Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why Grobschnitt isn't consider the best band ever?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy Grobschnitt isn't consider the best band ever?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Poll Question: Which is the main reason why Grobschnitt isn't consider the best band?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [42.86%]
1 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [14.29%]
2 [28.57%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 14:58
I am a big fan of Krautrock; it is one of my favourite genres, if not THE favourite genre. I am too young to have seen Grobschnitt live in their heyday, but from what my brother (who is ten years older than I am) tells me it must have been quite an experience. The concerts were over four hours long, and they had an incredible stage show. "Solar Music Live" captures their live quality quite well, although of course the visual aspect of their concerts gets lost on CD. Their studio albums, however, don't quite manage to capture their anarchic live presence and are generally a bit too conventional for my taste; the sticker "symphonic prog" fits them quite well, although this symphonic prog is certainly interspersed with a lot of humour. Other Krautrock bands (Can, Amon Düül 2, Guru Guru, Embryo, to name just a few of those with the most prolific output) are much more unconventional in their approach to music. The first three albums of Grobschnitt are their best because they at least show some originality, but "Rockpommel's Land" is a bit of a disappointment, in my opinion. and does not really differ much from other outputs in the symphonic genre. And their latter studio albums were even more of a disappointment.
I would have liked to see one of their four hour concerts though; they really must have been an incredible experience.

Edited by BaldFriede - January 04 2009 at 14:58

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2009 at 18:51
From the evidence presented on "The Grobschitt Story 2" - the only album of theirs I am EVER likely to own, we have an ensemble of stoned smug hippies who combine the cartoon puerility of Zappa, the theatrical art-w**k of Guru Guru wedded to some very lame rawk toons and heavy handed attempts at "freakout subversion"

Better In Yer Face than Off Yer Face
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2009 at 05:28
Grobschnitt had the bad idea to sound like genesis and Yes with Jumbo and Rockpommel and this plays heavily  against them. Otherwise the debut album is fantasdtic and Ballerman is good. Solar Misick Live is tremedous music as well.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2009 at 06:40

Another thing that goes against them is the Rockpommel's Land album artwork. a lot of people say it's a Roger Dean copycat who painted  it. As for Nektar vs Grobschnitt. Grobschnitt hands down no contest. not even going to get into that one. Best Solar Music for me is Warburg '78. It can be heard on The History of grobschnitt Vol. 1. You should check out some of the performances in '79 when it was turning into a pop Solar Music. Really. Sort of disco Solar Music.

I don't really see Hugues' point when he says they started to sound like Yes & Genesis on Jumbo & Rockpommel's land. is he on bad drugs or did he have a bad day at the office?

Grobsch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2009 at 06:48
Several people likes other bands that copies much more Genesis and Yes than Grobschnitt... Jumbo and Rockpommel's Land are great albums... Symphony and Ballermann, too... Grobschnitt could combine the better of the british with the better of the german progressive...

Rockpommel's Land and Jumbo are a little bit more symphonic than the previous ones, but you can find in these album some kraut, comic moments and space rock, too... The Rockpommel's Land song is one of the best suites ever... the guitar solo in the end is PERFECT!!!... Rockpommel's Land in one of the best symphonic record all time... much better than all other symphonic progressive that followed it... but this is my opinion...

But even though they are great albums, they aren't Solar Music Live...

One aspect I'd like to get an anwser...
Why Grobschnitt only release an album after the label Brain was created?
The labels of AD II and others Krautrock bands didn't like the work?? Grobschnitt was the first band of the Brain label I think...
Grobsch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2009 at 06:53
No, wikipedia list Grobschnitt's Symphony as the 8° release of Brain records.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_Records
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2009 at 07:02
No. The Brain label was created by two guys from Ohr records got fed up with the way it was being managed and formed Brain in early '72. Guru Guru were the first band ( who were previously on Ohr ) to be signed. Their Kanguru album was the first album to be released on Brain or it might have been Lonesome Crow by The Scorpions or Together by Jane. I've got an original fold out copy of Kanguru. Other bands such as Grobschnitt, Neu!, Birth Control and Novalis followed. Amon Duul already had a contract with Liberty Records at the time that's why they weren't on Brain.

Edited by Vibrationbaby - January 05 2009 at 07:14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2009 at 07:20
Originally posted by Grobsch Grobsch wrote:

No, wikipedia list Grobschnitt's Symphony as the 8° release of Brain records.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_Records
Now I'm going to start losing sleep. Checked out the list on Wikipedia.The catologue numbers don't neccessarily mean the sequence of release. I'm pretty sure Kanguru was the first album released. But check out the actual release dates for each album and you'll see this. I might be wrong. I have to go now but I'll try and check out some release dates when I'm back online.
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2009 at 09:55
I can't vote in this poll

But i think that they isn't consider the best band is because:

1. They are not english
2. They are better bands that them example: Guru Guru, Amon Dull II, Can and Frumpy.Wink

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2009 at 10:28
I wouldn`t say that they`re better than the bands you mentioned. Beautiful thing about these German bands was that they were all so unique. Now Frumpy. Where were the record execs heads? In their ass. Why weren`t they marketed in North America? They sounded the most North American of just about all the German bands from this era. Man, Inga Rumpf has got to be one of the greatest female rock voices. She went on to do so many other different things after Frumpy. You gotta check out her blues album Easy In My Soul from 2006.

I`m trying to find the release date of the first Grobschnitt album. As I said the first band to be signed on Brain was Guru Guru and I`m 99 % sure that Kanguru was the first album released by the fledgling Brain label. Oh yeah. My vinyl copy of the first Grobschnitt album doesn`t have the green brain label on it but rather the label is orange with KRAUTROCK written in Gothic lettering.   
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2009 at 10:44
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

I am a big fan of Krautrock; it is one of my favourite genres, if not THE favourite genre. I am too young to have seen Grobschnitt live in their heyday, but from what my brother (who is ten years older than I am) tells me it must have been quite an experience. The concerts were over four hours long, and they had an incredible stage show. "Solar Music Live" captures their live quality quite well, although of course the visual aspect of their concerts gets lost on CD. Their studio albums, however, don't quite manage to capture their anarchic live presence and are generally a bit too conventional for my taste; the sticker "symphonic prog" fits them quite well, although this symphonic prog is certainly interspersed with a lot of humour. Other Krautrock bands (Can, Amon Düül 2, Guru Guru, Embryo, to name just a few of those with the most prolific output) are much more unconventional in their approach to music. The first three albums of Grobschnitt are their best because they at least show some originality, but "Rockpommel's Land" is a bit of a disappointment, in my opinion. and does not really differ much from other outputs in the symphonic genre. And their latter studio albums were even more of a disappointment.
I would have liked to see one of their four hour concerts though; they really must have been an incredible experience.
I had the first Grobschnitt album as well as Ballerman when Rockpommel`s Land came out. and I sort of said whaaaaaat? After a while I got used to it. Anywhere has got to be their prettiest song. On the `78 tour the first part of the show was mostly Rockpommel`s Land and the particular show I saw they had a big bird flying around the stage.  Freaked me right out. I was 16 and not even supposed to be at the bloody show. What about the new Grobschnitt? I`ve only had the chance to see the poor quality videos on youtube.

It wasn`t really announced publicly even in Germany (as far as I know) , certainly not here but Volker Kahrs ( MIST ) passed away last July. I found out through a friend. Anybody here know anything?
Alucard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2009 at 11:11
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

I'll bite on this a little bit:  what sets Grobschnitt apart from the other major krautrock acts?

what sets them apart were their live shows and their spirit, as already mentionned they played sometimes four hours or more in small venues and school auditoriums, a mixture of slapstick theater  space and psychedelic music, but it was really the mix and the contact with audience that made it. I was lucky to have seen them quite often in the 70's and the athmosphere of these concerts was just great...especially at at time when a lot of German bands completely neglected their roots spoke to the audience in English like Jane or just copied anglo- saxon bands....Grobschnitt was kind of a German  Monthy Python's Flying Cirkus... 
BTW a good friend invited me to see them again in their hometown Hagen on the 24th of january and even so it's not the same band anymore I will be happy to see them once more....

24. Januar 2009

GROBSCHNITT

in der Stadthalle in 58093 Hagen.

Einlass 18:30 Uhr

Beginn: 20:00 Uhr

www.music-and-merch.de

www.eventim.de

www.stadthalle-hagen.de/termine/vvk.php

Edited by Alucard - January 05 2009 at 11:18
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

Grobsch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2009 at 12:05
I would like to listen to their last album.. Grobschnitt 2008... Mist is no more between us... he died last year... I think some sons are playing now...

About the Brain label, we need to search one by one because all the first albums are from 1972...
Grobschnitt is by far better than Guru Guru, Can and Frumpy...

I have Rockpommel's Land in long-play...

Smile
Grobsch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2009 at 12:16
BTW, Rockpommel's Land was one of the first albums I bought and Ballermann the first cdrom...
I start with Grobschnitt, Eloy, Nektar and only later I discovered the Krautrock, must of my friends do not care about kraut but love the german space bands...
Grobsch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2009 at 12:20
Some good reviews of Rockpommel's Land:

"For me this is the album of all albums.......This is certainly one of the most brilliant prog recordings ever..."
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=19523

"With whimsical story telling and a delightful floating symphonic sound Grobschnitt takes you on a prog rock fairytale!... "
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=194623

"Now i know that Grobschnitts´s : "Solar music" are supposed to be their best album!! But this..in my opinion ..is their absolute best moment..that being:"Rockpommel´s land"..."
http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=19524

Smile
Anaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2009 at 12:56
I think that their first album is a masterpiece! Well, it's my opinion of course but I think it is really fantastic!! I love Rockpommel's Land too but the first one remains my personal favourite.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2009 at 20:18
I don't have anything from after Solar Music Live, nor do I have their debut album.  I like everything I have, but I like Eloy more.  Virtually everything from 1973's Inside to 1982's TIme To Turn was excellent IMO.  That's a long run.  And I thought that even though Eloy copied a variety of groups, they sounded like Eloy more than Grobschnitt sounds like Grobschnitt.  If you take the humorous bits away they are very chameleon like, which is good in a way too.  I also find the humourous bits a bit detracting in general, although the intro to Ballerman is fun I must admit, as is the way it leads into Sahara.

So yes they are a fine group  Geek
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2009 at 21:27
BTW its pronounced Gross schnitt (in german , you cannot have 3 esses in arow , it would be silly, so the use of a weird replaces 2 of the esses) . Of course , on some German farms you can have 3 asses in a row but then you use the word Arsch .LOL
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2009 at 22:28
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

BTW its pronounced Gross schnitt (in german , you cannot have 3 esses in arow , it would be silly, so the use of a weird replaces 2 of the esses) . Of course , on some German farms you can have 3 asses in a row but then you use the word Arsch .LOL

No, you are wrong about that, it is definitely pronounced "Grobschnitt" and was always meant to be nothing else but "Grobschnitt". It is a word that is descriptive of the quality of tobacco, with "Feinschnitt" being high level quality tobacco and "Grobschnitt" low level quality. The equivalence of "Grobschnitt" in English is "severance cut" (while "Feinschnitt" is fine-cut or shag). The German word "grob" means "rough", "severe".

Edited by BaldFriede - January 05 2009 at 22:38

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2009 at 00:24
Yeah, you are right , "grob' means crude, I really thought that it was the twisted B that replaces the two esses  which is correct otherwise.  I thought I can turn it into a little comedy and it went kaput on me , oh well! Sorry, Entschuldigung!
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>