Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why Grobschnitt isn't consider the best band ever?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy Grobschnitt isn't consider the best band ever?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Poll Question: Which is the main reason why Grobschnitt isn't consider the best band?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [42.86%]
1 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [14.29%]
2 [28.57%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 09:30

While Grobschnitt is not the best band in the world, they are most certainly the best band among the ones that are not as good as them.

I know that I'm in a minority here, but the live and the studio Grobschnitt are two completely different beasts, and I, for one, prefer the studio band.

Apart from that, I split up the studio band into three distinct phases:

1) First and second albums (Krautrock)

2) Third and fourth albums (Symphonic)

3) Later albums: further and further towards Neue Deutsche Welle.

To put the lid on it: Of these phases I prefer the second one.

So there, now I've completely outed myself. Oh, and another thing concerning other German bands: I can lump the whole lot into two categories: The Krautrocks and the sophisticated, the latter only two bands: Frumpy and Lucifer's Friend, these, in my mind, being the two best bands Germany had to offer in the seventies.

Although I lived in Germany at the time, I considered Krautrock to be quite an embarrassment. Sorry, but there it is.

Edited by npjnpj - January 08 2009 at 09:31
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 10:00
I consider Rush and Céline Dion national embarassments. The best bands to come out of my country were from my home province of Québec. No longer going unfortunately. UZEB, Octobre, Corbeau  &  Mahogany Rush ( although Frank Marino still performs ). Best band going now has to be Spaced Out who are more popular in Japan and Europe.
Sorry, but there it is. 
Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 13:42
nice topic change: when I was a teenager I hated James Last and all these cheesy big band arrangements, but nowadays I see myself pulling out more and more these records out of the shelves,  here is my Kaffee und Kuchen playlist of Christmas 2008 :

Walter Murphy : A Fifth of Beethoven , take it away Walter....

James Last :... actually a part of the members of Lucifer's Friends played also for JL (and made more money with it I suppose) and some of the later JL records, especially the live records are  not  so bad if you like this kind of music... 

plus another Polydor LP with Russian Folk Songs.....Nastrowje Wom...

Edited by Alucard - January 08 2009 at 13:45
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

Grobsch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 06:00
I need to win the lottery to bring Grobschnitt here.;;

Smile
Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 07:25
^why don't you buy a plane ticket to Cologne and we catch you at the railway station in Hagen for the concert in two weeks, that's much cheaper Flavio!Wink
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 10:00
Originally posted by Alucard Alucard wrote:

nice topic change: when I was a teenager I hated James Last and all these cheesy big band arrangements, but nowadays I see myself pulling out more and more these records out of the shelves,  here is my Kaffee und Kuchen playlist of Christmas 2008 :

Walter Murphy : A Fifth of Beethoven , take it away Walter....

James Last :... actually a part of the members of Lucifer's Friends played also for JL (and made more money with it I suppose) and some of the later JL records, especially the live records are  not  so bad if you like this kind of music... 

plus another Polydor LP with Russian Folk Songs.....Nastrowje Wom...

Guitarist Peter Hesslein wasn`t on that James Last album was he?  28 Hits for Your Party Pinch. I feel sick.Dead
Grobsch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 12:25
"why don't you buy a plane ticket to Cologne and we catch you at the railway station in Hagen for the concert in two weeks, that's much cheaper Flavio"

I have a good and old friend in the brazilian embassy and I never had the money to go there... but one day Grobschnitt will play here...

Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 13:26
Never Say Die !
AlexUC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 22:45
What is that Grobishnikhitt? A movie? A movie can't be the best band ever... LOL
This is not my beautiful house...
Grobsch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 05:19
It's not a movie, it's the best band ever!!
Approve
Einsetumadur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 11:08
If there are questions/comments  about  Žursaflokkurinn,  let's go on <here>   that the thread doesn't go too much off topic.  Smile

I really like Grobschnitt,  and any prog/psych listener in Germany  that I know  has nearly the full discography  of the band  in the LP shelf.   They aren't  underrated  and are very frequently  rated as the best band ever  in Germany.  I don't think they are the best,  but I love listening to their music  -  especially  "Symphony"  is very great,  "Solar Music"  and "Magic Train"  dto. 

All in all each man in all men
Grobsch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2009 at 06:34
"They aren't  underrated  and are very frequently  rated as the best band ever  in Germany. "

Yes, but here all german bands are underrated if we compared them to italian, american and british bands... Most cases here in PA you find a Kraut fan who loves german bands, or a space/symphonic/psychedelic fan who underrates german bands... This is my point...
Grobschnitt, Eloy, Novalis, Wallenstein, Mythos, Anyone's Daughter, Jane, and many others can have a better rate here... 'Rockpommel's Land' is just good as Close to the Edge. 'Silent Cries And Mighty Echoes'
is just good as 'Echoes'...

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2009 at 07:12
That remains a matter of taste. I have heard only a few songs by Grobschnitt recently and that's more than enough to kindle my interest. IMHO, they may toss a coin with Eloy to decide which one is the greatest German prog band. But I think that they owe much to earlier and contemporary Krautrock and Symphonic Prog bands. Moreover, I should be careful to call any band 'the best band ever', albeit my very favourite.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2009 at 11:17
You don't have to convince me...although I'm not a big kraut rock fan per se, I find that German symphonic prog has a better signal to noise ratio than British, Italian, and French.  Both in terms of the number of groups of quality and in the quality of their material.  I've done what I can as a reviewer to promote them.  Still need to try Mythos - where should I start?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2009 at 13:09
Originally posted by Grobsch Grobsch wrote:

"They aren't  underrated  and are very frequently  rated as the best band ever  in Germany. "

Yes, but here all german bands are underrated if we compared them to italian, american and british bands... Most cases here in PA you find a Kraut fan who loves german bands, or a space/symphonic/psychedelic fan who underrates german bands... This is my point...
Grobschnitt, Eloy, Novalis, Wallenstein, Mythos, Anyone's Daughter, Jane, and many others can have a better rate here... 'Rockpommel's Land' is just good as Close to the Edge. 'Silent Cries And Mighty Echoes'

And why are they underrated?  Because they are unknown. 

German bands  have always had some problems  with their pathos...  for some, Rockpommel's Land  is probably a bit too childish  or the vocals sound to overdone and exaggerated.  Not for me,  I like this album very much  -  but this is a quite evident critic. 

"Silent Cries"  is problematic for some  because of FB's vocals  and  because of the overblown  keyboard walls -  they don't get to the point  on one album  what Pink Floyd  do  in a piece of quarter an hour.  "Silent Cries" and "Ocean"  are two  fine albums  and I like them, too,   but with those vocals and the strings synthesizers everywhere  they sound pretty much like "all show and no go"  if I remember this English saying rightly.  Wink

By the way,  Hölderlin  are also a great German band -  their pathos  fits very well,  the "Traumstadt" album  with all the wailing violins  and this colorful wishful decoration (the costumes, the F.J. Hölderlin poems  although they can't be heard on the album  etc..)    -  they were/are  really a very unique band. 

Best wishes
Max
Grobsch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2009 at 07:06
"But I think that they owe much to earlier and contemporary Krautrock and Symphonic Prog bands"

My often answer will be:
"I don't think Grobschnitt owes anyone, they were playing before most of the british bands and only release an album in 72's. Grobschnitt has songs recorded in the 60's and their sound just changed a little bit during earlies 70's years. The band spent three years to get their first album released. This is a problem to find a label."

But...
I think ALL progressive bands owe King Crimson, and only King Crimson.. Grobschnitt owes Jimi Hendrix and some psychedelic and/or hard rock bands they were playing in the school and shows during 60's. Off course 'Jumbo' and 'Rockpommel's Land' have some british symphonic inspiration... but just after RL they went back to the black side of progressive... Kraut/psychedelic/space...

Smile

Hoelderlin Live - Traumstadt is GREAT!!

Grobsch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 06:38
The third disc of The Grobschnitt Story 4 (Illegal Live) IS GREAT!!

Disc 3: 78:58
1. Ein bisschen später (Milla) (0:41)
2. Space Rider (13:27)
3. Ansage (Eroc) (2:17)
4. Solar Music Essen 1981 (38:55)
5. Travelling Away (12:30)
6. Essen tobt... (3:03)
7. Illegal Zugabe (6:02)
8. Abschied (2:03)

Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2009 at 06:42
I can't put my figer on it my Brazilian friend but I sort ot get this impression that you really like that German band. Let's keep this thread going until Grobschnitt plays RIO in 100 degree heat with all the women with their tops off.Cool

Edited by Vibrationbaby - January 18 2009 at 06:42
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2009 at 06:47
Originally posted by Einsetumadur Einsetumadur wrote:

Originally posted by Grobsch Grobsch wrote:

And why are they underrated?  Because they are unknown. 

German bands  have always had some problems  with their pathos...  for some, Rockpommel's Land  is probably a bit too childish  or the vocals sound to overdone and exaggerated.  Not for me,  I like this album very much  -  but this is a quite evident critic. 

"Silent Cries"  is problematic for some  because of FB's vocals  and  because of the overblown  keyboard walls -  they don't get to the point  on one album  what Pink Floyd  do  in a piece of quarter an hour.  "Silent Cries" and "Ocean"  are two  fine albums  and I like them, too,   but with those vocals and the strings synthesizers everywhere  they sound pretty much like "all show and no go"  if I remember this English saying rightly.  Wink

By the way,  Hölderlin  are also a great German band -  their pathos  fits very well,  the "Traumstadt" album  with all the wailing violins  and this colorful wishful decoration (the costumes, the F.J. Hölderlin poems  although they can't be heard on the album  etc..)    -  they were/are  really a very unique band. 

Best wishes
Max
My favourite Hoelderlin track is Phasing. Hey Max we have to get that Icelandic band on the archives.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2009 at 11:27
They are ... for quite a long time.  Wink
"Phasing"  is nice, of course - but  "Häktik Intergaläktik"  is better IMO ... 

back to topic: 

The albums of GROBSCHNITT  have been remastered by Eroc,  and last November  "Illegal" and "Ballermann"  were reissued -  with a great sound  and  a nice design - RPL and Jumbo  are already available  for quite a long time ... 

"Solar Music" and some others  are soon to be available - says Amazon.de 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>