Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush vs The Beatles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 30>
Poll Question: Who do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
182 [43.65%]
235 [56.35%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2009 at 13:28
i 've missed this poll till now  i guess, so to say a few things.. without hesitation Rush. 
mr.cub View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2009 at 14:22
Ive lived my entire life without Rush but cannot fathom living without The Beatles. That is simply the personal effect their music has had on me. Im sure people can relate to Rush for one reason or another, but they never communicated something greater to me like the Beatles. I have tried out a few Rush albums lately and I like the musicianship but again the Beatles literally changed my outlook on life, there is something greater than the music at work with them. And I do not think I can say the same about Rush

claugroi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2009 at 18:53
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL it's like comparing Close to the Edge to Love Beach...

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE BEATLES !
Symphonic Prog Master
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 02:15
Originally posted by memowakeman memowakeman wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

It is easier to understand than the fuss about Rush, at least from an historic point of view. I doubt we would have prog today if it hadn't been for the Beatles.

That is why i am not really a Beatles follower, i think their value is just from the historic point of view as you said, they openend doors for new music, sounds and new genres, but i find most of their music boring.

I am not a true Rush follower either, but i actually listen to them more and prefer them over Beatles.

Right on bro.
I'd rather take a band that still has a lot of historical significance that I can actually enjoy listening to than a band with even more historical significance which I find to be garbage except for these 2 songs Helter Skelter and Revolution no.9.
And I'm not a true Rush follower either, FWIW.
BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 04:19

It is easier to understand than the fuss about Rush, at least from an historic point of view. I doubt we would have prog today if it hadn't been for the Beatles.

Well, they surely gave way to introducing a new level of experimentation in music, delivering it pleasantly enough to reach the ears of the average rock listeners.
A flower?

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 05:32
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

That is why i am not really a Beatles follower, i think their value is just from the historic point of view as you said, they openend doors for new music, sounds and new genres, but i find most of their music boring.

I am not a true Rush follower either, but i actually listen to them more and prefer them over Beatles.

Right on bro.
I'd rather take a band that still has a lot of historical significance that I can actually enjoy listening to than a band with even more historical significance which I find to be garbage except for these 2 songs Helter Skelter and Revolution no.9.

there are a lot more songs by the Beatles which I can listen to and liking it still, not only "Helter Skelter" and "Revolution Nr. 9". songs like "Julia" or "I will" have wonderful melodies. the Beatles had a great knack for melodies, which is unrivalled by any other prog band, in my opinion. even conductor and composer Leonard Bernstein admired the melodies of the Beatles

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 07:17
I'm a big fan of the Beatles. I'm an even bigger fan of Rush.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 07:18

Right on bro.

there are a lot more songs by the Beatles which I can listen to and liking it still, not only "Helter Skelter" and "Revolution Nr. 9". songs like "Julia" or "I will" have wonderful melodies. the Beatles had a great knack for melodies, which is unrivalled by any other prog band, in my opinion. even conductor and composer Leonard Bernstein admired the melodies of the Beatles

Fair enough. I still don't like The Beatles except those 2 songsWink
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 07:22

Right on bro.

That's because you're silly! Angry
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 07:26
Originally posted by Abstrakt Abstrakt wrote:

Right on bro.

That's because you're silly! Angry

Or because I don't buy into the media hype like some people do.
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 07:28
Yeah. We've all been duped into liking what we like. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 07:29
Shut up LinusLOL
LinusW View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 07:30

Shut up LinusLOL

You started it! LOL
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 08:41
I find it funny that the sacrosanct Beatles are only winning by a small margin much to the disapproval of indignant Beatles purists. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 09:36
the Beatles are sacrosanct? since when? certainly not in here. judging by some of the posts in the forum one would rather get the impression that Rush are sacrosanct Wink. you just have to look at all the drummer polls which end 1) Peart .... nothing for a while... 2) others. Big smile

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 11:54

the Beatles are sacrosanct? since when? certainly not in here. judging by some of the posts in the forum one would rather get the impression that Rush are sacrosanct Wink. you just have to look at all the drummer polls which end 1) Peart .... nothing for a while... 2) others. Big smile

Yes i completely agree in that.
Rush Archives? gimme a....LOL

JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 12:05

Peart will never touch Lennon in terms of songwriting ability or creativity.

That being said, technically speaking the better band is obvious, but from a prog standpoint, The Beatles had much more influence than Rush ever did. Rush inspired more Metal guys than Proggers.

This poll is near impossible to vote on for me, but I'm gonna have to go with the fab four.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 13:45

True on a local level maybe, but globally as you said Rush are given relatively little credit, but The Beatles tend to considered to best band ever all over. As Hughes said it seems you have to apologize whenever you label The Beatles as worse than any other artists.

I was only referring to Beatles choosers posting in this thread actually.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 14:10
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

True on a local level maybe, but globally as you said Rush are given relatively little credit, but The Beatles tend to considered to best band ever all over. As Hughes said it seems you have to apologize whenever you label The Beatles as worse than any other artists.

I was only referring to Beatles choosers posting in this thread actually.

I don't think they tend to be considered the best band ever, and certainly not by me. but they are definitely one of the most influential bands ever. it is not just all hype about them, and anyone who says that should think again. of course their music has dated some, and there certainly were a lot of simple commercial songs by them in the beginning, but from "Rubber Soul" on they started to go in a different direction, and "Revolver" is already an excellent album that people should listen to as a whole before denigrating them. you may not like them, but their historic importance is beyond any doubt

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2009 at 15:03
Originally posted by Keltic Keltic wrote:

Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski Petrovsk Mizinski wrote:

There is also a whole ton of non Beatles fans and people that even hate The Beatles probably rolling on the floor laughing because they think for themselves and don't think The Beatles is the best band ever because Rolling Stone magazine tells people they are.
It's people like you that make people think we have to apologize for not liking this supposedly 'BEST BAND EVAH ZONG".
I don't apologize for hating most of their music. I think the Beatles suck and would rather listen to Eminem quite frankly.
I also feel their legacy is only tangentially related to music, the rest is just a world of media over hype that they left for us.

What in the name of distilled cheap vodka and stupid haircuts do Russians know about music ? LOL

Besides, for what it's worth,  I grew up with The Beatles in the 60s and have never read Rolling Stone in my life.  The Beatles really were huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeee ! StarStarStarStar
 I honestly don't give a twopenny fart whether you like them or not. Your loss, comrade. Tongue
[/QUOTE]

RussianConfusedLOLLOLLOL?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 30>