Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUt Gret

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ut Gret
    Posted: December 16 2008 at 11:32
This band has come up before, sometime last year.  I just ordered their album "Time of the Grets" because Wayside was selling it for cheap, and listened to it this morning - to me this is really good avant-prog.  I'm sort of waiting for Assaf to come tell me I'm wrong.  Wink

Listen here:  http://www.utgret.net/hearhere.htm.  In particular, try the track "Friend of the Cow", that's the opening track on "Time of the Grets".  I haven't yet listened to the samples from their newest.

Also, ignore the dire warning to Firefox users - I didn't have any problem playing the sample.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 13:38
Very good one. I am enjoying "Friend of the Cow". 
And here's the myspace: http://www.myspace.com/utgret

I see that Assaf felt they were more Prog Related and Blowie voted no for the archives.  They're more on the avant-jazz side than avant rock (with a world music and academic music/ opera influence).  They describe their music as pan-idiomatic, and there are wide influences (though it seems that the dominant influence/ framework is jazz).

From myspace:

Ut Gret
Experimental / Jazz / Progressive

"New 3 CD Box set "Recent Fossils" Now available!"

LOUISVILLE, Kentucky
United States

Profile Views:  7636

Last Login:  14/12/2008
View My: Pics | Videos

MySpace URL: 

http://www.myspace.com/utgret  

Ut Gret: General Info
Member Since26/05/2006
Band Websiteutgret.com
Band MembersJoee Conroy - Guitar, Bass, Violin, Viola, Mandolin, Chapman Stick, Bozouki

Gregory Acker- Flutes, Soprano Saxophone, C-melody saxophone, Percussion

Steve Good- Clarinet, Bass Clarinet, Bassoon, Percussion

Stephen Roberts- Piano, Electric Piano, Trumpet, Synthesizers, Vibraphone

Gary Pahler- Drums, Percussion, Occasional Bass Guitar

InfluencesMiles Davis, John Coltrane, Sun Ra, Frank Zappa, Indonesian Gamelan, African Music, Soft Machine, Raymond Scott, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, and free improvisers such as John Zorn, Art Ensemble of Chicago, and Bill Laswell.
Sounds LikeSometimes it is like a prog-rock group and other times like a jazz group. There's lots of world music influence, some mellotron and a few freaky clarinet solos! Do we sound like anyone in particular? The shortest answer is 'no'. The next shortest answer is 'sort of'. The best (and also third shortest) answer is 'not really'. You might get a bit of Soft Machine in a few places, the odd Crimson reference and the 'free' bits will sound like different artists to almost every individual listener. Our influences are SO diverse that, in all seriousness, it really is hard to say what we 'sound like'.
Record LabelEar-X-tacy Records
Type of LabelIndie

http://cdbaby.com/cd/utgret

There are lots of youtube videos.  For fun, here's a cover of theirs of Peaches en Regalia:

I've enjoyed what I've heard so far, and look forward to checking them out more when I have time (kids need feeding).  I've actually come across the myspace site before.  Something I think I'd like to see find itself into the archives.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2008 at 13:44
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Very good one. I am enjoying "Friend of the Cow". 
And here's the myspace: http://www.myspace.com/utgret

I see that Assaf felt they were more Prog Related and Blowie voted no for the archives.  They're more on the avant-jazz side than avant rock (with a world music and academic music/ opera influence).  They describe their music as pan-idiomatic, and there are wide influences (though it seems that the dominant influence/ framework is jazz).

I agree that they're highly eclectic - the album I listened to this morning was all over the map.  I just think there is enough of a rock element that pervades a lot of the tracks that they could have a place in RIO/Avant - but I wanted to get a lot of opinions on them as well.  I'm going to try to check out stuff from their latest 3 CD thing - I think I did hear one sample and to be honest it was less compelling for inclusion.

Bottom line is they are indeed a tough case, on the margins, but I think they've got enough to qualify.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 13:00
I'm inclined to think so too, Pat. Additionally, I am inclined to think that the parameters of acceptability (with latter additions) have broadened since it was originally proposed.
It's an interesting one, and I hope that more chime in on this. The music is worth checking out. Thumbs Up
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2008 at 13:02
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'm inclined to think so too, Pat. Additionally, I am inclined to think that the parameters of acceptability (with latter additions) have broadened since it was originally proposed.
It's an interesting one, and I hope that more chime in on this. The music is worth checking out. Thumbs Up

Indeed, I'll be re-introducing this in the ZART thread soon, but I would like to get some more feedback in this thread.  Perhaps I'll link to this in the RIO thread to get some more attention.
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2008 at 10:30

Im on their MySpace now, listening.

RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
 Post Reply Post Reply