Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFrench Symphonic Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: French Symphonic Prog
    Posted: January 01 2009 at 12:40
I don't know too much about French Symphonic Prog but lately i've been very interested in exploring this scene. For the longest time the only band i knew of was Ange, and i quite enjoy their agressive, almost over-the-top theatrical take on Symphonic Prog.

Being a strange dude, I've also always liked music with lyrics in foreign languages that i can't understand. It adds a strange mystical slant to the music that makes it feel like i'm hearing something from another world... another dimension. Or i like to pretend that's the case. Tongue
This is the case with the Italian Prog scene... and it seems to be the same with French bands for me.

From what little i've heard, band like Carpe Diem and Atoll are quite amazing... and Mona Lisa are interesting as well. I'm currently trying to explore the scene further; it seems there are many hidden gems from that country that deserve more attention.

Do you all have any personal favorites? I'm interested to see other people's general feelings on that scene. Does anyone believe it deserves to be it's own genre (as Italian Symph. Prog has become)? Tongue
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity...
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2009 at 13:08
One little known French band that I enjoy is Pentacle.  And for something more modern, try Lazuli latest CD. 
Eclat is a good fusion symph blend, speaking also of their latest. 

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2009 at 13:11
Nobody can deny that French Theatric Symphonic is an interesting part of Symphonic, but the language is so hard to relate with Prog, that it's an acquired taste.

For me Ange, Atoll and Mona Lisa are the peak.

Saw Ange and Mona Lisa in Paris some years ago in two different ocasions and the shows  are out of this world.

Iván

PS: No Adam, despite how unique they are, we are talking about Symphonic, I don't believe in any national or regional based sub-genres, if not, we would have as many genres as nations are, and that would be crazy IMHO..

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - January 01 2009 at 13:21

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2009 at 13:51
I like Carpe Diem and Mona Lisa considerably.  I'd recommend SHYLOCK, ARACHNOID, and MEMORIANCE.

Not in Symphonic Prog, but a theatrical French project I enjoyed very much is DUFFARD, PASCAL's Dieu est Fou.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Grobsch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2009 at 14:11
"I'd recommend SHYLOCK, ARACHNOID, and MEMORIANCE."
I second...

"
Does anyone believe it deserves to be it's own genre (as Italian Symph. Prog has become)?"
I think only italian bands deserves a different style because the symphonic there is huge different... I like to say italian bands do a baroque progressive

Pulsar and Aisa Minor -a french-turkish band - are also very good...

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2009 at 16:11
By the way, funny to see that France didn't create a lot of symphonic groups. 
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2009 at 17:48
Tai Phong is my first French Symphonic.
The sound is very clear and beautiful, and I suggest it's easy to understand.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2009 at 19:49
Clearlight, Maldoror ... never mind the classification, Dun and Eskaton, also Minimum Vital ... and despite their Neo tag, Saens .

Edited by debrewguy - January 01 2009 at 19:55
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 06:59
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Nobody can deny that French Theatric Symphonic is an interesting part of Symphonic, but the language is so hard to relate with Prog, that it's an acquired taste.

? That is really just your own problem. Not the French language.

Artcane isn't mentioned by anyone yet. Catharsis and Wapassou are great too.
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Steve-A View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 14:16
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

something more modern, try Lazuli latest CD.  

Lazuli are amazing - especially the sounds Claude makes with his Léode!

Edited by Steve-A - January 02 2009 at 14:17
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 14:25
There are fabulous bands and albums from France. Not sure if PA should give it a separate genre (probably not), but what I do at home is to actually seperate both albums from Italy and France from the rest of the bunch (but the styles and genres are mixed somewhat).
Some fabulous bands are the old timers Ange, Atoll, Carpe Diem, Memoriance, Laurent Thibault, Arachnoid, Clearlight, Eden, Pentacle, Pulsar, Mona Lisa, Alain Markusfeld, Sandrose, Clivage, Catharsis, Ame Son, Traveling, Alpha Centaury, Terpandre, Elohim, Ripaiile, Metabolisme, Skryvania, Shylock, Troide, Troisieme Rive etc.

And the more recent bands such as the magnificent Maldoror (brilliant album, even more so if you speak French), Nemo, Thork, the amazing Nil and their "relatives" Syrinx (two absolutely gorgoues bands!!!), Taal, Setna, Sensitive to Light and Saens, 4/3 de Trio, Negative Zone and more...  (not listen in PA)

In this current scene so far Maldoror's album L'arbre Cimetiere is one of my wife's and my all-time favourites.
A must album!!! 
I also absolutely love the albums from the Nil/Syrinx/Thork camp, especially the first two bands.

There are also the more experimental yet also very theatrical bands such as Komintern, Emanuel Booz, Moving Gelatine Plates, Jean Paul Prat, Chene Noir, Pacal Duffard et al. And of course the Zeuhl school is quite theatrical as well (at least the vocals fronted zeuhl bands, though not exclusively).

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 15:13

Nobody can deny that French Theatric Symphonic is an interesting part of Symphonic, but the language is so hard to relate with Prog, that it's an acquired taste....

Sorry for snipping your post.  Why do you find it hard to relate the language with Prog?  I don't really think in those terms, but if anything the French language would give the rock more art cache to my ears (partially because I associate, to an extent, art rock with art house cinema, and was very big on French films).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2009 at 15:31
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Nobody can deny that French Theatric Symphonic is an interesting part of Symphonic, but the language is so hard to relate with Prog, that it's an acquired taste....

Sorry for snipping your post.  Why do you find it hard to relate the language with Prog?  I don't really think in those terms, but if anything the French language would give the rock more art cache to my ears (partially because I associate, to an extent, art rock with art house cinema, and was very big on French films).

I don't know there are a couple of languages that give me troubles to identify with Prog.

One of them is French sounds too guttural for me, maybe I'm too used to listen Edith Piaff, Charles Aznavour or Maurice Chevallier in this language and for that reason anybody who doesn't sound as them seems weird.

The other two languages are Spanish (I listen so much crap in my native language, that ruins my perception of Prog) and the last one of course is Japanese.

Believe me, I'm a fan of Abbhama an Indonesian band, but their language sounds perfect to my ears despite I'm lost with the words, and of course I don't get a word of Swedish but Hybris is wonderful

But as I said, it's an acquired taste, now I'm a fan of French Symphonic.

Iván

Post Reply Post Reply