Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedŞursaflokkurinn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Şursaflokkurinn
    Posted: September 30 2008 at 12:07
Salü together,

does anybody know the Icelandic band Şursaflokkurinn ?    Bad question, I know because the answer  is "no"  in 90%  of the cases.  Big smile   So I'll write a few words about them.... 

They were the most popular and famous progressive rock band  from Iceland (1978-1982),  but elsewhere they are rather unknown -  only few people  know their music,  a somewhat psychedelich  jazz/folk prog  which isn't too well comparable with other musicians;  Tongue  I think that they have listened to Focus, Steeleye Span, Caravan, Camel, Genesis and Gentle Giant,  but they sound very independent  what makes it really hard guessing their influences.  The idols of  Triumvirat (the ELP copy from Germany)  or Eloy (from Germany as well)  are much more evident ...  LOL

They are included in the PA  (click >here<) and there are also some soundsamples;  they seem to do some shows  at the moment  in Iceland,  so everyone living there  should  look for tickets. 

They have made it  kicking  Yes and Jethro Tull  from their  #2 and #3 ranks  in my personal top5 band list  and  are therefore on #2 now,  after Pink Floyd.   I think that about 50% in here  would  really love the music the same way I do,  so listen to the MP3 stream  if you  like Focus, the Steeleyes, Camel and Genesis.  Wink

Best wishes,
Einsetumadur Embarrassed

Edited by Einsetumadur - January 10 2009 at 10:32
All in all each man in all men
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 15:28
Thursaflokkurin (as they are listed in PA) ,is indeed an very special band.
Came across their second lp in the old days (79 or so),in Copenhagen,and picked it up because of the cover.After that I managed to find the first one and the live album a bit later.
Moved to Canada,and was not able to bring along my albums, sadly.
Happy to see them on here at PA,and always hoped I could find these on cd but no luck.Unless I wanted to buy them at extreme prices.
Well things has changed due to a google session,i found a great Icelandic site where you can download them internationally,and they will be on your I-Tunes file.
I picked up the 2 first ones at US$ 10.99 each.There is a ton of Icelandic music to be had besides.
On there they are listed under the pregnant P,or pot belly.
You also get samples of songs,and I was also able to listen to a whole album.
If you are curious about this band (as you should,I would say),try to go to  www.tonlist.com .
So if you Einsetumadur,know anything somewhat similar to Thursa,Please let me know.
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 21:36

This was an unknown band to me until i saw the topic creator mentioned it, but it was until one month ago (or less) when i managed to listen to their music, there is a great folkish element on it which made me enjoy the album a lot, very nice!!

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
 Post Reply Post Reply