Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMetallica ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 21>
Poll Question: how do you fel about Metallica being added ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
42 [28.77%]
29 [19.86%]
75 [51.37%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 07:19
I don't care.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 07:34
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

Originally posted by Desoc Desoc wrote:

I thought the site owner had decided not to allow this addition. What happened - did he change his mind or was he overruled?

Missed the 36 page discussion eh?

Perhaps quite a few people did. Metallica was not allowed a few years ago, because sentiments such as expressed in this thread would've been even stronger than they are now. Now, the site has build up a reputation, and we have a properly written motivation for putting Metallica in prog-related. That's what happened. Nothing more, nothing less.

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 07:43
Originally posted by Yorkie X Yorkie X wrote:

^^  its mostly the Metallica influences Dream Theater use that I detest and keep Dream Theater from being in my top ten bands   ..  had they chosen better mentors Dream Theaters skills could have flourished...

Actually, no - without Metallica's influence, bands like Dream Theater would probably never have appeared.

and Labrie's vocals would have actually suited the music believe it or not that man has one of the greatest natural singing voices ...

Again, actually, no. I do not believe it.

I'm a qualified singing teacher, if you really want the full argument.

... do you honestly believe at age 41 mike portnoy with all his skills and superior abilities in every way to the Metallica  really gets off listening to Metallica?

Yes, he does - I found an article recently (and posted the link in the other thread) in which Portnoy paid homage to Metallica saying what I said above - that Dream Theater essentially did the same thing musically as Metallica (and Iron Maiden), but with added twiddly bits. It's not a business ploy at all - it's the foundation of their career, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing - everyone has to start somewhere.

Obviously, I'm not quoting - but that is the essence of what he said.
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
progrules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 08:04
I voted the middle option. On one hand I don't understand it on the other .... It will finally stop the pleading by the many fans that obviously visit PA ! And I'm a bit of a fan myself but not unconditionally. I just love their best albums and songs (late eighties, early nineties).

What surprises me is that a year or so ago their inclusion was unthinkable and now they're here anyway.
Does this prove the flexibility of our collaborators (or the owner) ? Or is this simply fluctuating opinion ?
This is not a heavy complaint by me I'm just flabbergasted. 
A day without prog is a wasted day
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 08:22
I have always had my doubts about whether prog metal ought to be on this website, just my little opinion, it may not be valid to you and that's perfectly understandable. Since prog metal is very much on the archives and a wide variety of bands have been covered in this umbrella, it is only fair that Metallica should be included for their sheer influence on metal, including prog-metal. So, I say it is a great inclusion. Smile
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 09:37
Not prog, should not be here, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.  I got enough problems without worrying about something so trivial.  I think I'll go check my 401(k).
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 09:51
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

and Labrie's vocals would have actually suited the music believe it or not that man has one of the greatest natural singing voices ...

Again, actually, no. I do not believe it.

I'm a qualified singing teacher, if you really want the full argument.

On Ayreon's The Human Equation he always uses his clean voice ... I think it worked very well.Smile

But one thing is clear ... no matter what Mike Portnoy wants, James L. will never sound like James H. in his old days ... but sadly the same applies to the new James H..Wink
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 10:22
^I tried to stress that I wasn't passing a personal opinion on his voice good or bad - but that "one of the greatest natural singing voices" is not accurate.

Clearly people like it, so it can't be bad.

Smile
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 11:11
^^  opinion  Approve
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 11:14
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

do you honestly believe at age 41 mike portnoy with all his skills and superior abilities in every way to the Metallica really gets off listening to Metallica?

Do you really think that liking Thrash metal is an age thing, like only adolescents listen to it? I've been listening to Metallica since I was about 14 years old ... I'm 33 now and I don't plan to stop listening to Thrash any time soon.Big%20smile
Yes ..   sadly I do believe there is something a miss when I person continues to listen to thrash past 40  Wink      heard Pathosray yet ?  great band enormous talent

Edited by Yorkie X - October 14 2008 at 11:23
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 11:18
^^^ why is it not accurate - "one of the greatest" could also mean "one of the greatest 10000".Wink

In order to stay on topic: I think that in any case he's a better singer than Hetfield Tongue, and has a better voice.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - October 14 2008 at 11:23
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 11:25

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

do you honestly believe at age 41 mike portnoy with all his skills and superior abilities in every way to the Metallica really gets off listening to Metallica?

Do you really think that liking Thrash metal is an age thing, like only adolescents listen to it? I've been listening to Metallica since I was about 14 years old ... I'm 33 now and I don't plan to stop listening to Thrash any time soon.Big%20smile
Yes ..   sadly I do believe there is something a miss when I person continues to listen to thrash past 40  Wink      heard Pathosray yet ?  great band enormous talent

I'm clearly Abnormal.Wink

BTW: I even purchased the new Pathosray album ... I really liked it.Smile
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 12:08
Originally posted by progrules progrules wrote:

I voted the middle option. On one hand I don't understand it on the other .... It will finally stop the pleading by the many fans that obviously visit PA ! And I'm a bit of a fan myself but not unconditionally. I just love their best albums and songs (late eighties, early nineties).

What surprises me is that a year or so ago their inclusion was unthinkable and now they're here anyway.
Does this prove the flexibility of our collaborators (or the owner) ? Or is this simply fluctuating opinion ?
This is not a heavy complaint by me I'm just flabbergasted. 

Maybe, just maybe, it would help to read before you write. The answer to your question is a few posts above it.... Wink
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 12:54
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

or here's a new concept... since we are prog fans like to pat ourselves on the back for how intelligent and refined our tastes in music are.

or you could actually read the reviews of those who supported the addition... and learn something. thus maybe see why they were added here.LOL

Booooooooooooring!!

I'd rather make jokes like "Music Archives" or my favorite "My Favorite Bands Archive" or something to that extent. Since the majority was ignored and the band was added anyway, the only thing I can do is find ways to entertain myself be it writing reviews for all 450 of their horrible albums or drawing very hateful and dadaist pictures of what I perceive Metallica fans to look like. It's just the way I work! Cool
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 13:02
LOL  yeah... there is something to be said for keeping the site on it's toes and not having a boring stagnant site  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 13:04
Whether a band is or is not here has precisely zero effect on my enjoyment of this site.
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 13:31
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

or here's a new concept... since we are prog fans like to pat ourselves on the back for how intelligent and refined our tastes in music are.

or you could actually read the reviews of those who supported the addition... and learn something. thus maybe see why they were added here.LOL

Booooooooooooring!!

I'd rather make jokes like "Music Archives" or my favorite "My Favorite Bands Archive" or something to that extent. Since the majority was ignored and the band was added anyway, the only thing I can do is find ways to entertain myself be it writing reviews for all 450 of their horrible albums or drawing very hateful and dadaist pictures of what I perceive Metallica fans to look like. It's just the way I work! Cool

Hahahaha! This made my day.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 13:33

LOL  yeah... there is something to be said for keeping the site on it's toes and not having a boring stagnant site  

Don't give away our intentions, Micky - how would you feel if we spoiled your wedding surprise in that manner/? Wink
ISKC Rock Radio
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 13:55
I actually have nothing against their music, really like them between 1984-88, but I feel that they are too famous, trendy and "cool" for a Progressive Rock site.
Death Magnetic has already 7 reviews, ratings,  and the really painful St Anger has already 5.
People bother with them more, than  some "real" prog bands.
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2008 at 15:42
Me? I'm glad Metallica's here. They definetely pushed the boundaries. The only reason anybody should be unhappy about them being here is their boring material, when Bob Rock dumbed them down.

Does anybody remember some Bob Rock quote where he said something along the lines of "I liked Metallica's riffs and stuff, but I think it would be better for them to focus on one riff for an entire song than go off in different directions". They were being very progressive and developing their sound, but then they got kind of boring. I think they were pretty darn progressive (in the progressive sense, not the prog sense).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 21>