Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2008 at 07:59
Originally posted by Bitterblogger Bitterblogger wrote:

Originally posted by proglil49 proglil49 wrote:

Considering half of Yes is on the line-up, I'd go for a name like "Half-Yes" or "Maybe"

Time to brush off Cinema again (hey, Anderson wasn't part of that, either. . .) Or is that old news?LOL
Or Fakemen with Wakeman?

Cinema would really be the wrong name for this line up. But if Trevor Rabin and Tony Kaye would come back that would be the right name. 

Look at this old topic for more opinions on this: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=49393&KW=yes&PN=3 (look at the bottom of this page)

Edited by SouthSideoftheSky - November 04 2008 at 08:05
Codis View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2008 at 08:51
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

Good idea, let's hope the Yes fans still come out in droves to support them.

I got my ticket to Asbury Park, NJ on Nov. 15!  And I'll be wearing my 'Yes' shirt.
Grammy Award Winning Jethro Tull!
1989 Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance     
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2008 at 09:51
One of my friends who is Yes addict won't go to any show since he likes Jon Anderson's voice so much.I'm
quite dubious:I really enjoy Yes but without Anderson.On the other side if I'm able to see them why not?
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2008 at 13:45
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

NOT Yes touring, In The Present?
Wait a minute... "In The Present"??? And what about "For The Moment"? Or, even better, "Only For The Tour"?
Is this a name for a band or is it the type of contract that David Benoit signed???

We're only in it for the money, that's by Frank Zappa but not too inappropriate in this case, I'm afraid.Unhappy
That could be rather the name of the tour  actually.
Touring with some new tunes with Jon would be a different story.
JIF8882 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2008 at 22:40
I think Drama is a damn, fine album. Sure, no John, but still good. Some parts were heavier than the typical Yes
J Dawg
JIF8882 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2008 at 22:46
Hello, are you mad? Larks' Tongue in Spic and Red are 2 fine KC albums made after Greg, Ian, and Mike left. Ever heard of John Wetton, Bill Bruford, David Cross, and Jamie Muir? They're some fine musicians who in played KC long after the original players had left
J Dawg
Frippertron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 03:13
Just another "Yes" tour promoting no album... In fact, half Yes half Not.. Sooo.. "NotYes" should be the name Tongue
Grown tired of the band now.. Yes were finished in 2001, now its getting silly..

Might as well go and see a good tribute band (which "In The Present" virtually are with 3 ex Yes members guesting).

A good tribute band doing the UK circuit at the moment is SeYes... They are fantastic.. Check them out.  Singer miles better than Benoit.
The Cheerful Insanity of Prog Rock
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 06:17
Originally posted by JIF8882 JIF8882 wrote:

Hello, are you mad? Larks' Tongue in Spic and Red are 2 fine KC albums made after Greg, Ian, and Mike left. Ever heard of John Wetton, Bill Bruford, David Cross, and Jamie Muir? They're some fine musicians who in played KC long after the original players had left

I don't think I'm mad, I just have a different taste that's all. And quite a few people agree with me that In The Court Of The Crimson King is the best King Crimson album. I do like Red too, but Larks' Tounges In Aspic I don't like very much, only Book Of Saturday and Easy Money - the rest is not my cup of tea.

John Wetton and Bill Bruford are people I admire a lot, but I don't think they did their best work with King Crimson. BTW, Wetton's live DVD Amorata is really good, and contains some Crimson material together with some songs by UK and Asia - highly recommended! Also, Steve Hackett's live DVD The Tokyo Tapes on which Wetton sings and Ian McDonald plays flutes and keys and more, is extremely good. It also features some King Crimson songs from the early days. These DVD's kicks Deja Vroom's ass by a wide margin IMO.

Speaking of madness, how mad do you have to be to leave the best band in the history of the world at the very hight of their power to join King Crimson instead Tongue
dzx View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 10:34

I think Drama is a damn, fine album. Sure, no John, but still good. Some parts were heavier than the typical Yes

Absolutely, For me Johns lyrics grate with me when they are at their most holy or sanctimonious, Enjoy a lot of Yes but Drama really has bite
was that just an Am augmented minor 9th i heard? nice!
dzx View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 10:35

How about adding Belew to that list!
was that just an Am augmented minor 9th i heard? nice!
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 10:59
Originally posted by dzx dzx wrote:

How about adding Belew to that list!

Yeah, if you like Talking Heads Tongue
Frippertron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 15:20
I do love the smell of bullsh*t in the morning.. What the hell are folk going on about?

This is about "In The Present" not other bands.

The Cheerful Insanity of Prog Rock
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 20:52

The current line-up (meaning sans Jon) also means the others can play songs Jon wouldn't, including some of the Jon era(s) heavier numbers. So this will be the chance to hear some of them live.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2008 at 20:54

I agree with your comment. I just meant that KC has been just about the only "revolving door" band that hasn't suffered the wrath of its' fans because of members leaving or being kicked out.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2008 at 19:13
[/QUOTE]
I agree with your comment. I just meant that KC has been just about the only "revolving door" band that hasn't suffered the wrath of its' fans because of members leaving or being kicked out.
[/QUOTE]

From what I gather, nobody's dissing Carlos Santana much, either.
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2008 at 09:00

Considering half of Yes is on the line-up, I'd go for a name like "Half-Yes" or "Maybe"

Time to brush off Cinema again (hey, Anderson wasn't part of that, either. . .) Or is that old news?LOL
Or Fakemen with Wakeman?

I could not agree with dubbing Oliver Wakeman as Fakemen - he is a talented musician, who inherited much from his father, not just looks or keyboard style, but also had his own achievements, this is reinforcement for Yes
yet you still have time!
peskypesky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2008 at 14:02
I might go see this incarnation, even without Jon. David's voice is eerily similar and I think he'll do a fine job. 

As for the name? "Roundabout"? Cause I'll bet you they play it.  :)
Prog fan since 1974.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2008 at 13:03
Wow this guy sings exactly like Anderson. Great decision! Yes without Anderson is NOT Yes. I hope they come to Argentina... though I doubt it

Edited by el böthy - November 10 2008 at 13:05
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2008 at 16:23
Originally posted by RaphaelT RaphaelT wrote:

Or Fakemen with Wakeman?

I could not agree with dubbing Oliver Wakeman as Fakemen - he is a talented musician, who inherited much from his father, not just looks or keyboard style, but also had his own achievements, this is reinforcement for Yes

Um, Oliver wasn't meant to be in the Fakemen part. . .
Codis View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2008 at 09:12
A review from the opening night show:  http://www.thespec.com/Entertainment/article/461397

"This one had problems for me from the outset.

First there were the personal ones. I mean, was Yes really that impressive back in 1971? Or was I just an impressionable kid?

Back then we were looking for something different. The Beatles were long gone and the Haight-Ashbury hippies were turning back to their musical roots.

We wanted something new, our own, something bigger, that would turn rock into an art form, something of which we could be proud.

Yes filled the bill. The music was grand in scope. The lyrics were indecipherable. (Were those really "marmots coming out of the sky" in Roundabout?). It may not have been better, but it was certainly different from Crosby, Stills And Nash. But maybe, just maybe, Yes was overblown pretentious rubbish?

There was also the baggage that Yes brought themselves. We had Chris Squire, Steve Howe and Alan White were more than old. They had wanted this year to be Yes's 40th anniversary tour, but vocalist Jon Anderson's health wasn't up to it. They decided, over his protestations, to carry on with it anyway.

They did the unthinkable and hired an unknown Montreal tribute artist, Benoit David, to take his place. Anderson squawked. They wrote him off, nonetheless, and did it without him. Legendary keyboard player Rick Wakeman wasn't up to it, either. So they picked up his son, Oliver. Oh, the humanity!

Last night, however, Squire, Howe and White proved this had nothing to do with betrayal, pretention, sentimentality or even money. These guys had to perform the music they were born to play. There was no plus in waiting for Anderson to heal. The music was too good and so were they.

Why not take up a guy like David who last night proved he could sing the contralto vocals as well as Anderson could in his prime? Why not pick up a kid who looked exactly like his dad? He has the music in his blood.

Howe and Squire are amazing musicians, as good, if not better , than we thought back in 1971. They're simply one of the greatest guitar-bass teams in the history of rock 'n' roll. They proved it time and again last night.

They opened with Siberian Khatru, for Pete's sake, a showcase for Howe's needlepoint guitar and Squire's precision thunder on bass.

They dared to turn it into I've Seen All Good People, deftly pulling off its ragtime break, before heading into Heart Of The Sunrise. By the time they had finished off the opening set with the Close To The Edge suite, the audience was simply dumbfounded. The vocal harmonies were fantastic. There was a White drum solo that made us understand why he was John Lennon's favourite.

Back in 1971, we had nothing to be ashamed of. Last night, Yes stood the test of time."

Grammy Award Winning Jethro Tull!
1989 Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance     
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12