Topic ClosedBass Crossover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bass Crossover
    Posted: April 21 2005 at 02:00
Hi there,

In the band I have, I have changed my position to bassist, so I subsequently I will have to buy a bass. I am already familiar with playing guitar; however, I'm trying to find a bass that would make the transition from guitar to bass a bit easier. Some basses seem to have too thin necks or the frets are spaced out a bit too widely for me. I was wondering if anybody had any pointers for the kind of bass I would be looking for or more specifically any brands and models of basses I could get. I was thinking about getting a Fender Bass as they seemed to handle well, though I'd like to have a good bass sound. Price would also be another variable I'd like to put into place (nothing over 300 please )
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 04:34

I've had great luck with my $200 Yamaha, and I'm mainly a guitar player too. The E string is sometimes a little muddy, but I guess it's pretty much the same with a lot of basses.

If you don't get an active bass (it'd be a stretch in your price range), try to pick up a preamp with EQ- it'll make a world of difference in the sound.

By the way, ever notice how expensive good basses are? You can pick up a good guitar for half the price of a comparable quality bass. Anyone know why that is?

Edited by James Lee
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 09:49
I haven't got a clue James.

Good question though.
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 11:08
For 300$ canadian your going to have a tough time finding a real fender. If your really lucky you might be able to find a used one. But my advice would be to go with a squire or renegade, they are both just fender imitations. They arent as cool to own, but they essentialy the same thing as a fender. Good sound, but at a reasonable price.
Hangedman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 11:09
Originally posted by James Lee James Lee wrote:

I've had great luck with my $200 Yamaha, and I'm mainly a guitar player too. The E string is sometimes a little muddy, but I guess it's pretty much the same with a lot of basses.

yup

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 17:39
Try not to think about playing guitar at all while you're playing it (unless you're going to be tapping). You won't be able to play bass lines that sound right unless you can think like a bass player (not at all? thought I'd get that one in before any other musicians tried... )!
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2005 at 20:49
I didn't have too much trouble getting used to the bigger frets, longer neck and thicker strings, but I'm still trying to get my right hand to work properly...and I always feel like I'm cheating when I play with a pick.
Soulman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 01:17
^

Oddly enough, I seemed to catch on to the finger picking pretty easy on bass. Although I think that's partly due to the fact that I've tried playing guitar with my fingers as well as flatpicking.

I think I should do pretty well on bass since I can kind of play a bit of stride piano, which is basically blues piano with your left hand doing the bassline; so I have a bit of knowledge on bass lines. I'd admit my guitar playing friend (the only instrument he plays) can't really play bass because he's so used to playing guitar with chords and melodies etc.

Just to add, does anybody have any opinions on Epiphone basses? Perhaps any references to prog musicians that play GIbson or Epiphone basses

Edited by Soulman
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 08:26
Originally posted by James Lee James Lee wrote:

I didn't have too much trouble getting used to the bigger frets, longer neck and thicker strings, but I'm still trying to get my right hand to work properly...and I always feel like I'm cheating when I play with a pick.

I think finger picking is 'prettier' as there is more note and less attack but I think you can't beat a pick for sheer driving power (that said, Geddy Lee never has any problems using fingers and still getting that extra 'push' in the sound).

Edited by sigod
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 08:20
i own an ampeg short scale (dan armstrong style) that came out in like 2001....its perfect for the beginner...short neck and not so wide frets.....i bought it used for like 350$ but it sold new for almost a grand....if you can find one(they are out of production now) i highly recommend it....it is easy to play, all my friends that have played it say so too, and it has great aesthetics as well....by the way, playing a bass with a pick is cheating james!, put that plastic down and work that thumb out!

Edited by hopelevre
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 08:23
james-i think that it has something to do with the quality of the wood needed to produce those clean crisp sounds the good basses have....of course i have a dean evo special select electric guitar that i paid 450$ for and it will blow any les paul priced under 1500$ out of the damn water ....maybe its a "capitalism is our chance to rape the consumer" effect?

Edited by hopelevre
 Post Reply Post Reply