Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLarger avatars?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Larger avatars?
    Posted: December 30 2008 at 08:40
Could we have larger avatars on the forum?

The current limitation is 64x64 pixels for any avatar. Increasing the limitation to 120x120 pixels the total size of the hosted avatars would increase in a negligible proportion. At least according to the calculations I was doing here: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50480&PID=3090562#3090562

This is a visual representation of what I mean:

64x64 pixels:

120x120 pixels:

crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 11:50
This gets my vote for my tired eyes.

I'd like to see them just to be able to enjoy some of the album artwork that some members use.
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 11:55
It also gets my vote, but I'm sure it will make PA run slower.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 12:10
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

How much slower? A page displayed on the PA forums has 20 posts (like this page for example: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=53654&PN=113). That means a maximum 20 different posters with different avatars; considering 4 KB for each different avatar, their total weigh is now 80 KB. If avatars would be 120x120 pixels (9 KB each), the total weigh could be around 180 KB. What kind of Internet Connection would make PA run slower because of 100 KB more for a page.

(This is only an example, on the page I linked there are only 13 different avatars unlike 20 in my hypothetical example).

Thanks for the support btw Smile

Edited by Swan Song - December 30 2008 at 14:36
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 12:16
I could really dig some larger avatars.  Since MovingPictures07 and I both have new albums this month, we talked about making our avatars our albums' artwork.  I did a trial run of my album's artwork and it just didn't look very good so small.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 12:16
^I was just supposing, since there are reasons signatures can't be more than 200 words, or threads more of 200 pages, and considering all these preventions, still PA isn't working 100% perfect, so I wouldn't consider it a good call. But this is coming from a guy that doesn't know about internet pages, memory, etc, just using the facts.

...No problem!Smile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 12:18
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I could really dig some larger avatars.  Since MovingPictures07 and I both have new albums this month, we talked about making our avatars our albums' artwork.  I did a trial run of my album's artwork and it just didn't look very good so small.

Nobody wants to see your album's artwork, don't worryTongueWink ...Seriously, you didn't tell me!Shocked
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 13:05
Large pictures. Very annoying. Sigs are bad enough already. Personally, I think that, in the department of avatars, less is more.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 13:09
I'm fine either way, the proposed size wouldn't bother me, but I'm also cool with the status quo.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 14:40
Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

Large pictures. Very annoying. Sigs are bad enough already. Personally, I think that, in the department of avatars, less is more.

How large is 120x120 px? Or how annoying? An avatar this size can even fit the "Author" column as it is right now without stretching it at all.

Edited by Swan Song - December 30 2008 at 14:40
Abstrakt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 15:30
They could be bigger, but 100x100 would be better.
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 16:03
yay from me.... cant imagine how limiting 64x64, especially making animated avatars is like jewelry work
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 16:16

Nobody wants to see your album's artwork, don't worryTongueWink ...Seriously, you didn't tell me!Shocked

My album's artwork is a large photo of Alan White.  The title of the album is "Cacho Sucks!" 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 16:34

My album's artwork is a large photo of Alan White.  The title of the album is "Cacho Sucks!" 

LOL I hope it's Alan from Relayer, and not from Tales!!Wink ....At least I'll gain some popularity with the titleApprove
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 16:42
Not long ago we got rid of of annoying big signatures Clap

I think the current size of avatars is enough. There are still lots of places "to enjoy albums' artwork". Wink
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 16:52
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

Not long ago we got rid of of annoying big signatures Clap

I think the current size of avatars is enough. There are still lots of places "to enjoy albums' artwork". Wink

Point taken.  I'm not so certain I would want to see your avatar any larger.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 16:55
Either way is fine by me, even though I can't imagine a large wombat avatar being any cuter than a little wombat avatar.
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 17:11
Originally posted by Swan Song Swan Song wrote:

How large is 120x120 px? Or how annoying? An avatar this size can even fit the "Author" column as it is right now without stretching it at all.

About four times the size of the current avatars, and they annoy me plenty already LOL But don't mind me, I'm unreasonably grouchy. My thoughts are that increasing the avatar size to 120 x 120 probably won't fix the album artwork 'issue', and that it'll take it out of line with all the nice stars, titles, average name lengths, and so on.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 17:28

About four times the size of the current avatars, and they annoy me plenty already LOL - No, it's only twice the size. You can see the 64x64 vs. 120x120 avatars in my initial post.

But don't mind me, I'm unreasonably grouchy. My thoughts are that increasing the avatar size to 120 x 120 probably won't fix the album artwork 'issue', - there is a certain, visible improvement; the comparison I made in the initial post is quite eloquent

and that it'll take it out of line with all the nice stars, titles, average name lengths, and so on. - there is enough unused space bellow the Location/Status/Post Number are to make the improvement have no bad effects over the page layout Smile
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2008 at 17:29

How much slower? A page displayed on the PA forums has 20 posts (like this page for example: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=53654&PN=113). That means a maximum 20 different posters with different avatars; considering 4 KB for each different avatar, their total weigh is now 80 KB. If avatars would be 120x120 pixels (9 KB each), the total weigh could be around 180 KB. What kind of Internet Connection would make PA run slower because of 100 KB more for a page.

(This is only an example, on the page I linked there are only 13 different avatars unlike 20 in my hypothetical example).

Thanks for the support btw Smile

The kind that is connected on the server side, which has to deal with many, many requests. Keep in mind that it is not only running the forums, but also the reviews database and all access to both. As someone wrote already, that is exactly the reason that M@X has limited signature sizes and recently also closed a whole load of old threads.

And more on topic: I'm probably not the only one here who isn't coming to the forum to study avatars. They're used mostly to help people recognise quickly who submitted a certain post mainly, and that happens in the blink of an eye.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>