Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnitopia - More Than A Dream - Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unitopia - More Than A Dream - Review
    Posted: December 28 2008 at 09:05

Unitopia - More Than A Dream Review

My first exposure to Unitopia was about a year ago through the CPR 3 CD compilation. I listened to the MP3s on their website. Suffice it to say that MP3 will never replace CDs for this music fan. I did not hear all the power in this music until I took a chance with an even more expensive CD, their Garden double CD.

After hearing that CD set I thought this album would fall short of the high mark set by the Garden. However, I was pleasantly wrong. In fact, I don't think this band is capable of a 30 or 45 minute traditional CD. Thankfully they have too much to say and play! This one stretches beyond the hour mark.

The lyrics on this album were also carefully crafted to get the message out about what this band is all about. However, this is not spoon - feeding. This is get off the couch and do the research...find your own way. It's out there for you to find!

Common Goal - The almost IQ Outer Limits beginning makes you think you have heard this before, until they really start hammering you with those awesome drums and the hallmark lyrics. Great opener, even the horns, who puts them in prog any more...well there are more surprises to come! "Our time has come to focus on the richness of life. If we search long enough we will find what we're looking for." Message received!

Fate - "I remember travelling through a town long ago. No money, just a surfboard that I would not let go." Somehow I think Mark will not need to worry about having money for surfboards in the future! Wonderful uplifting song you will be humming even if you don't know all the words.

Justify - The epic on this album! Thankfully this band likes epics! This one is as deep as a river! From the sound effect of a tree falling after, "can't you see the forest for the trees? I forgot, we chopped them all down", to the glorious end of this song, the listener is treated to a grand epic worthy of the Garden album. So much here to enjoy. But it's the lyrics again on this album, supported by powerful music. "You come to realize there's more to life than this. A bowl of dirt revolving 'round a distant sun. It's the way we live and die in constant state of fear. All we do is cover weakness, don't shed a single tear. And every waking moment only serves to tell us why, there's no second chances here." If you think that is strong, wait until you hear the music that supports these lyrics.

Take Good Care - That fantastic orchestra that opens this song really helps bring out the immediacy and importance of the message that it heralds. Some of the reviews I have read compare this band to Alan Parsons, well maybe, from an engineering standpoint. I see more similarities with early Moody Blues, especially with the perfect use of orchestras or classical inserts. "Take good care of this world. We've been given too much to lose. Shout it from the tops of the mountains to the depths of the oceans below." Strong lyrics again supported this time by world music. No this is not traditional English prog and their interpretations will not sound the same. But that's a good thing.

Ride -That In the Air Tonight beginning is quickly replaced by the power of the drums and the lyrics. "Why do we ride ourselves to the ground?" Good question. Hopefully making all of us think more deeply.

More Than A Dream - "A journey that takes us to the ends of our lives. A race never lost, never won. More than a dream, less than a vision. Adventure again just begun." Yes, this album was the beginning of the adventure and I can't wait to hear the next installment. That piano entry and the uplifting message carry you through this adventure! Orchestra supporting and helping uplift you even higher!

Slow Down - Normally for me, the epics are my favorite. But this time this song takes the trophy for me. The powerful beginning and then the message: "Have you ever watched your child on a merry-go-round, or listened to the rain splashing to the ground? Did you ever tell your friends, "We'll do it tomorrow??" And in your haste, not see their sorrow?" We all need this song as we rise in the morning and as we retire for the night. Keeps life in good perspective. Then you get on the drum treadmill and listen as the orchestra lifts you even higher! Pink Floyd would love this interpretation of Time from Dark Side, including, this time a single clock at the end. Maybe the message will get through to all of us this time!

Lives Go `Round - "In a world gone crazy, our minds are lazy. On an earth that's turning to dust." This is a good pop song. Very upbeat and again there are those strong lyrics. Good support from additional vocalists. "We're living our lives from day to day. They say, 'He who hesitates is lost." Is it any wonder the years fly by? Do we ever stop to count the cost?" Here the violins sound like Alan Parsons, Day After Day...but only for a moment, which is so effective. Provide the memory, but make your own statement.

Still Here - "The plans we made for a future bright. Evaporate like water under the blistering sun. The pain of your memory paralyses me with fear. But I'm still here. And I'm still here, I'm still here." This one sounds like 1980s Peter Gabriel. Very powerful drums and vocals!

There's A Place - "You've got to believe in yourself. You've got to know just who you are. It's the time to follow the dream." A duet, which was written for a charity CD. It reminds me so much of the Gabriel/Bush duet Don't Give Up."

I have read comparisons of this band from Procol Harum, the Tangent to Alan Parsons. But Unitopia cannot be categorized. They provide the memory of great prog, but make their own statement, in an Australian way. That is an early hallmark for this band. Lyrics are finally just as important as the music. And both are great on this album.

Fantastic debut, but I think the best is yet to come for this band.

"I hope that all those that are dear to me, know of all that wasn't clear to me.....one day!

Unitopia
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2008 at 14:01
Cool review. I enjoyed The Garden so I might keep my eye out for this release
 Post Reply Post Reply