FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJimi Hendrix

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jimi Hendrix
    Posted: April 11 2004 at 02:29

Okay I know Jimi Hendrix might not be considered progressive, but I felt like mentioning anyways. Since my guitar teacher took our class on a trip across the border to EMP (aka the Jimi Hendrix Museum in Seattle). Everybody wanted to go to the Sound Lab and try the instruments, which I did. But soon after I found myself lost in Jimi Hendrix's greatness.

Whenever I listen to Jimi Hendrix as in comparison to say Jeff Beck, I don't feel the same kind of feeling I do hearing Jimi Hendrix, which was what he was all about. Feeling...I have to admit music these days has lost its way to create good feeling in music, or creat moods.

What I also find interesting is that you can't explain by any technical means. There's no way you can point out what his music was. It was psychedelic, it wasn't blues, it wasn't rock in some ways. It was just a complicated as the man Jimi Hendrix is. And I find that intriguing, so besides wasting my time typing more stuff about Jimi Hendrix, you people talk about him....

Alexander View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2004 at 02:57
He was progressive in his playing. Strong influence in music & all, but I don't believe he would justify in the Prog Circles.
On A Dilemmia Between What I Need & What I Just Want

raggy View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2004 at 05:28
Electric Lady Land is protoprog!! Had things panned out differently for the poor guy I'm sure we'd have a rich and full catalogue of jazzy prog sounds to proove this. His direction was so obviously drifting away from the 3 minute pop-rock format. Also, being an essentially English phenomenom (!!) he was afforded a lot more artistic freedom than his record company moulded contemporaries back home in the States. At the time bands like the Floyd (with Sid) and Jimmy's Experience showed the A&R men what the public wanted. Meanwhile the A&R men States-side were busy trying to tell the public what they wanted, and that wasn't a black Superstar leading a white band. Thank God he came to swinging London to ply his trade. A blessing for us all, though not, of course, for him!
Now is tomorrow afternoon
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2004 at 06:07
Keith Emerson reckoned that the opening to 'Purple Haze' was Bartok inspired! Because of Jimi's untimely death we never did get Hendrix,Emerson,Lake and Palmer.That might have been interesting!!?
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2004 at 06:36
Jimi Hendrix contributed a lot to the development of prog. RIP Jimi !
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2004 at 07:27

I'm not sure of that...but for popular rock music in general, I can conceive it.

For proto-prog artists of the 60s, let's turn our attention to Arthur Brown contribution...

lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2004 at 07:53
Miles Davis wanted to collaborate with Jimi Hendrix and he surely would have done it if Jimi hadn't died so soon. This would have been one of the first step in the development of jazz-fusion.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2004 at 08:20
TRUE!!!
Stormcrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2004 at 15:22

Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

Miles Davis wanted to collaborate with Jimi Hendrix and he surely would have done it if Jimi hadn't died so soon. This would have been one of the first step in the development of jazz-fusion.

There were a lot of musicians looking to collaborate with Jimi at the time of his death, from both jazz and rock on both sides of the Atlantic.

The talent that the music world has lost to addiction over the years is staggering, not to mention sorrowful.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2004 at 23:36

Well I always thought that Progressive rock kind of emerged from that psychedelic scene of rock, which Jimi Hendrix kinda was.

Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2004 at 04:50
Originally posted by Fantom JSK Fantom JSK wrote:

Well I always thought that Progressive rock kind of emerged from that psychedelic scene of rock, which Jimi Hendrix kinda was.

That's true! But I don't really like Jimi's music. It sounds very rough and raw to me...

corbet View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2004 at 09:34

Originally posted by Joren Joren wrote:

I don't really like Jimi's music. It sounds very rough and raw to me...

Joren, if you ever get a chance, listen to the track "1983" off of Electric Ladyland.  It's what got my respect for Jimi a few years ago, at a time when I wasn't very thrilled about his music either.  "1983" is sorta his version of a prog epic, and it is beautifully produced unlike some of his earlier "rougher" sounding stuff -- most proggers I know are wowed by it upon first listen, and end up searching out more Jimi goodies because of it.

I certainly did, at least!  If he had entire albums of that type of song, he would be the best ever.  Anyway, check it out sometime.

Corbet

arqwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2004 at 14:07

he was a master, he had an affair with the guitar, he cannot use another instrument, it was an extension of his body... musicaly he was very proto prog, but mainlly BLUES, rock, if he was able to live a little bit longer he certainly would have changed the face of music more aggresivlly than before... what i love about him was his love to music, and the ideas that he wanted to share with us. he left very soon, but as good things in life, he still suvive among us with the music

peace

Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2004 at 14:20
Originally posted by corbet corbet wrote:

Originally posted by Joren Joren wrote:

I don't really like Jimi's music. It sounds very rough and raw to me...

Joren, if you ever get a chance, listen to the track "1983" off of Electric Ladyland.  It's what got my respect for Jimi a few years ago, at a time when I wasn't very thrilled about his music either.  "1983" is sorta his version of a prog epic, and it is beautifully produced unlike some of his earlier "rougher" sounding stuff -- most proggers I know are wowed by it upon first listen, and end up searching out more Jimi goodies because of it.

I certainly did, at least!  If he had entire albums of that type of song, he would be the best ever.  Anyway, check it out sometime.

Corbet

Thanks for your advice! I'll try to find it. And by the way, maybe I was a bit too harsh. I really like some of his songs (Hey Joe, Voodoo Chile)

The Analog Kid View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2004 at 10:50
He certainly was a progressive player. Song-lengths didn't matter, the number of solo's didn't matter. A master of improv and Psychrock. I recently saw his last(?) concert on TV, I believe from the Isle of Wight festival, and I was very very impressed. I think its time to pick up some albums.
 Post Reply Post Reply