Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Polyphonic Spree

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Polyphonic Spree
    Posted: October 10 2008 at 18:30
I would have thought this lot would have come up before, but I can't find any results in a search of the site. Can't say I'm a fan of them myself, but this isn't about whether they're any good or not, but whether they ought to be on this site.

So, punters. What about it? Is THE POLYPHONIC SPREE a prog rock band?
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2008 at 18:56
I'd call them Alt rock rather than progressive. I've got one of their albums kicking around, but I don't think they're ''proggy'' enough to have a home here.

I could be wrong though!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2008 at 10:12
Originally posted by russellk russellk wrote:

I would have thought this lot would have come up before, but I can't find any results in a search of the site. Can't say I'm a fan of them myself, but this isn't about whether they're any good or not, but whether they ought to be on this site.

So, punters. What about it? Is THE POLYPHONIC SPREE a prog rock band?

bingo my friend.. the question isn't about good or not.. we've all heard BAD prog.. but it is still prog and deserves to be on the site.

As far as PS....hell if I know hahha..  to be honest Russell.. I might have heard the music at some point but the name doesn't ring a bell.  We have been known to take some alt rock/prog 'crossover' bands.  Sort of treacherous group we tread there so we tend to be a bit cautious with additions since we..and the site are on the cutting edge of recognizing that stuff as something more than just lumping all that sh*t into the same old decomposed corpse that is the 'alt-rock' tag and label.  Sort of like like 'prog'  one tag really doesn't describe all the flavours and varieties within it.

anyhow..  I'll flag this to be looked at by the cross-dressers.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2008 at 13:13
Not long after I joined this site, I suggested Polyphonic Spree as a possibility but deleted my topic a week later.  I thought they were proggy, but not really prog, and was very unsure of the suggestion.  They could possibly fit in Crossover, and could go in Prog Related (I leaned  towards Related, but been a while since I heard the music, but also felt itto be a kind of art rock).  I got to know the band first because of an online flash game that I was addicted to called Samorost (if you like that, search for Samorost 2)-- Amanita Design that developed that game came out with a cool flash site for Polyphonic Spree - Quest for the Rest.  Fun, and beautiful. Check it out, makes for a very nice introduction to the band, and is fun -->

The Polyphonic Spree - The Quest For The Rest

Here is the official website: http://www.thepolyphonicspree.com/
Here is the myspace: http://www.myspace.com/polyphonicspree

It's quie retor, feel good music, and has beautful ambient qualities.  I like the band.

Edited by Logan - October 11 2008 at 13:16
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2008 at 02:19
I'm with you, Logan. Proggy, but not prog. Nevertheless, I thought we ought to talk about it.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2008 at 03:24
Mercury Rev + Enya + orchestra =/= prog
 Post Reply Post Reply