Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReal name, user name, or some nickname?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Poll Question: Which do you prefer to be called?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [10.77%]
30 [46.15%]
7 [10.77%]
1 [1.54%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.54%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.08%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.08%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [10.77%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.54%]
1 [1.54%]
2 [3.08%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.08%]
1 [1.54%]
1 [1.54%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Leningrad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 19:58

I just get 'Dylan' usually because I mostly post in threads and areas where I'm already acquainted with most of the people who post in them. I was addressed in my username more when it was Chameleon. I've never heard somebody call me Leningrad.

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 19:40
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Unless you can say my whole name (Teodoro Jose Gomez de la Torre Rosero) I really prefer to be called Teo (not Theo as I don't believe in name translations) or better yet, just T.

What is there to believe? jajajaja... you are peruvian, right T?

False sir, false. I'm from Ecuador. Just north of said country.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 18:28
^ How about "Kibble"? Wink
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 18:24
Lord or God would do just fine

But no, seriously, Alex is fine to be honest. Or "that guy with I - Meshuggah as his avatar".
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 17:56
On real life(Wink), they call me by my last name, but abreviated, don't know if it's common on other countries....

But here on PA, it's ok if they call me Cacho and not my real name, Pablo, though I do hate when they call me Chaco(AngryMike!WinkLOL)
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 07:21
I voted Mister X. Evil Smile

Seriously now, my name is Swan Song. And my nickname is Pagey.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 07:16
I'm not picky.  I don't even get cheesed off if you spell Brian Brain.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 06:42
Originally posted by crimson87 crimson87 wrote:

Tarkus would be an amazing name for a pet

Tarkus was the name of our sadly departed leopard gekko

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 06:40
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

I had no previous experience with forums (this is still the only one I belong to), so perhaps naively I started out with my full name here (as Jim Garten still does).

This was the second online forum I joined - on the other I was (and still am) known by my DJ name, but on this one I just wanted to be known by my real one (it's only going to last 5 minutes, there's only 30 members on the forum anyway & it's not as if I'll ever meet any of them is it...? )

Since then (5 years ago nearly?) I've joined a couple of other music forums (fora? ) & usually use another alter-ego Leslie145 (although I always use the same avatar, which has led to meeting some other PA members on other forums/fora/whatever), a reference to... well, a reference to a Leslie 145 (for those who don't know, a specific speaker cabinet used with Hammond organs).

In real life, I was Christened James, but the only person who ever calls me that is my grandmother.

Personally, I prefer the abbreviated version 'Jim'

Edited by Jim Garten - January 13 2009 at 06:49

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 05:26

^^^ pray tell.LOL

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 05:22
micky?

mikey was taken... and and my first user name got me into problems here LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 05:03

Guess I could explain my handle..

Plankowner is a Naval term, I was in the Navy for six years...  When you are part of a newly commissioned ship you are considered a plankowner of that vessel.  In the old days they'd actually give you a piece of the ship (a plank of wood) with it inscribed etc... Now all you get is a plaque.  Also Tampa Bay is known for the apocryphal legend Jose Gaspar (Gasparilla) who was a Spanish pirate who operated in SW Florida.  Hence why our football team is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.  Since I'm a season ticket holder I needed a name for my own custom jersey and since being a buc fan since their inception in 1976, I decided on Plankowner with the number being #76...  So, I've pretty much kept this moniker.

Before Plankowner, I used the term Shellback which is an initiation when you cross the equator on a naval vessel, before the initiation you are considered a slimey polywog.  The initiation itself is rather unthinkable and really isn't suited for telling to civilians, just know they remove the slime and you meet Imperium Neptuni Regis which consists of the Royal Staff, Neptunus Rex (Ruler of the Raging Main) and his Royal Scribe Davey Jones.  So you get inspected, instructed and passed into the Solemn Mysteries of the Ancient Order of the Deep.  I still like that nickname but really got tired of explaining it, hehe...

But to answer the topic itself, I don't mind being called by my first name, or last name, handle, or forms of it...
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 04:55

Unless you can say my whole name (Teodoro Jose Gomez de la Torre Rosero) I really prefer to be called Teo (not Theo as I don't believe in name translations) or better yet, just T.

What is there to believe? jajajaja... you are peruvian, right T?
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 04:52
I´m used to "hey, you a****le!"... but böthy works fine also
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 04:28
Well, since people generally don't react to my posts in any way, I can't say that I have this problem. No one ever calls me anything. Tongue

Seriously though, should the occasion arise, Toni & Jimbo are both fine by me. My sweet lord sounds pretty good too. Hallelujah!
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 04:17

I remember a discussion I had a while back about parents calling their children by their full name if they did anything wrong - like instead of "John" or "Johnny" they would go "John Wilkes Booth, get your ass in here!" I remembered going "Mm, nope, that never happened to me, too much of a mouthful for my parents to say - guess you would be the same, right? LOL

Male friends call me Kotro or Kotras.
Female friends call me Johnny.
Most family calls me J.
My brother calls me Dumbass.

And I'm fine with either, coming from the right people (only my brother gets to call me dumbass, don't get any ideas Wink).
Bigger on the inside.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 04:15
To all ye aka's and avatars I am very sincerely someone_else. The underscore is just because someone else has posted twice in the forum more than two years ago. I have already blown a crack in my principles concerning internet anonimity by putting my B-date in my PA profile.
However, in daily life I prefer to be called by my first name, so I won't make any objections if I'm addressed as Robert. And when I perform a virtual migration to Rockpommel's Land, you may even call me by my cat's name.LOL
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 03:37
I dislike my first name and always have, but it's still preferable to all the alternatives. My mum chose it because she liked James Dean, my dad went along with it because it couldn't be shorted (something he hated for some reason) and he didn't like James. I'm just peed-off they couldn't be creative enough to come up with a second name to go with it and at least give me the choice of which to use... (Of course what my dad failed to notice is that rather than shorten it, most people make it longer by adding spurious vowels to the end - something I'd probably would have coped with if it were not for that bloody pet dinosaur off of the Flintstones Angry). It's not a common name in England, though it has had brief periods of popularity, at one time there was three of us in a class with the same name - and to much hilarity, I often found myself sitting next to a kid called James or Martin, and at one time next to a girl whose surname was Dean, again to much hilarity.

Through out school life I accumulated a number of ecclesiastically-based nicknames randomly derived from my first name, all of which are gladly forgotten. Kids can be particularly cruel when giving nicks to people and I've always made a point of not using them.

At school the girls were called by their first name and the boys by their surnames - that always bugged me to the point where I'd simply ignore people who called me by my surname, including the jumped-up little dictators known as teachers, who I never liked calling "Sir", though after several periods of lunch-hour and after-school forced captivity known as "detentions" I eventually gave in on that score, but always spelt it "Cur" in my head...

Thanks to my surname, I became the past-master at ignoring people who derived nicks from that too. It also bugs me that I struggle to pronounce my own surname over the 'phone - (I discovered recently my sister used to have the same problem - but she fixed that by simply changing it) - the really annoying thing is I can pronounce Bracknell with ease Confused

On AOL I was known as DarkDean because that seemed like a Gothic thing to be, then one day I accidentally deleted the username and couldn't get it back again, so became DarqDean and some people still call me that IRL, (or DeanDarq or just Darq) - I dropped it here simply because some people (such as Iván) kept calling me Darg.

So, bottom line is Dean is fine, because I don't have an alternative and after 50 years I'm slowly getting use to it.
What?
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 02:26
Call me by the genre of the last band I mentioned, except use 'proto' as a prefix and "core" as the suffix.

And that's MR. Protozeuhlcore to you. 
Jozef View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2009 at 00:47
My name is actually Joseph but I prefer Jozef as my username. Big smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>