Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why Grobschnitt isn't consider the best band ever?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy Grobschnitt isn't consider the best band ever?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Poll Question: Which is the main reason why Grobschnitt isn't consider the best band?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [42.86%]
1 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [14.29%]
2 [28.57%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 20:43
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Because they're probably not.
OH SNAP!
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 20:29
Because they're probably not.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 17:55
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

Well look what I said above. Only one bloody Grobschnitt album was released in North America on an obscure label, BOMB  Records.. All my friends at school back in the seventies thought I was some kind of freak from another galaxy when they heard this music.

I hate to say it but the internet allows for a lot more openmindedness as far as music choices go because one can pick and choose. Back in the seventies if it wasn`t being promoted in the mainstream media it just wasn`t going to make it.

Tell 'em VB. Scarcity of choices made each "find' all that much more appreciated. And as for Grobschnitt, the first time I heard about them was a few years back when I used to go through those Amazon.com lists that people post (best of this genre, this nation's bands that you need to hear, Unknown prog gems is where I saw Grobschnitt first), and from there I picked it up. Eventually, I got most of their collection.

And as far as any band being under-rated just because everyone doesn't know them, well that could apply to the Beatles too, eh.
It would be nice for our ego if our idols were as beloved by everyone else as they are by us. Then The Angels from Angel City, Et Cetera (quebec), Nick Lowe, and many others would enjoy more success than they do or did.
But funny, I still get a kick out of listening to them despite their relative obscurity. Confused
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 15:43
Well look what I said above. Only one bloody Grobschnitt album was released in North America on an obscure label, BOMB  Records.. All my friends at school back in the seventies thought I was some kind of freak from another galaxy when they heard this music.

I hate to say it but the internet allows for a lot more openmindedness as far as music choices go because one can pick and choose. Back in the seventies if it wasn`t being promoted in the mainstream media it just wasn`t going to make it.
Einsetumadur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 15:35
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Okay dokay matey, we're all ears - where can we hear/buy their music and do you feel remotely inclined to describe same ? or better still,

go through the appropriate procedure to suggest their inclusion on PA ?

In my opinion they are already included.  Smile

But that is not the point;  I 'm a student from Germany and the words that I know in English aren't enough for explaining the things that I want to say  shortly and concisely, sorry for that.

The question has got very much to do with the question "Why are Grobschnitt so heavily underrated?".
Well,  in order to answer this question  it is necessary  to know  *who*  underrates this band.  In most cases  the reason is that nobody really knows the band - and if you don't know a band,  you won't take it into your BandTop5 list.

It could be possible  that Grobschnitt would be much more popular in case they were better known everywhere on earth.  When everyone knows the band, the reasons for their unpopularity could be discussed.  But the thesis "This band is underrated"  always leads to the question "Who underrates the band?"

Here in the PA  nearly everyone who knows the band  really loves or likes it ...

That the discussion is nonsense isn't that what I want to say,  and the thread poster shall not be angry -  but at first I think  one should think about the  underrated-tism  of the band.  Wink

All in all each man in all men
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 14:36
Ask any German who grew up in the seventies in West Germany and chances are they`ll know Grobschnitt & Amon Duul II even if they weren`t huge music fans. When I was in the military I frequently came across Germans who were training here in Canada and I always had to ask them if they had ever heard of Grobschnitt, Amon Duul II etc. They were always suprised that I had heard of these bands and even more suprised to find out I had all their records!

I think only one Grobschnitt album was released domestically in North America on the Canadian underground BOMB label and that was Rockpommel`s Land. I`ve got a transparent vinyl disc of Jane`s Age Of Madness on BOMB records. Some of these European bands weren`t marketed because they couldn`t appear live. Guru Guru was one of the few  "Krautrock" bands that appeared live in North America. Someone told me once that they had seen a North American pressing of Dance Of The Flames on Atlantic but I`ve yet to come across one. I think Guru Guru  did gigs in Chicago & New York City around the time Tango Fango was released. Passport Records was another Canadian label that got licensing rights for European bands such as Passport and Omega.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - January 06 2009 at 14:39
Grobsch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 13:46
"a band gets nominated as one of the bands ever  when it is marketed in the right way, when it gets popular."

So, Madonna are the BEST?? Or Michael Jackson?? Everyone here knows Grobschnitt. Their album have hundreds of reviews and you can read several ones saying the album is the best ever recorded... so you cannot compare any obscure band with Grobschnitt...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 12:31

Originally posted by Einsetumadur Einsetumadur wrote:

Why isn't Florian Silbereisen considered the best artist ever? Confused

Sorry, but those "best band ever" - polls  are completely nonsense in my opinion;  a band gets nominated as one of the bands ever  when it is marketed in the right way, when it gets popular.

Those polls only work if everyone here,  completetely _everyone_,  knows Grobschnitt's whole discography. 

Circa 30 %  of all the members here would love the Icelandic band  Thursaflokkurinn,  but no-one knows it - and even with my "advertising"  of this band  no-one  will  inform oneself about Thursaflokkurinn  because  most of the members here  have never heard about the band. 

Okay dokay matey, we're all ears - where can we hear/buy their music and do you feel remotely inclined to describe same ? or better still,

Otherwise your plea will start to resemble one of those self fulfilling propheciesWink

I didn`t hear you bang you gavel.Angry!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 12:28
I think these polls are just a vehicle to get the ball rolling on discussions. I mean it would be ludicrous for me to respond to a poll on Meshugga ( although I did stir up some s*** on a thread onceEvil Smile ). I`ve tried to enlighten people on a number of bands since I joined the site to no avail so don`t feel bad or take it personally. The most recent is Steve Smith`s Vital Information. I lobbied for a few months to get the addition and finally won my case. I did the bio, selected the photo, added all the albums and did the first review. So far no reviews forthcoming. In a nutshell Steve Smith is one of the greatest dummers alive. If you want more go to his section here on PA. I`ll definitely  check out this Icelandic Band out and get back to you. Hope it doesn`t sound anything like Bjork Shocked I might add I`ve discovered many great bands through this site that I might have otherwise overlooked.
Back on topic. As for the name of Grobschnitt being that of a novelist are you sure you`re not getting this mixed up with Novalis who took their name from Novalis which was a pen name of a German romantic novelist/philosopher from the 18th century? I`m going to try and order Grobschnitt Live2008. There`s a store here in Montreal that can get stuff like that pretty quick.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - January 06 2009 at 12:29
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 12:10
Originally posted by Einsetumadur Einsetumadur wrote:

Sorry, but those "best band ever" - polls  are completely nonsense in my opinion;  a band gets nominated as one of the bands ever  when it is marketed in the right way, when it gets popular.

Those polls only work if everyone here,  completetely _everyone_,  knows Grobschnitt's whole discography. 

Circa 30 %  of all the members here would love the Icelandic band  Thursaflokkurinn,  but no-one knows it - and even with my "advertising"  of this band  no-one  will  inform oneself about Thursaflokkurinn  because  most of the members here  have never heard about the band. 

Otherwise your plea will start to resemble one of those self fulfilling propheciesWink

Edited by ExittheLemming - January 06 2009 at 12:11
Einsetumadur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 11:51

All in all each man in all men
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 11:07
Originally posted by Vibrationbaby Vibrationbaby wrote:

From the evidence presented on "The Grobschitt Story 2" - the only album of theirs I am EVER likely to own, we have an ensemble of stoned smug hippies who combine the cartoon puerility of Zappa, the theatrical art-w**k of Guru Guru wedded to some very lame rawk toons and heavy handed attempts at "freakout subversion"

Better In Yer Face than Off Yer Face
Wow! Are you ever clued out. Evidence? As in Exhibit "A" ?  How do you percieve music? You must be in the legal profession. Nonetheless, to each his own I guess. 

Prosecution Rests Your HonourWink
Grobsch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 11:01
I have this photo and it is interesting because I think Tony was not part of Grobschnitt in the beginning.. but perhaps I'm wrong.. I know their first name was Crew in the end of the 60's...

Edited by Grobsch - January 06 2009 at 11:02
Grobsch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 10:57
I read in some place - I don't remember anymore - that Grobschnitt was the name of a novelist...
Anyone has Grobschnitt 2008?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 10:36
About the Grobshnitt of the 80s. I dunno. I had an easier time with Illegal than I did with Rockpommel`s Land. The Humour and magic was still there but in an eighties context. I listened to The Last Party Live this morning and remembered that I had reviewed it here some time ago. I couldn`t believe I gave it only three lousy stars. So I just updated it to four stars. Most of the tracks were taken from Razzia and Illegal and I`ve got Illegal spinning right now. For me there`s absolutely nothing wrong with the 80s Grobschnitt. One dissappointment  with the Last Party album wwas the virtual absence of anything before the Illegal album ( the exception being Anywhere ).
One thing I meant to say earlier, and this sort of reflects what Alucard mentioned earlier on, that they were more concerned with live shows and this is where they really shined and I agree with him on the point that so much is lost on the studio work but fortunately EROC has managed to release a lot of remastered live recordings with more to come!. If you compare their studio album output  ( 5 albums in 7 years during the seventies) to other bands from the seventies it`s rather low. Without argument their music had so much growth potential on the live stage. They never played any one song quite the same way.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - January 06 2009 at 10:36
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 10:07
Originally posted by Alucard Alucard wrote:

BTW still about the name :
Tony Moff Mollo's (houseclown of the band) grandfather played in a band  that was called Kapelle Grobschnitt, hence the name.... (they seemed to have used made up instruments maybe old cigar or tobacco boxes, which could have given the name in the first place)

Right on the money. Great photo I`m going to steal it Big smile.Tony Moff Mollo is  the guy you see flying through the air on the cover of Volle Molle.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 10:00

From the evidence presented on "The Grobschitt Story 2" - the only album of theirs I am EVER likely to own, we have an ensemble of stoned smug hippies who combine the cartoon puerility of Zappa, the theatrical art-w**k of Guru Guru wedded to some very lame rawk toons and heavy handed attempts at "freakout subversion"

Better In Yer Face than Off Yer Face
Wow! Are you ever clued out. Evidence? As in Exhibit "A" ?  How do you percieve music? You must be in the legal profession. Nonetheless, to each his own I guess. 
Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 09:20

^they do and for shure they have a "f**k this bloody war" attitude...

Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 09:07
^ They look very proggy. Proto-proto-prog, maybe?
Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 08:52

BTW still about the name :
Tony Moff Mollo's (houseclown of the band) grandfather played in a band  that was called Kapelle Grobschnitt, hence the name.... (they seemed to have used made up instruments maybe old cigar or tobacco boxes, which could have given the name in the first place)

Edited by Alucard - January 06 2009 at 08:54
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>