0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 07:35
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Without a doubt it´s Eric Roth´s cliches, which he already used in Forrest Gump, the down part of the movie. The humminbird, the easy tear-jerking scenes... luckily mr Fincher knew how to turn some of those things down a bit. In fact I find it funny how somebody like Roth (who is way too emotional and sentimental) worked with Fincher (who is seen as a cold, purely technical director) but if this movie had been made by, lets say Zemekis or Spielberg, then it would have suffered a LOT...

I agree wholeheartedly (though I wish people would stop giving Spielberg crap for making happy movies). As a matter of fact I really liked Ben Button and I think FIncher crafted a moving visual elegy to Fitzgerald's Jazz Age, and there are some particularly moving scenes here and there. But those damn hospital scenes. God, that's a half hour of my life I'll never get back. Redundant, useless, and often insulting (Katrina? Really?), it just killed the momentum for me, especially on a second vewing. I was willing to overlook it when I frist saw it, but when I went again to get a definitive opinion on the film those scenes took so much away..
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 15:32
Originally posted by 1800iareyay 1800iareyay wrote:

Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Without a doubt it´s Eric Roth´s cliches, which he already used in Forrest Gump, the down part of the movie. The humminbird, the easy tear-jerking scenes... luckily mr Fincher knew how to turn some of those things down a bit. In fact I find it funny how somebody like Roth (who is way too emotional and sentimental) worked with Fincher (who is seen as a cold, purely technical director) but if this movie had been made by, lets say Zemekis or Spielberg, then it would have suffered a LOT...

I agree wholeheartedly (though I wish people would stop giving Spielberg crap for making happy movies). As a matter of fact I really liked Ben Button and I think FIncher crafted a moving visual elegy to Fitzgerald's Jazz Age, and there are some particularly moving scenes here and there. But those damn hospital scenes. God, that's a half hour of my life I'll never get back. Redundant, useless, and often insulting (Katrina? Really?), it just killed the momentum for me, especially on a second vewing. I was willing to overlook it when I frist saw it, but when I went again to get a definitive opinion on the film those scenes took so much away..

Agreed, also about Spielberg. I do like him, I just think he would have taken the movie to another ground which (in my opinion at least) would have been a bit too much. And yes, the hospital scences, although I didn´t hate them... somehow I think something better could have been possible, but ok, whatever...

my Fincher top right now is...

1. Fight club
  2. The curious case of Benjamin Button
  3. Se7en
  4. Zodiac
  5. The game
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12