come with a USB device so you can access the album on your computer. All we need now is a Micro SD player for our cars.

Is this the end for CDs or will Slot Music become just a short fad?

Christopher Piatt CNN Science and Tech

Filed under: consumer tech

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 18:40
I wouild imagine most people would prefer to make their own from downloads - I'll guaranteed that like all the other "home recordable" media's that existed before - the pre-recorded versions will not be "value for money" when compared to buying blank SD cards and paying for a download. Especially if they are selling each one with a USB adapter, which only serves to bump up the price.

What?
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2008 at 19:34
As quoted from Music Journalist Bob Lefsetz' newsletter of Sept 23 2008

"That's the problem.  iPods are too hard to use.  You can never find a USB cable.  And what's with iTunes launching automatically, that SCARES PEOPLE!  And thank god you can turn off automatic sync, to make it harder.  And can you PLEASE tell me how to buy from the iTunes Store!  What's this credit card information they keep asking for?  Do you know what that is?  I don't want to borrow any money...  Or is it a credit like at the Zune Store?  A point?  That you can use to purchase music?

Thank god we've got people like Rio Caraeff over at Universal Music to help me.  To make it easy.  Now selling music on micro-SD cards.

Yes, I've got a phone with a micro-SD slot.  I always take the back off my GSM phone.  Yes, I decided on GSM because I travel the world.  I believe CDMA carriers provide better service in the States, but...  Yes, I'm aware that you can buy a BlackBerry with both chips.  But usually when I go to Europe I take my U.S. phone and purchase a local chip and then go on Twitter and let everybody know my overseas number.  Now I can bring a collection of micro-SD albums with me overseas!  I've purchased a tiny little binder to collect all of them.  And I've got a special rubber glove that allows me to pick them up.  I love reading the liner notes on my mobile phone.  It's so informative.  Then I search via 3G technology and look up all the other credits of the players.  It's so great living in the material world.

ARE YOU f**kING NUTS?"

NUFF SAID ...
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
superprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 03:46
no no no shld just sell brain implants chips of albums so we can literally tune in and out whenever whereever..................imagine, you have a quarrel w boss or colleagues and u can suddenly turn on the death metal implant u bought 3 days ago............only u can hear it in yr head but my it'll be so cool to soundtrack that anger!!!!!
superprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 03:47
no, not a v bright idea.....the way i collect music my head will literally explode or implodeSleepy
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 06:27
I'm sure it's another idea that will go the way of Mini Discs, DAT etc. And what's the sound quality like? If it's anything like MP3's I'm steering well clear. I think cd's will be around a good while yet and if not I'm back to Vinyl.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 07:23
I'd rather have a download than a card the size of a fingernail. I'd probably lose the card down the back of the sofa.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 07:37
I just trust the record labels to back the losing horse(s) in the race for music fans' money.
Maybe we missed the story on the home sandisk player ? LOL
You may see a increasing number of anti-ITunes stories because AC/DC is still a Apple hold out. Somehow, they are an "album" band.
I love 'em, but it's a common comment that their back catalogue sales & sold out tours are due to younger fans using the P2Ps.
And let's face it, is there really something wrong with allowing people to just buy the songs they want ? It doesn't discourage those who want the whole album. And frankly, it does lend weight to the arguement that many albums are comprised of one "hit" song, and 14 filler tracks. SO why pay $20 just to get the song(s) you want ?
The latest example given is Kid Rock's latest release that sold over 2 million copies and was not available on ITunes. As if Kid Rock couldn't be one of the few remaining musical acts that can still move major numbers of CDs. Of course, no mention is made of Metallica's Death Magnetic just about ready to surpass the platinum mark, despite P2P leaks ,AND its' availabliltiy on ITunes and other legit M3 sites.
If you check with Warner, they'll tell you that Led Zep and Metallica's back catalogue CD sales increased after they became available on ITunes.
Oh well, I guess detractors could use this another example of AC/DC's caveman mentality.

Edited by debrewguy - September 26 2008 at 07:39
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2008 at 08:10
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

Maybe we missed the story on the home sandisk player ? LOL
My DAB radio has a SD slot, and I've an mp3 player that takes SDs - not that I ever use either of them. If the media catches on (it won't) the hardware will follow, though I'd prefer a CD player with a USB port, that would be far more sensible/useful.
What?
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2008 at 02:39
Vinyl is still being printed and used. 8-track was one of the first to have the same fate as the later mini-cassette, mini-disc, and probably this wacky thumb drive of music thing. Cds won't die out, just become as they are, unpopular.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2008 at 11:11
I am 20 years old and wish more and more as time goes by that I had been born a generation earlier, and this does nothing to change my mind.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2008 at 11:59
I don't understand the point of it....my age giving me a wayWinkI mean I do play my CD's less these days cos I have converted it all digitally with back ups and jewel cases etc. If I want to play an album on the move I plug in my portable device and choose from a 70GB library, so how an earth will stashing these SD cards benefit me and also how would one store a collection like this in your lounge? Most releases now are availbale for download and although this is not tangible format it is still better than these cards you are talking about..........................I am totally totally confusedCry
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2008 at 12:11
I can only say that CDs are the only format I use, the only format I'm interested in.  I have no intention of changing formats again.  If they stop making them, the used and specialty European/Japanese markets will thrive for decades among collectors. 

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2008 at 12:26
oh gosh, I hope not...Ouch

I know I'm an old fogie, but I really like to receive something tangible through the post, or (occasionally) to see in a store; something I can enjoy reading...and most importantly FILE CHRONOLOGICALLY!!!...LOL

I think I will always want to see something for my money, rather than just the 'intellectual aural property'...Confused

anyway, according to the article, CD sales dropped by 19% last year... well, not in this forum, they didn't..

Abstrakt bought enough for all of us...LOL
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2008 at 12:30
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

I am 20 years old and wish more and more as time goes by that I had been born a generation earlier, and this does nothing to change my mind.

But you would have missed out on many new groups that have come out in the meantime. And most importantly, the previous generation did not have easy access to info re : many a "lesser known" prog scene such as RPI, RIO/Avant-Garde, the various national scenes and others.
The format matters not. And frankly, there is more prog music, in all its' glorious inclusionary variety as exhibited by our own community at PA, that is now available to the fan than there ever has been before.
Therefore, IMHO, with time, the scene and its' offerings are better now than ever ...
Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2008 at 12:38
Originally posted by Chris Stacey Chris Stacey wrote:

I don't understand the point of it....my age giving me a wayWinkI mean I do play my CD's less these days cos I have converted it all digitally with back ups and jewel cases etc. If I want to play an album on the move I plug in my portable device and choose from a 70GB library, so how an earth will stashing these SD cards benefit me and also how would one store a collection like this in your lounge? Most releases now are availbale for download and although this is not tangible format it is still better than these cards you are talking about..........................I am totally totally confusedCry

I'd just ignore them Chris, a year from now they'll be history. Wink I really can't see these taking off.
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2008 at 20:41
This wont take off consumers wont go with it,  they have become satisfied with mp3's now and like their music for free and if they want loss less I think they will stick with CD's for the artwork and real deal experiance. Did you mention what type of file is stored on the SD card ?

Edited by Yorkie X - September 29 2008 at 20:44
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 14:19
i agree. Downloading, mp3 players, iPods, and the reliability of CDs is enough that the next innovative form of media for music will not come out for at least 3-4 years, maybe more. Even vinyls still get the job done.

IMO this is just a fad. Look at CDs and vinyls, they've stood the test of time. You dont see much of cassettes, 8-tracks, mini-discs, or those GIANT VINYL-SIZED CDs that you saw in the early 80s (anyone know what im talking about?)
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 18:46
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

i agree. Downloading, mp3 players, iPods, and the reliability of CDs is enough that the next innovative form of media for music will not come out for at least 3-4 years, maybe more. Even vinyls still get the job done.

IMO this is just a fad. Look at CDs and vinyls, they've stood the test of time. You dont see much of cassettes, 8-tracks, mini-discs, or those GIANT VINYL-SIZED CDs that you saw in the early 80s (anyone know what im talking about?)

The Laserdisc?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Jake Kobrin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 19:31
Ugh... I'm going to have to live on the streets soon, I know it. Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>