Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAs far as pop/rock goes, the 80s or 90s?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: which decade was better as far as pop/rock is concerned?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [67.74%]
10 [32.26%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: As far as pop/rock goes, the 80s or 90s?
    Posted: January 11 2009 at 12:27
... and those who:

1) have internet connections

2) took time to participate on the site

at that.

I think it would be more useful to look at billboard archives and stuff like that to get a really good snapshot of music was "in" back then. The people doing the voting on RateYourMusic are voting from the historical hindsight of what should have been popular.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
AlbertMond View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 22:36
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

*looks at list*

Sonic Youth above Prince? King Diamond above Pet Shop Boys?

Something tells me this chart does not reflect what was popular in real life... Wink
It's "Rate Your Music". The "charts" here are based on modern user rating averages.
Promotion so blatant that it's sad:
AlbertMond View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 22:34
Originally posted by BroSpence BroSpence wrote:

Depeche Mode, Madonna, R.E.M., U2, Nirvana, RHCP, Jane's Addiction, Soundgarden, NIN, Bjork were all around in the 80s.  So was Smashing Pumpkins but I don't include them on the basis that they didn't actually release an album then, unlike the others. 
I couldn't agree much more. I always thought U2, R.E.M, Depeche Mode, and Madonna were most well known for their '80s work. That said, I don't think of them as '90s groups.
Promotion so blatant that it's sad:
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 22:16
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

Someone once told me it has been scientifically proven that 1987 was the worst year in popular music history and I can well believe it.

http://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/1987

9. Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction
12. U2 - The Joshua Tree
17. Depeche Mode - Music for the Masses
29. REM - Document
49. Midnight Oil -Diesel and Dust
75. Joe Satriani - Surfin' with the Alien
88. INXS - Kick
96. Whitesnake - s/t

Defnitely not the worst year ever.

*looks at list*

Something tells me this chart does not reflect what was popular in real life... Wink

Hmm....A user-based site on the internet......

You're right. Shocked
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 21:12

Someone once told me it has been scientifically proven that 1987 was the worst year in popular music history and I can well believe it.

12. U2 - The Joshua Tree
29. REM - Document
88. INXS - Kick
96. Whitesnake - s/t

Whitesnake and INXS an indication of quality?LOL Well none of the albums you mention would get anywhere near my top 100 so we'll have to agree to disagree.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 15:24

12. U2 - The Joshua Tree
29. REM - Document
88. INXS - Kick
96. Whitesnake - s/t

*looks at list*

"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 14:04

12. U2 - The Joshua Tree
29. REM - Document
88. INXS - Kick
96. Whitesnake - s/t

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 13:53
Both of the periods could give me the will to die if I ever had to be tortured by the mandatory watching of VH1 day and night.
Frankly, each decade has its goods and bads and I can't tell which one had the Greater Evil in it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2009 at 04:52
Anyway, people, keep in mind that this is a thread about the pop/rock of the eighties and nineties. The weirder stuff that doesn't even aspire to mainstream success even though some of it might become too popular to really be "underground" isn't really relevant here if I have understood the OP properly, even though I happen to think that when you look at the more under-the-radar culture of the early 1990s (not just music but also things like literature, movies etc.) even the stuff that crossed over into the mainstream, I see a lot of truly interesting stuff full of promises for the future of the arts that somehow - I don't know how to be honest - almost was squandered completely or just for the most part stopped going anywhere during the late nineties. In hindsight I really think the nineties were culturally as much a decade of starting off with a bang and going out with a whimper as... I can't really think of a parallel really, the 1970s maybe?

Or maybe that's just nostalgia talking... LOL

Crap, I really should get back on topic. Most of the good rock of the 1990s wasn't really pop-rock, and for that the eighties were better because of post-punk.
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 23:53
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

I guess Dischord, IRS, Touch & Go, Sub Pop and the numerous other independent labels that released albums by independent bands (even before the 1980s) don't count as indie?  

Then again indie today is based on pretty much anything that sounds "hip" and the whole independent status which is what "indie" STANDS FOR means nothing. 
Being an on independent label doesn't count as indie. I was talking about it as a genre term, which I know is nebulous and pretty much useless, but it's there and it's what he was talking about. You wouldn't call Tzadik releases "indie", yet it is an independent label.

"Indie rock is a genre of Alternative rock that most notably exists in the independent underground music scene. It primarily refers to rock musicians that are or were unsigned, or have signed toindependent record labels, rather than major record labels. Genres or subgenres often associated with indie rock include lo-fipost-rocksadcoreC86, and math rock, to list but a few; other related (and sometimes overlapping) categories include shoegazing and indie pop. Indie rock artists place a premium on maintaining complete control of their music and careers, releasing albums on independent record labels (sometimes their own) and relying on touring, word-of-mouth, and airplay on independent or college radio stations for promotion. Some end up moving to major labels, often on favorable terms won by their prior independent success."

"Indie rock takes its name from "independent," which describes both the do-it-yourself attitudes of its bands and the small, lower-budget nature of the labels that release the music. The biggest indie labels might strike distribution deals with major corporate labels, but their decision-making processes remain autonomous. As such, indie rock is free to explore sounds, emotions, and lyrical subjects that don't appeal to large, mainstream audiences -- profit isn't as much of a concern as personal taste (though the labels do, after all, want to stay in business)." 

I wouldn't call a Tzadik label release "Indie rock", but it sure is indie. 
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 20:03
I voted 80s since there are more bands I like from that era - Tears for Fears, Soft Cell, Ultravox, Propoganda, and there was some nice 60s retro-flavoured stuff like Matt Bianco and Swing Out Sister. Bit of a prog desert though. I never got into Marillion and had to get my good musicianship fix from Asia and Toto. There was some truly dire music in the 80s though. Someone once told me it has been scientifically proven that 1987 was the worst year in popular music history and I can well believe it. The ghastly Stock, Aitken and Waterman were everywhere and you couldn't escape their tinny, synthesised atrocities. A foul pestilence on the face of music.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 18:16

Originally posted by Swan Song Swan Song wrote:

I still enjoy a lot of the 90s music which I grew with, while I find most of the 80s music horrible.

My choices are:

ROCK - The Verve, Radiohead, Oasis, Blur, U2, Pulp, Supergrass, Suede, Kula Shaker, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Jane's Addiction, Soundgraden, Rage Against The Machine, Manic Street Preachers, Nine Inch Nails, Smashing Pumpkins, The Cranberries, Stereophonics, Placebo, Travis. Excellent new albums for Robert Plant, Page & Plant, Rolling Stones, Santana

POP - Depeche Mode, R.E.M., The Cardigans (fantastic pop band!), Tori Amos, Alanis Morisette, Garbage, Dave Matthews Band, Sherryl Crow, Fionna Apple (!!!), Matchbox 20, Marcy Playground, Robbie Williams, even Madonna.

ELECTRO-POP/ROCK & RELATED: Massive Attack, Bjork, Jay-Jay Johansson, Moby, AIR, Apollo 440, etc.

Depeche Mode, Madonna, R.E.M., U2, Nirvana, RHCP, Jane's Addiction, Soundgarden, NIN, Bjork were all around in the 80s.  So was Smashing Pumpkins but I don't include them on the basis that they didn't actually release an album then, unlike the others.

Well I was of course only referring to the albums these bands produced during the 90s.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 17:48
1990s gave us Alice in Chains.  I'm good with that.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 16:59

I guess Dischord, IRS, Touch & Go, Sub Pop and the numerous other independent labels that released albums by independent bands (even before the 1980s) don't count as indie?  

Then again indie today is based on pretty much anything that sounds "hip" and the whole independent status which is what "indie" STANDS FOR means nothing. 
Being an on independent label doesn't count as indie. I was talking about it as a genre term, which I know is nebulous and pretty much useless, but it's there and it's what he was talking about. You wouldn't call Tzadik releases "indie", yet it is an independent label.

Yeah, most metal/punk/goth/industrial/noise bands are on independent labels but don't get classified as "indie". It seems to have come to mean "obscure rock music that can't be pigeonholed into any existing niche/doesn't have an associated sub-culture", sorta like a dumping ground really.
June View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 15:08
80s pop. Mostly cuz I was a kid and I had much older siblings listening to Duran Duran, so I think of the whole decade quite fondly.

If we go outside of the realm of pop, also 80s, if only post punk and psychobilly.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 14:39
I am against the term as a genre rather than a status, but Neutral Milk Hotel and The Arcade Fire can clearly be defined as part of the same musical movement, so we might as well use what we have. Like prog, we're stuck with what we got. ;-)
if you own a sodastream i hate you
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 13:56

H.P. is right. Indie is more of a musical style than a label classification. Its roots are in the 80s but didn't really start to take form until the 90s.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 13:50
no contest, the 80s had:
The Safety Dance
Down Under
and Rick Astley
LOL
not to mention, 99 Luftballoons

Edited by manofmystery - January 09 2009 at 13:51

Time always wins.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 12:22

Edited by Henry Plainview - January 09 2009 at 12:28
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2009 at 02:30
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

*blasts I Ran (so far Away)*Cool
and the other favourite of George W.

I Rack (so near to I Ran)
What?