Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMike Oldfield's category?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2008 at 15:11
Originally posted by Desoc Desoc wrote:

Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

As mentioned, Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn, Incantations, Amarok are prog albums, in fact they're the basis of Oldfield being included in (I dare say) any prog "archive". But, different to Yes and Genesis selling out, Mike Oldfield didn't just go wrong into pop, he's in fact renown as a pop-rock artist, as much as TB or Ommadawn can be appreciated. Sure, for prog rock's purpose, the prog albums count more and no one says they don't! But Oldfield went deep into pop-rock as well, so there's no reason not to count that side as well.

Ah, but that's a good argument to move Genesis to Crossover as well, isn't it?

You're on to it, Desoc. Big can of worms here. Heaven forbid someone makes the argument that Genesis should stay in Symphonic because they're important, while Oldfield should stay in Crossover because he's not. It's not about how well regarded an artist is, it's about the music, surely.

My honest view is that 'Crossover Prog' is a problematic genre. It doesn't describe the music, rather it describes the supposed intention of the artist. It's a result of the unhealthy obsession around here of people determined to separate 'prog' from 'pop' - as though prog isn't a subset of popular music.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2008 at 15:51
Originally posted by russellk russellk wrote:

Originally posted by Desoc Desoc wrote:

Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

As mentioned, Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn, Incantations, Amarok are prog albums, in fact they're the basis of Oldfield being included in (I dare say) any prog "archive". But, different to Yes and Genesis selling out, Mike Oldfield didn't just go wrong into pop, he's in fact renown as a pop-rock artist, as much as TB or Ommadawn can be appreciated. Sure, for prog rock's purpose, the prog albums count more and no one says they don't! But Oldfield went deep into pop-rock as well, so there's no reason not to count that side as well.

Ah, but that's a good argument to move Genesis to Crossover as well, isn't it?

You're on to it, Desoc. Big can of worms here. Heaven forbid someone makes the argument that Genesis should stay in Symphonic because they're important, while Oldfield should stay in Crossover because he's not. It's not about how well regarded an artist is, it's about the music, surely.

My honest view is that 'Crossover Prog' is a problematic genre. It doesn't describe the music, rather it describes the supposed intention of the artist. It's a result of the unhealthy obsession around here of people determined to separate 'prog' from 'pop' - as though prog isn't a subset of popular music.
Not quite true from the Xover Team's perspective - we genuinely assess the music regardless of the intent. Some bands who use 'Progressive' as a catch-all tag on MySpace do not produce music that can be related to Progressive Rock as we know it, we try our best to assess those bands on their music, not their intentions. However, this approach is used for new additions, not for artists that were already extant in the Art Rock sub before the split... we could go through the entire sub and re-assess every band, but we do not have all the free time in the world to do that.

Individual cases (such as this) when brought up will be looked at - over the past year after re-assessing them we have moved several bands out of Xover while a few other's have been moved in (Gazpacho, It Bites, Paatos, Timothy Pure) . To date we (as a Team) have never blocked a move out of Xover and Mike Oldfield would be no different if another subgenre Team accepted him.

Xover was created around artists like Supertramp, The Moody Blues and Mike Oldfield who fused Pop with Prog, rather than bands like Yes, Floyd and Genesis who did both but not at the same time. A slight variation of this is the number of solo-artists from Prog bands who reside in Xover (Tony Banks, Keith Emmerson, Peter Gabriel, Steve Howe, Roger Waters, Alan White, Carl Palmer, Jordan Rudess & John Petrucci) rather than in the sub of their 'home' band because they produced Crossover solo albums rather than Prog Related solo albums (eg David Gilmour Cry)
What?
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2008 at 20:08
^Fair enough, Dean - I wasn't really questioning the sub-genre, more feeling for its boundaries, I guess. I still haven't got a real sense of Xover, even though many of my favourite artists have found a home here. I wondered where Gazpacho had gone!

I guess the problem is my own. I hear pop music in most classic prog. It's further confused by the commercial success many prog bands enjoyed, even on the singles charts, in the early 1970s. For that reason I've always been strongly resistant to the myth that pure prog bands became pure pop in time for the early 80s - I don't think it was as fundamental a shift as that. There was pop in the prog of the 70s and prog in the pop of the 80s, it seems to me. This makes Xover a difficult concept for me to grasp.
splyu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2008 at 02:52
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Xover was created around artists like Supertramp, The Moody Blues and Mike Oldfield who fused Pop with Prog, rather than bands like Yes, Floyd and Genesis who did both but not at the same time.

Sorry, this is simply not true. Genesis had pop tunes in the 70s - More Fool Me, I Know What I Like, Follow You..., Carpet Crawlers, and more. And they had prog tunes in the 80s and 90s - Dodo / Lurker, Home By The Sea, Domino, Fading Lights, and more. Not to even mention Duke which is a par excellance example of an album that combines prog and pop. How is that so much different from what Oldfield did?
splyu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2008 at 02:56
Originally posted by russellk russellk wrote:

I guess the problem is my own. I hear pop music in most classic prog. It's further confused by the commercial success many prog bands enjoyed, even on the singles charts, in the early 1970s. For that reason I've always been strongly resistant to the myth that pure prog bands became pure pop in time for the early 80s - I don't think it was as fundamental a shift as that. There was pop in the prog of the 70s and prog in the pop of the 80s, it seems to me. This makes Xover a difficult concept for me to grasp.

I absolutely agree here. In fact, I feel that Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn (not even Incantations!) are among the only prog albums I've ever heard from any artist that contain no or next to no pop influence at all. Remember pop doesn't just mean 80s plastic pop. It initially meant The Beatles and the like, and The Beatles have influenced all of the early prog pioneers (name an exception if you can).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123