Topic ClosedOpeth in Old London Town (UK) 20th November 08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opeth in Old London Town (UK) 20th November 08
    Posted: November 22 2008 at 10:03
I am a fairly new fan of Opeth, picking them up in the wake of Porcupine Tree a few years ago. Death Metal seems to be becoming huge around the world and by what I saw on Thursday night I got a feeling I was witnessing the growth of a new revolution in Rock music, the feeling I got way back in the 70's when seeing Queen at Hammy Odeon for instance, and Aerosmith - there was a new enthusiasm brewing among the throng of concert-goers, an enthusiasm which lasted for many years.

The "House Full" signs at the Shepherd's Bush Empire were out, the touts were busy, hmmm....haven't seen this for some time - the long wait in the queue was amply rewarded with some great music from three bands playing tonight - "The Ocean", "Cynic" and headlining "Opeth". The two support bands I was unfamiliar with, though had a warm greeting from the crowd; "The Ocean" - three guitarists gyrating with the music like demented six-year-olds, growling lyrics, thundering drums - a bit too dark for me but the band that followed "Cynic" I enjoyed a lot and sounded more melodic to my ears.

Opeth, as I expected, delivered a very loud and polished performance - those twin bass drums could knock you out of your seat! They played a few songs from their new album "Watershed", and from earlier albums "Still Life" and "My Arms...".  The huge screen at the back showed little more than the camera wandering through a forest, but it all fell together very well - frontman Mikael Åkerfeldt very relaxed and good-humoured with the crowd, who said London audiences were difficult...?  ...though I noticed a very mixed crowd, some appeared to be blonde Scandinavian followers?

The band came back on for a brilliant rendition of "Drapery Falls" (which I had been eagerly anticipating.... obviously) before departing amid the lights and smoke....sure to return somewhere bigger and more expensive next time.....this band are big, and getting bigger! Wink

Edited by mystic fred - November 28 2008 at 10:46
Prog Archives Tour Van
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2008 at 12:55
Really good review Steve..

My appreciation for Opeth has been steadily growing in the last year or so. I intend to catch them live myself at some point. They seem to be a cut above many other prog metal bands I've heard.

The young lad who's temping for me, at work, went to this gig, btw. He's a huge fan. He said they were superb. Mind you, I had to send him home early, he had the hangover from hell, and was totally useless at work the next day! I can overlook his lack of commitment, as he's had drumming lessons from Bill Bruford, and loved the King Crimson album I played him! Gawd bless him!
PinkPangolin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2008 at 17:30
They were mega-good in Bristol too last night - I had the same feelings as you to The Ocean and Cynic also - I am a new fan of theirs too following in the wake of Porcupine Tree.

Did you see any Porcupine Tree t-shirts in the crowd?  I did.  Also there were Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull ones too...  YeeeehhaaarrrrrrrrrrrTongue
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2008 at 02:31
^ yeah, lots of t-shirts of bands i have not heard of  in the DM genre, and even Iron Maiden! (theres always one!) LOL

Prog Archives Tour Van
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2008 at 04:20
Yep!  I saw an Iron Maiden one too!
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2008 at 10:36
Originally posted by PinkPangolin PinkPangolin wrote:

....same bloke...?  Confused

Prog Archives Tour Van
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2008 at 11:54
They've got great supporting bands this Eurpoean tour. The US got Nachmystium (replaced by Barroness half the tour) and High On Fire. It made them sound 10x better, but still, I would've LOVED to see The Ocean and Cynic.

Great review BTW.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2008 at 04:58
Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

Originally posted by PinkPangolin PinkPangolin wrote:

....same bloke...?  Confused

LOLLOL Like it...
LOL
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2008 at 07:36
I would have loved to see that package, but unfortunately I couldn't afford to take a day off and travel to Munich. But I got the Roundhouse Tapes ... Smile
Evolutionary Sleeper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2009 at 13:32
That lineup makes me wish I lived in Europe. So awesome X3!! I <3  Opeth and Cynic (obviously) and The Ocean isn't too bad themselves. Nice review!

Edited by Evolutionary_Sleeper - January 01 2009 at 13:40
 Post Reply Post Reply