Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Epignosis Christmas Wish List

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which albums should Santa get me for Christmas?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
22 [7.91%]
7 [2.52%]
5 [1.80%]
2 [0.72%]
8 [2.88%]
9 [3.24%]
13 [4.68%]
2 [0.72%]
6 [2.16%]
6 [2.16%]
18 [6.47%]
0 [0.00%]
19 [6.83%]
2 [0.72%]
5 [1.80%]
13 [4.68%]
42 [15.11%]
34 [12.23%]
29 [10.43%]
7 [2.52%]
10 [3.60%]
12 [4.32%]
7 [2.52%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 06:51
Hi Robert,

Firstly I'll compliment you on a great poll, very interesting as usual Clap.

There's quite a few I've got but also some I need too.  I've picked out 5, so that your wife's bank balance isn't stretched too much!

I second Natural Science re: Yesshows.  I can't believe how poorly rated that album is, it's great and one of my faves by Yes.  The version of Gates of Delirium is incredible, in my top 5 of all time without a doubt.  Moraz is excellent.  I can wholly recommend this album, it's one I still play regularly and for me it's much better than Yessongs.

I can see The Sky Moves Sideways is proving popular, and rightly so.  This is superb, PT's best IMHO, from the era when they played their best stuff.  The bonus disc is good too.  The Moonloop "excursions" are great although knowing you buddy might be accused of a bit too much noodling Big smile.  For me their new stuff is not a patch on this.

Shadowlands by Glass Hammer is a fine album too, although I personally prefer Lex Rex.  Shadowlands is very strong though, not a weak track on that one, though the Going For The One influence is a bit strong on Run Lisette!  The opener and the epic Behind The Great Beyond stand out for me.

I love Eloy, so recommending Ocean is easy.  In my view, once your used to Frank's accent, you are away and this is a great album.  I am requesting a few of theirs on my similar Christmas wish list!!

I also go along with Atom Heart Mother too.  Worth buying for the groundbreaking title track.

All things considered Robert, you are in for a great Christmas.  Well deserved, too.

Roj. 
Gog/Magog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 07:12
I'd recommend Please Don't Touch, Pawn Hearts, Camel and a wedge of Stilton Tongue
Some swear they see me weeping in the poppy fields of France
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 07:38
There are enough classics there which are missing from your collection, so what are you waiting for? Geek I don't know how much you can spend for Christmas music presents, but if I were you, I'd secure Aqualung, Lizard and (depending on tastes) Ommadawn or Pawn Hearts in my collection. Out of the others I know, Phideaux, Floyd, Philipps, Caravan - rewarding purchases.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 08:37
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

...Wait a minute! I don't get it. YOUR WIFE DECISION? WHAT ABOUT SANTA?Tongue

When you reach the stage in life that myself and Epignosis find ourselves in, the wife is Santa.  Wink

Absolutely.

She watches everything I do, I get to sit on her lap, she eats craploads of cookies, she's fat, and I get to tug on her beard.  Big smile

Oh wait. Confused
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 08:46
Originally posted by Roj M30 Roj M30 wrote:

Hi Robert,

Firstly I'll compliment you on a great poll, very interesting as usual Clap.

There's quite a few I've got but also some I need too.  I've picked out 5, so that your wife's bank balance isn't stretched too much!

I second Natural Science re: Yesshows.  I can't believe how poorly rated that album is, it's great and one of my faves by Yes.  The version of Gates of Delirium is incredible, in my top 5 of all time without a doubt.  Moraz is excellent.  I can wholly recommend this album, it's one I still play regularly and for me it's much better than Yessongs.

I can see The Sky Moves Sideways is proving popular, and rightly so.  This is superb, PT's best IMHO, from the era when they played their best stuff.  The bonus disc is good too.  The Moonloop "excursions" are great although knowing you buddy might be accused of a bit too much noodling Big smile.  For me their new stuff is not a patch on this.

Shadowlands by Glass Hammer is a fine album too, although I personally prefer Lex Rex.  Shadowlands is very strong though, not a weak track on that one, though the Going For The One influence is a bit strong on Run Lisette!  The opener and the epic Behind The Great Beyond stand out for me.

I love Eloy, so recommending Ocean is easy.  In my view, once your used to Frank's accent, you are away and this is a great album.  I am requesting a few of theirs on my similar Christmas wish list!!

I also go along with Atom Heart Mother too.  Worth buying for the groundbreaking title track.

All things considered Robert, you are in for a great Christmas.  Well deserved, too.

Roj. 

Thanks so much, buddy.  I'm intrigued with a few of your recommendations, particularly Yesshows- I have Yessongs (it was the first CD of Yes I ever bought.  I bought it thinking it was a greatest hits collection.  LOL); I have never been pleased with the sound quality on that one.

I hope you (and everyone here) has a wonderful, prog-filled Christmas.  If anyone else wants to, please make your own wish list poll for the gift-giving season.  I'd be happy to help!

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 08:50
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

There are enough classics there which are missing from your collection, so what are you waiting for? Geek I don't know how much you can spend for Christmas music presents, but if I were you, I'd secure Aqualung, Lizard and (depending on tastes) Ommadawn or Pawn Hearts in my collection. Out of the others I know, Phideaux, Floyd, Philipps, Caravan - rewarding purchases.

Thanks Rico.  I realize I'm missing several "classics," but part of the prog pleasure is actually going to a music store and looking for things.  So I'm usually disappointed, but I enjoy the thrill of finding something I wouldn't expect them to have.  I don't do much online shopping (though my wife will for Christmas).

And I told my wife she could spend $35 on me (that's two or three albums).  Not much, but things are tight until I can find work. 

I always spend a fortune on her anyway.  She deserves it.  Smile

For her birthday this month, I took her to The Loft, which is an upscale clothing store, and she got a promotion that if she spends $100 there in December, she gets an additional $100 worth of merchandise free.  So that's what she's getting.  Approve
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 10:03
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Dear Santa,

I have been an especially good boy this year (except for some bits I hope you didn't see).  I didn't shoot a single reindeer (nor did I hit one with my car), I kept a good attitude despite losing my job, and I chased down a purse snatcher (seriously).  I think I deserve some good prog music to welcome 2009. 

Please and thank you,
Epignosis

PS.  If you give me a stocking full of coal again, I swear I'll use it to light your shanty of a house in the North Pole on fire.  And I love venison.

Hi, PA- before I send this letter off to Santa Claus, please help me decide which items on my wish list I should have.

Note: I've enabled multiple votes, so if you would recommend all of them, please do so!  I'm greedy! Big smile
Oh Epi you're the MAN,LOLLOL

Your polls always are a bit of a fresh air to me.

Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 10:14
oh and the list, i would recommend:

Atom Heart Mother, the Pinnacle of his "orchestral sound" and two crown's jewel, Summer of 68 and If.
Yessshows, a wonderful live album parts with Bruford and Parts with then new drummer Alan White. wonderful rendition of Close To The Edge and Heart of the Sunrise.
Aqualung, one of the best records of JT that i ever hear, Feature Aqualung, Wondering Aloud, Mother Goose, My God, Hymn 43 , excellent album!!!!!!!
Ommadawn i did not remember quite that album, but i think that is a good one, entire years have passed since i heard that album.
KC Lizard, wow!!!! simply wow!!! a gem !!! a must have!!!
Please Don't Touch ST have a really very good album as a footnote the title track was going to be in Genesis' W&W but they other members prefer Blood in the Roof.
Eloy's Ocean is a very good album, one of the most beatiful album that i remember of Eloy.
Pawn Hearts, a outstanding album of VDGF a must!!!!
Camel the first, i always be very symphatize with the first albums of a band, Six Ate and Slow Yourself Down among others a re great!!!

Oh Acquiring the Taste, a good one  of GG you wont miss this.
Golf Girl, a really good track of In the Land of Grey and Pink.

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 10:17
GO OCEAN, GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!1!!!!!!1!1111!!!!!ONEONEONEONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ELEVEN!!!111!!!!
Jozef View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 10:36
I would recommend these.

-Anthony Phillips: "The Geese and the Ghost"
-Pink Floyd: "Atom Heart Mother"
-King Crimson: "Lizard"
-Van Der Graaf Generator: "Pawn Hearts"
-Camel: "Camel" (Or "Moonmadness" if you don't already own it)
-Caravan: "In the Land of Grey and Pink"

RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 10:42

I could not believe Ocean would actually win with Aqualung, Pawn Hearts, Lizard, In The Land Of Grey And Pink

But I recommend all of them and also Doomsday Afternoon by Phideaux (after listening to one track at my space I say it is definitely a must)
yet you still have time!
Bern View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 10:51
I honestly don't see why Snakes & Arrows would win this poll. It's not nearly as essential as most albums in this poll.

I'd personnally suggest Pawn Hearts and In the land of grey and pink but according to what I know about your taste, you haven't dwelved into those bands much yet so it's a guess to take.

RIP in bossa nova heaven.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 11:14
Hmmm, a sudden surge of vote for Ocean and particularly Snakes and Arrows...... 

Much as I love Eloy, could it be that some wag is exploiting the "multi vote" nature of this poll?  If so, the perpetrators must be rounded up, bound, gagged and forced to listen to Love Beach on a loop at 110db for the next week. 
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 11:50
Originally posted by Alberto Muñoz Alberto Muñoz wrote:

Dear Santa,

I have been an especially good boy this year (except for some bits I hope you didn't see).  I didn't shoot a single reindeer (nor did I hit one with my car), I kept a good attitude despite losing my job, and I chased down a purse snatcher (seriously).  I think I deserve some good prog music to welcome 2009. 

Please and thank you,
Epignosis

PS.  If you give me a stocking full of coal again, I swear I'll use it to light your shanty of a house in the North Pole on fire.  And I love venison.

Hi, PA- before I send this letter off to Santa Claus, please help me decide which items on my wish list I should have.

Note: I've enabled multiple votes, so if you would recommend all of them, please do so!  I'm greedy! Big smile
Oh Epi you're the MAN,LOLLOL

Your polls always are a bit of a fresh air to me.

Thanks buddy.  I enjoy making polls- if they ever become stale, be sure to let me know!  Wink
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 12:00
No votes for Kerry.  Unhappy

It's probably safe to say my wife won't get me Rush- she hates Geddy Lee's voice.

But you fanboys can feel free to vote all you want.  Big smile
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2008 at 00:33
Clearly its the great work of Floyd known as "Atom Heart Mother".  Two great epics to open and close it, and several good songs in between.  Plus there is that iconic cow on the cover.  
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2008 at 04:07

Much as I love Eloy, could it be that some wag is exploiting the "multi vote" nature of this poll?  If so, the perpetrators must be rounded up, bound, gagged and forced to listen to Love Beach on a loop at 110db for the next week. 

Nobody else has spotted these strange goings-on.  I'm sure the Rush live album is good, but 42 votes........ As for Eloy's Ocean, that's one I voted for.  I didn't know there were as many as 32 Eloy fans on here in total!
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2008 at 05:00
I recommend Acquiring the Taste.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2008 at 05:36

Nobody else has spotted these strange goings-on.  I'm sure the Rush live album is good, but 42 votes........ As for Eloy's Ocean, that's one I voted for.  I didn't know there were as many as 32 Eloy fans on here in total!

I can understand Rush- there's an awful lot of fanboys here, as they themselves call them.  Alex, Mike, rushfan- we're looking at you.  Stern Smile

But as for Eloy, I don't know...it is in the top five space rock albums...
MovingPictures07 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2008 at 10:18

I can understand Rush- there's an awful lot of fanboys here, as they themselves call them.  Alex, Mike, rushfan- we're looking at you.  Stern Smile

But as for Eloy, I don't know...it is in the top five space rock albums...

I actually only voted once for all the options I told you to get, so I'm not sure where those came from.

It is funny though. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>