Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReal name, user name, or some nickname?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Poll Question: Which do you prefer to be called?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [10.77%]
30 [46.15%]
7 [10.77%]
1 [1.54%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.54%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.08%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.08%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [10.77%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.54%]
1 [1.54%]
2 [3.08%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.08%]
1 [1.54%]
1 [1.54%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
easytargets View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2009 at 13:57
Well, girls and boys, I have not enough reliability to name every one of you
by your own name.I`ve been here only since last November so I don´t feel
as I can talk to some of you by your real names.
For me, most of my lols call me Caban , as my first surname is Cabanzón
,but it´s quite remembering of a spanish film character: Dr. Cavan.
I just prefer Nando,´cause my first name is Fernando and most people call me like
that.
The water rushes over all
cities crash in the mighty wave;
the final man is very small,
plunging in for his final bathe
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2009 at 13:39
I'll go by Folly, Pnoom!, or Aaron, don't really care which.

Voted don't care.
John McIntyre View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2009 at 13:34
Although my handle on this site is John McIntyre, my use of it stems from some illicit sexual activity I participated in when I was 13. I had to travel to and from school by train in West Cumbria, England, past the Sellafield Atomic plant. The school taught me and the rest of the class the "Facts of Life"! On the way back home, a few of us wanted to try it out. I finished up in a toilet on the train with a girl doing a bit of 'exploration', but (fortunately) there wasn't enough room to perform properly. Many years later, I read the original M*A*S*H book, where I learned how Trapper John got his name. He was 'well away' with his date in a train toilet and was caught "in the act" by the train conductor. She renaged on the arrangement by yelling "He trapped me, he trapped me!" Trapper John's full name was John Francis Xavier McIntyre.
I also had the nick-name Taff, as my ancestry is predominantly Welsh.
I am one of only about 1,800 people in the world with an original M400 Mellotron!
Trial and Error View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2009 at 02:43
Cat's name. Call me Mignon. Tongue

First name would work too. Tae just sounds like a misspelling of tea.
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2009 at 16:05
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

^ How about "Kibble"? Wink

Oh Vompatti... You just... had to bring that back up didn't you

Yes, I would respond to that name also
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 10:42
By my Name or Zafreth, my alter egoEvil Smile

T.Rox View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 02:43
Chris ... Coops ... T.Rox ... Dinosaur ... I will generally respond to any of them.

Coops is in my profile, and that is a nickname in itself ... and the guys at work call me DJ Coops, which has stuck from my days on Community Radio.
"Without prog, life would be a mistake."

...with apologies to Friedrich Nietzsche
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 01:28
yeah....gotta change mine, way too formal and as Peter says, too " Google" friendly having a full name.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 01:23
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

ErmmHmmmm...

Bomb Japan?
Bolivian Jurist?
Born Jewish?
Bug Juice?
Blue Jewels?
Bring Juanita?
Bite Juan?
Biscuit Jelly?
Burmese Jungle?
Bongo Judo?
Burgundy Jam?
Blame Jesus?
Burning Joint?
Bang Jimenez?
Bonk Janice?
Bleating Jackass?
Busking Jazzmen?
Brawny Joe?
Broken Jaw?
Balmy Jupiter?
Boring Job?
Blown Jape?
Bikini Jane?
Beginner's Jitters?
Bimini Jade?
Black Jaguar?
Bloody Journey?
Belly Jeopardy?
Beautiful Jasper?
Basking Jailer?
Boyfriend Jilter?
Big Judy?
 Wacko

Confused I dunno -- it's on the tip of my tongue, as it were....or not! Wink

You forgot BeetleJuice ;)
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 01:10
I use my nick on many forums and in other places, for example for playing Bridge at BBO (Bridgebase online). "Jean" (with American pronunciation, like "Gene") is simply short for "Jeanine" (with French pronunciation) and is used by people who like me. when being a kid I was only ever called "Jeanine" when I had done something wrong. "Jeanine, who has broken the Ming vase"?
"Bald" of course stands for my hairstyle, which was chosen for personal reasons

Edited by BaldJean - March 15 2009 at 18:55

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2009 at 00:44
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

My real name is Peter, and you can all call me that, just as people do in real life (though often at work I get "Sir,' which I don't mind as a traditional sign of respect for my position).

I have never used a nickname here. Way back when I joined, I decided to be "real," to mean what I say, and to attach my actual name to all of my posts, to show that I took responsibility for my words, and was not hiding behind some nickname or assumed "web persona." I am an actual person, not a "role" or "construct." (I also wanted my reviews to have my real name attached to them, as they are my original work.)

I had no previous experience with forums (this is still the only one I belong to), so perhaps naively I started out with my full name here (as Jim Garten still does). After a couple of years or so, though, and some particularly acrimonious exchanges with others, I decided to remove my last name, in the interest of my own privacy and security, and that of my family -- you never really know just how unbalanced an angry (or possibly lovestruck?LOL) stranger on the web might be. I also did not want just anyone to be able to Google my name, and link to all of my posts here (some of which might not be the sort of thing I'd want a boss or student to be able to read and instantly associate with me, for example).

Thus today, I just go by my first name here. Much like getting a tattoo, a nickname would frankly feel silly to me, and "limiting."

Ermm I have also often wondered why so many use nicknames, only to then get called by their (publicly listed) real first name anyway, by all who come to "know" them. I just can't keep track of all of those real names, if it's the nickname which I see on the posts on a routine basis. ("Logan" is Greg, "Dude" is Geoff, "Maani" is Ian, "Vibrationbaby" is Ian, "Easy Livin" is Bob, etc, etc, etc.) Why have a nick, if people generally and freely just call you by your actual name anyway, and you even encourage that by disclosing it in PMs, etc? I don't get it. Confused

Anyway, I'd like to close with a general request: Many here know my surname from my early days here, but I would really be grateful if they would nonetheless respect my wish to now keep it more private and off the forum. It irks me when people write my full name (as some have done with Tony, above) -- I think you should not use someone's last name online, if the member himself doesn't use it. (Again, I dropped mine for a reason). Stern Smile

So please, just call me Peter -- if you really mean Peter Gabriel, or Peter Hammill, then use their last names. Me, I'm just "Peter" -- for real. Smile

Interesting topic! Thumbs Up

...but it's pleasing when people refer to me by real name as it indicates for me that those people have taken an interest in me (even if they don't remember my real name, at least they've checked my hardly informative profile).  If I used Greg as my username, then automatically everyone would call me that, and therefore it would be less of a pleasure when people call me by my real name.  I know that's very shallow of me, but it's comforting when people take some interest in the more personal details.
That is a great post, Greg; I only highligted this particular bit because I can really identify with it.  When I first began posting in internet forums, I did not realize the personal component that comes with time - eventually I would became comfortable and connected with the people behind the avatars and realized that it's only a semi-imaginary world.  When I registered here, I had no intention of being ME, in fact that was the whole point - to get away from real life.  I was perfectly content to be JImmy or JR or whatever.  I can see what Peter was getting at with "hiding" behind a pseudonym: that was part of the allure of internet boards.  You are given the chance to create an alter-ego in a way.  I was never one to include any info in my profile, but at some point, after seeing the relationships that people developed (especially at a site like this), I started trying to connect with people.  I can remember the very first day I put my name in the profile; someone (can't remember who) sent me a PM and addressed me as "Ryan."  I found that very comforting yet strange in that my real-world self had followed me to this secret escape.  I guess you can never really get away from it. 

For those of us that use a different screen-name, it is intereting to see who picks up on the real name; it seems to facilitate a more personal interaction, as Greg said, especially when you know that someone had to take an extra step to reach past the screen name.
Signature Writers Guild on strike
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 19:06
ErmmHmmmm...

Bomb Japan?
Bolivian Jurist?
Born Jewish?
Bug Juice?
Blue Jewels?
Bring Juanita?
Bite Juan?
Biscuit Jelly?
Burmese Jungle?
Bongo Judo?
Burgundy Jam?
Blame Jesus?
Burning Joint?
Bang Jimenez?
Bonk Janice?
Bleating Jackass?
Busking Jazzmen?
Brawny Joe?
Broken Jaw?
Balmy Jupiter?
Boring Job?
Blown Jape?
Bikini Jane?
Beginner's Jitters?
Bimini Jade?
Black Jaguar?
Bloody Journey?
Belly Jeopardy?
Beautiful Jasper?
Basking Jailer?
Boyfriend Jilter?
Big Judy?
 Wacko

Confused I dunno -- it's on the tip of my tongue, as it were....or not! Wink

Edited by Peter - January 14 2009 at 19:10
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 13:46
BJ-1 Wink
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 13:46
Brenda Jean? Barbara Jo? Bank Job? 
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 13:35
Barclay James? Bob Johnston?? Billie Jean???
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 13:32
I don't really care whether you call me Jeanine, Jean or BaldJean; just don't call me BJ because that stands for something else

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 12:53

My real name is Peter, and you can all call me that, just as people do in real life (though often at work I get "Sir,' which I don't mind as a traditional sign of respect for my position).

I have never used a nickname here. Way back when I joined, I decided to be "real," to mean what I say, and to attach my actual name to all of my posts, to show that I took responsibility for my words, and was not hiding behind some nickname or assumed "web persona." I am an actual person, not a "role" or "construct." (I also wanted my reviews to have my real name attached to them, as they are my original work.)

I had no previous experience with forums (this is still the only one I belong to), so perhaps naively I started out with my full name here (as Jim Garten still does). After a couple of years or so, though, and some particularly acrimonious exchanges with others, I decided to remove my last name, in the interest of my own privacy and security, and that of my family -- you never really know just how unbalanced an angry (or possibly lovestruck?LOL) stranger on the web might be. I also did not want just anyone to be able to Google my name, and link to all of my posts here (some of which might not be the sort of thing I'd want a boss or student to be able to read and instantly associate with me, for example).

Thus today, I just go by my first name here. Much like getting a tattoo, a nickname would frankly feel silly to me, and "limiting."

Ermm I have also often wondered why so many use nicknames, only to then get called by their (publicly listed) real first name anyway, by all who come to "know" them. I just can't keep track of all of those real names, if it's the nickname which I see on the posts on a routine basis. ("Logan" is Greg, "Dude" is Geoff, "Maani" is Ian, "Vibrationbaby" is Ian, "Easy Livin" is Bob, etc, etc, etc.) Why have a nick, if people generally and freely just call you by your actual name anyway, and you even encourage that by disclosing it in PMs, etc? I don't get it. Confused

Anyway, I'd like to close with a general request: Many here know my surname from my early days here, but I would really be grateful if they would nonetheless respect my wish to now keep it more private and off the forum. It irks me when people write my full name (as some have done with Tony, above) -- I think you should not use someone's last name online, if the member himself doesn't use it. (Again, I dropped mine for a reason). Stern Smile

So please, just call me Peter -- if you really mean Peter Gabriel, or Peter Hammill, then use their last names. Me, I'm just "Peter" -- for real. Smile

Interesting topic! Thumbs Up

Thank you for the thoughtful and interesting response.  In regards to your query, Peter (and please excuse the rambling):

I've been using this nick since a couple of years or so after I started with message boards.  Originally I used my full name, both at a screenplay writing site, and then at Rex Murphy's "Cross Country Checkup" forum.  I started using Logan at a site as a fictitious character at a long defunct humour-based site.  After a while I identified myself with the nick and it followed through several boards -- this being my last board.  At other sites I was only known as Logan (or Funk).  I offered my first name in my profile, and others decided to use it (especially PA colleagues of mine), and then I got into the habit of commonly using first names.  I have thought about changing my username to Greg, but then I'd have to specify Greg M. At least I'm the only Logan here.  I actually prefer the name Logan, I have never liked the name Greg or Gregory, but it's pleasing when people refer to me by real name as it indicates for me that those people have taken an interest in me (even if they don't remember my real name, at least they've checked my hardly informative profile).  If I used Greg as my username, then automatically everyone would call me that, and therefore it would be less of a pleasure when people call me by my real name.  I know that's very shallow of me, but it's comforting when people take some interest in the more personal details.  In the past I was not one to divulge things of a personal nature (be it my name, situation, job etc.) but as I've felt closer to this community, I've shared more about myself, and for a long time I have taken an interest in the lives, and not merely "the words", of other people at forums, as I have wanted to "know"/ "understand" people as well as one can in such venues.  I don't like to pry into other people's lives, but one gleans much over time.  I'm particularly fascinated by people's idiosyncrasies.  I must be reasonably well-known for my soggy digressions.  I think it's selfish need of mine because understanding other's helps me to understand myself.   I know this is a serious digression, but it's related -- has to do with my desire to personalise the members more (knowing and using someone's real name is one part of that).  Especially after becoming involved in team work, this site became a more personal venue for me.

Though my memory is not nearly as good as it was before having children, I have a very good memory when it comes to placing real names to nicknames, and for remembering what others have said, but it's not uncommon for me to learn a poster's name by checking the poster's profile.

Anyway, I have seriously considered changing my nick to my real name, but there are various reasons why I would rather keep my old one: people from old sites I visited might recognise me as Logan; I have used Logan for things I have prepared for the site (don't want to have to edit); a change of username can create confusion; people have quoted or referred to "Logan" posts, and it could confuse old threads (make them less readable/ easy to follow); I don't think the admins should have to change it to satisfy my ego; and, egotistically (and this is really very, very minor), there would be no particular pleasure in having people address me by real name if it were my username as well.  It must be said, though, that having people refer to me as Greg in threads has led to confusion (people not knowing who is being referred to -- once had a thread where I was confused with Greg Walker)

I'm fine being called either, though, and tend to be happy to be called something.  I sometimes am chuffed somewhat when spoken to directly rather than being referred to in some vague way (even if it is critical).

Edited by Logan - January 14 2009 at 13:05
limeyrob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2009 at 10:08
Rob in normal use. Though Robert is the name my parents use (or if I have done anything wrong Ouch)
Leningrad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 20:05

That's the closest I've gotten.

Oh, and I just noticed that one of the choices is 'to be called by someone else's username'. If you see me around, feel free to call me HughesJB4. On second thought, HUESJ4/ or something similar would probably be better.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 20:02
Originally posted by Leningrad Leningrad wrote:

I just get 'Dylan' usually because I mostly post in threads and areas where I'm already acquainted with most of the people who post in them. I was addressed in my username more when it was Chameleon. I've never heard somebody call me Leningrad.

BUT I BET YOU'VE HEARD SOMEONE CALL YOU LINGRAD BEFORE, AM I RITE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>