Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAs far as pop/rock goes, the 80s or 90s?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: which decade was better as far as pop/rock is concerned?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [67.74%]
10 [32.26%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: As far as pop/rock goes, the 80s or 90s?
    Posted: January 07 2009 at 17:25
Though born in the 80s, I was a 90s child. Even so, I can't help but think that for me, the 80s would have been a better decade. Even the really, really blatant pop like hair metal, new wave, and Michael Jackson had an atmosphere I naturally like. You can never have too many fog machines and lazer light shows. Though I would be without one of my favorite non-prog bands, The Smashing Pumpkins, I could still go to hear them in Chicago before they got signed. Big smile

I think we'd all agree the 80s were not very good for prog, but at least there was post-punk, new wave, goth, heavy/hair metal, Def Leppard etc stadium rock, and alternative rock in its beginnings to balance it out.

And you?

(Not to mention Kate BushHeart)

Edited by stonebeard - January 07 2009 at 17:26
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 17:27
Same and same! 80s! The hair rock was bad, but at least it was tacky-good! I can't stand 90s pop, although 80s pop was terrible too

Whatever, 80s for the neon
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 17:35
The Smiths, Echo & The Bunnymen, The Birthday Party, Bauhaus... and Kate Bush, obviously. I can't think of anything equally interesting from the 90's.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 17:48
There was a lot of good stuff around in the Eighties - perhaps not prog, but good stuff nevertheless. And we're listening to Kate Bush nowClap!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 17:56
interesting time the 80s, a wave of hideousness but with great little things like British metal, U2, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and the Yes and Crimson rebirths

Edited by Atavachron - January 07 2009 at 17:57
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 17:56

The pop music in the 90's was pretty much better than the pop music at any other time, that is if you kick out the boy bands. Can't think of any examples to back up my support, but I grew up at that time, so that might have something to do with it.

AlbertMond View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 21:49
'80s. The '80s were a bad '70s ripoff. The '90s were a worse '70s ripoff. The 2000s are a disgusting '80s ripoff.
Promotion so blatant that it's sad:
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2009 at 22:26
Damn I hastily voted for the 80s because of all the greats, but I think both decades are equal.   Although the pop songs of the 80s were far better.  I think a lot of the mainstream 90s music is incredibly dated.  However both decades had great artists.  I guess so far my argument is towards the 80s, but I really do like both decades' music. 

The Smiths, Echo and the Bunnymen, Cocteau Twins, Prince, Duran Duran, R.E.M, The Replacements etc etc

Pearl Jam, Supergrass, Pavement, Tortoise, Built to Spill, Elliott Smith, Bjork, Tori Amos, Wu-Tang Clan, D'Angelo
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 06:13
Originally posted by AlbertMond AlbertMond wrote:

'80s. The '80s were a bad '70s ripoff. The '90s were a worse '70s ripoff. The 2000s are a disgusting '80s ripoff.

LOL

As for me... I occasionally dabble in 1980s post-punk, and most of the 1990s rock I listen to isn't really poppy. Well, Type O Negative are on occasion but they always do it in a way that mocks the entire concept with their more honest and serious stuff being rather inaccessible. So I'll vote for the eighties.

"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 06:37
90s. Mostly because of a lot of non-mainstream stuff. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 12:40
Originally posted by BroSpence BroSpence wrote:

Damn I hastily voted for the 80s because of all the greats, but I think both decades are equal.   Although the pop songs of the 80s were far better.  I think a lot of the mainstream 90s music is incredibly dated.  However both decades had great artists.  I guess so far my argument is towards the 80s, but I really do like both decades' music. 

The Smiths, Echo and the Bunnymen, Cocteau Twins, Prince, Duran Duran, R.E.M, The Replacements etc etc

Pearl Jam, Supergrass, Pavement, Tortoise, Built to Spill, Elliott Smith, Bjork, Tori Amos, Wu-Tang Clan, D'Angelo
My initial reaction was to click the 80s without a second thought, then I read your response and thought for a bit, then clicked the 80s with a second thought, I think.

Probably 1988.
What?
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 12:49
I still enjoy a lot of the 90s music which I grew with, while I find most of the 80s music horrible.

My choices are:

ROCK - The Verve, Radiohead, Oasis, Blur, U2, Pulp, Supergrass, Suede, Kula Shaker, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Jane's Addiction, Soundgraden, Rage Against The Machine, Manic Street Preachers, Nine Inch Nails, Smashing Pumpkins, The Cranberries, Stereophonics, Placebo, Travis. Excellent new albums for Robert Plant, Page & Plant, Rolling Stones, Santana

POP - Depeche Mode, R.E.M., The Cardigans (fantastic pop band!), Tori Amos, Alanis Morisette, Garbage, Dave Matthews Band, Sherryl Crow, Fionna Apple (!!!), Matchbox 20, Marcy Playground, Robbie Williams, even Madonna.

ELECTRO-POP/ROCK & RELATED: Massive Attack, Bjork, Jay-Jay Johansson, Moby, AIR, Apollo 440, etc.
Kestrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 15:25
I love 80s pop (Genesis, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, etc.) so I'll definitely go with the 80s.
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 15:37
Between Trip Hop, IDM, and most importantly, indie, it's got to be the 90s for me.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 15:40
Originally posted by moreitsythanyou moreitsythanyou wrote:

Between Trip Hop, IDM, and most importantly, indie, it's got to be the 90s for me.

Indie? As in independent labels didn't exist in the 1980s? Confused
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 19:07
I'm not really into pop really, but both decades produced some cool rock (rock not including metal though)
The 90s gets my vote though.
I really dig a lot of the post hardcore stuff that was out in the 90s and hell, I even thought some of the early 90s grunge scene stuff was good, like Pearl Jam's Ten and Alice In Chain's stuff.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 19:38
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Indie? As in independent labels didn't exist in the 1980s? Confused
Indie as a genre didn't really exist in the '80s, no.

'90s has some tolerable popular rock, and, more importantly, the song What is Love. The '80s has some tolerable songs as well, but most of them are layered in terrible synth sounds and electro drums, and they do not have the song What is Love.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 19:45

The 80's had a lot of great stuff, pop and otherwise.  90's not so much.

Great 80's bands:

Dire Straits
Devo
Human League
Marshall Crenshaw
Wall of Voodoo
XTC

just to name a few.

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 23:10
80s.

Easily my favorite pop decade.

90s really took a tumble imo, but there are still a few interesting bits in there.

*blasts I Ran (so far Away)*Cool
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2009 at 23:37
Originally posted by Swan Song Swan Song wrote:

I still enjoy a lot of the 90s music which I grew with, while I find most of the 80s music horrible.

My choices are:

ROCK - The Verve, Radiohead, Oasis, Blur, U2, Pulp, Supergrass, Suede, Kula Shaker, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Jane's Addiction, Soundgraden, Rage Against The Machine, Manic Street Preachers, Nine Inch Nails, Smashing Pumpkins, The Cranberries, Stereophonics, Placebo, Travis. Excellent new albums for Robert Plant, Page & Plant, Rolling Stones, Santana

POP - Depeche Mode, R.E.M., The Cardigans (fantastic pop band!), Tori Amos, Alanis Morisette, Garbage, Dave Matthews Band, Sherryl Crow, Fionna Apple (!!!), Matchbox 20, Marcy Playground, Robbie Williams, even Madonna.

ELECTRO-POP/ROCK & RELATED: Massive Attack, Bjork, Jay-Jay Johansson, Moby, AIR, Apollo 440, etc.

Depeche Mode, Madonna, R.E.M., U2, Nirvana, RHCP, Jane's Addiction, Soundgarden, NIN, Bjork were all around in the 80s.  So was Smashing Pumpkins but I don't include them on the basis that they didn't actually release an album then, unlike the others.

Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Indie? As in independent labels didn't exist in the 1980s? Confused
Indie as a genre didn't really exist in the '80s, no.

'90s has some tolerable popular rock, and, more importantly, the song What is Love. The '80s has some tolerable songs as well, but most of them are layered in terrible synth sounds and electro drums, and they do not have the song What is Love.

I guess Dischord, IRS, Touch & Go, Sub Pop and the numerous other independent labels that released albums by independent bands (even before the 1980s) don't count as indie?  

Then again indie today is based on pretty much anything that sounds "hip" and the whole independent status which is what "indie" STANDS FOR means nothing. 

Edited by BroSpence - January 08 2009 at 23:40
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>