Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMetallica ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 21>
Poll Question: how do you fel about Metallica being added ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
42 [28.77%]
29 [19.86%]
75 [51.37%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 00:44
their not from the 70's lol their not prog lol
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 00:45
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

You guys have actually heard Metallica before right? As in, actually listened to them, rather than just hearing about half of one of their songs before making up your mind?
Actually sifted through the compositional developments that occur throughout many of their songs?
You've also heard of a band called Dream Theater right? Whom also happen to use so many of the same compositional devices as Metallica used (particularly evident on Images and Words).

It seems everything has to be "prog" in a traditional sense otherwise people get angry.
What about progressive ideals? The fact the band progressed the whole genre of metal. Sure enough, it might not be prog in itself, but it was "progressive" in another sense.
Some people not might get it, fair enough, but read enough books about the history of metal, study music like I have and it doesn't seem so ridiculous.

Hope you don't mind Harry.

Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 00:51
^It's cool, doesn't bother me really.
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 00:54
^^  its mostly the Metallica influences Dream Theater use that I detest and keep Dream Theater from being in my top ten bands   ..  had they chosen better mentors Dream Theaters skills could have flourished and Labrie's vocals would have actually suited the music believe it or not that man has one of the greatest natural singing voices but no good for singing thrash metal at all , do you honestly believe at age 41 mike portnoy with all his skills and superior abilities in every way to the Metallica  really gets off listening to Metallica? its just a means to an end it draws Metallica fans to Dream Theater its a buisness ploy Wink  Mike said a long time ago "Chunk and Balls is where its at"  well he was slightly wrong "Originality" is also a key ingredient  .  Its off the subject a little but this is my own point of view

Edited by Yorkie X - October 14 2008 at 01:15
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 00:58
Originally posted by sinkadotentree sinkadotentree wrote:

Well i'm a huge metal fan, but Metallica i can live without.Never been a fan.  Bring Katatonia back !!

I'm somewhere along this line. I hate thrash and all other standard forms of metal, but I take a great liking to the more progressive, forward-thinking, sophisticated, etc. metal bands. Never liked Metallica. Completely unlistenable to me. I appreciate their contribution to metal, but I think many of the bands they influenced are much better. My personal distaste for the band aside, I don't think Metallica should be here, but they fit in with a lot of the unecessary bands being added, especially to prog related, these days. Katatonia ought to be back in prog related too if we're going to be doing things like this.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
trackstoni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 01:16
   Why not  to include Metallica , they have progressive tendency in the first couples of albums , and the main issue in here is that  i believe that votes will be similar at the end , //////  keep on the good work PA , members  , nothing is easy !!!
Tracking Tracks of Rock
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 01:18
huzzah !

LiquidEternity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 01:26
Yep, truth be told, as much as the Beatles deserve to be in here, so do Metallica. Neither are prog, but both are halfway over the threshold into these sorts of realms. I'm glad both are here. And besides, if they aren't very progressive, they'll get rated kind of poorly, I hope. Then we'll have a context to compare, say, Dream Theater with more popular metal. I don't know. I'm all for expanding the database, except it means I have a few more reviews on my plate then in the future.
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 01:33
New site name >>   Music Archives  ...   "we sold our souls to rockin roll"  
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 01:37
I don't agree with their addition at all (and I'm not alone), but for productivity's sake, let's all write scathing reviews about their bad albums (the majority of their output, actually)!!! Evil%20Smile
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 01:49
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

I don't agree with their addition at all (and I'm not alone), but for productivity's sake, let's all write scathing reviews about their bad albums (the majority of their output, actually)!!! Evil%20Smile

or here's a new concept... since we are prog fans like to pat ourselves on the back for how intelligent and refined our tastes in music are.

or you could actually read the reviews of those who supported the addition... and learn something. thus maybe see why they were added here.LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Anderson III View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 03:22
...And Justice For All isn't progressive?!?!? If you think music has to be straight Zappa to be considered progressive, maybe. I think Metallica writes progressive music!
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent" - Victor Hugo
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 03:30
^ well it's obvious that one thinks that Prog Metal has no place here, they won't see the addition making any sense.  When you cut to the bone, that is really what is about. People, not just here, but in mainstream print have acknowledged they did prog metal, and were a HUGE influence on it in later years.    Personally I still wonder why they are in related, when a band does albums that are 100% 'fits' here....  just what is 'related' about it? LOL 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 05:22
They definitly belong in Prog-Related. Let's just hope they stay there.
Bigger on the inside.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 05:45
If you don't see their relation to Prog, you haven't listened to their music, only heard it - and the wrong pieces at that.

Simple.
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 05:46
Originally posted by Yorkie X Yorkie X wrote:

do you honestly believe at age 41 mike portnoy with all his skills and superior abilities in every way to the Metallica really gets off listening to Metallica?

Do you really think that liking Thrash metal is an age thing, like only adolescents listen to it? I've been listening to Metallica since I was about 14 years old ... I'm 33 now and I don't plan to stop listening to Thrash any time soon.Big%20smile
Desoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 05:57
I thought the site owner had decided not to allow this addition. What happened - did he change his mind or was he overruled?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 06:03
^ he did what many here do not....  he listened..and had an open mind hahha.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 06:07
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

[QUOTE=Yorkie X]do you honestly believe at age 41 mike portnoy with all his skills and superior abilities in every way to the Metallica really gets off listening to Metallica?

Yes I do actually. So do a lot of other people.
What the hell does the fact he has superior technical skills to Lars Ulrich and his age have anything to do with his enjoyment of Metallica? You post has got to be one of the most inane in this thread so far.
Most members of thrash metal's heyday band are now well into their 40s......wow, surprisingly they not only listen to that music, but GOD FORBID IN YOUR MID 40s YOU MIGHT ACTUALLY ENJOY PLAYING THRASH METAL.

Shocked

I plan to start a metal band one day but I guess if your logic is anything to go by, I should stop enjoying listening to bands whenever I exceed their technical abilities and once I turn 41..well, impending doom.
By extension of your logic, pretty much every metal guitarist today should never listen to Jimi Hendrix since Hendrix was pretty sloppy, every metal bass player today should stop listening to Geezer Butler, vocalists stop listening to Ozzy Osbourne.

You may get off on everything being uber tight..... meh, I just enjoy the emotion in the music dude.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 06:07
Originally posted by Desoc Desoc wrote:

I thought the site owner had decided not to allow this addition. What happened - did he change his mind or was he overruled?

Missed the 36 page discussion eh?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 21>