Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNearfest XI, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, June 09

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2009 at 18:30
Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I think I see a trip for Raff and I.... 

*sneaks into Micky's suitcase

as long as you wear the Caress of Steel shirt LOL

Edited by micky - January 24 2009 at 18:30
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2009 at 18:37
Originally posted by TalmLikeABalm TalmLikeABalm wrote:

Thanks!

Looks like nearfest has the most bands I like.

I'm very excited about Van Der Graaf Generator, Beardfish and PFM.  And I hope Fish performs clutching at straws on friday night.  =)

Friday night is VdGG and Steve Hillage, the info including the after show parties and Fish was last year 2008...
TalmLikeABalm View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 06:09
ohh... =/
johan15 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 23:15
I'm gunna have to make the trek. Too good to miss!
OzzProg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2009 at 18:05
I have a question about this wonderful event. I am an avid 17 year old Prog Rocker, and I definitely enjoy all the bands attending (I never thought I would get to see GonG, or VDGG live!), but my friends and I want to make a road trip down. My friends however, are not avid friends of Progressive Rock (well one is). The question, to be precise is; What is the NEAR fest atmosphere like? I've never been before). Is it a hardy hardy rock festival with tons of unmentionables going on (which we would never do), or is it a stuck up show, with prude men giving us younglings dirty looks? (as we recieved at a Jethro Tull, and Jon Anderson concer).

I want my friends who don't like Prog to atleast have a good time, even if it isn't for the music.
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 21:28
Nearfest tips:

First.. not a surprise, but Nearfest this year is practically already sold out in patron seats.  There are 1002 seats in the venue... 600 seats have already been requested by patrons.

That means that most of the non-sold tickets will probably go at the box office, since thats an annual pilgrimage for many who found that its near to impossible to get this tickets on-line.  So if you'd really like to go, you should go to Bethlehem on box office sales day.  I believe thats the weekend of April 4th.  One reason why we went patron.. we'll be in Montreal at the Marillion weekend.. that weekend.

My husband and I went for patron tickets this year, with Friday night's ticket.. will cost us over $310 each.  I'm already feeling guilty and hope we'll both still have our jobs by then.

P.S.  to Talm... Fish did play most of Clutching at Straws last year.

Edited by threefates - January 30 2009 at 21:32
THIS IS ELP
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 22:24

It'll be worth it, don't worry Clap

I went patron too...
OzzProg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2009 at 00:49
So theoretically, the whole show could be sold out with Patron tickets before they go on sale at the box office?

That's terrible... But luckily I'm willing to spend 300 dollars...

Damn, Prog rock really dents the wallet...

P.S. my other question didn't really get answered; what is the atmosphere like at NEAR Fest?

Edited by OzzProg - January 31 2009 at 00:51
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2009 at 07:22
This will be my first year, so I really don't know...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2009 at 17:24
sounds like we better not sit our asses if we want to go hahha. Best order some tickets hahaha
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2009 at 01:04
Tickets for NEARfest '09 will go on sale to the general public Saturday, April 4th, 2009 at 10:00am ET.

I'd set up an account with the venue website micky, you can even add a credit card for purchases, that way it will be a quick purchase without any hassles...  Miss the 10am time, it might sell out...
cumquott View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2009 at 07:45
Originally posted by OzzProg OzzProg wrote:

P.S. my other question didn't really get answered; what is the atmosphere like at NEAR Fest?

I think it's a great venue. It's on the campus of Lehigh University, and completely under cover -- inside there's lots of room to wander around between shows but most people tailgate on the parking deck. This last year there was a campus police presence, as they're trying to keep the drinking in check, but I heard of no trouble. Oh, and I think the concert hall itself is tops.

And a nice (but smallish) part of Bethlehem is a short walk away.
Yo.
cumquott View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2009 at 07:52
Originally posted by OzzProg OzzProg wrote:

The question, to be precise is; What is the NEAR fest atmosphere like? I've never been before). Is it a hardy hardy rock festival with tons of unmentionables going on (which we would never do), or is it a stuck up show, with prude men giving us younglings dirty looks?

Ah, now I get it. Most groups of people seem to keep to themselves rather quietly. It's very cool, almost subdued, with people and prog everywhere. I won't promise there won't be someone doing something, but I wouldn't be afraid to bring someone in their teens or their 70's, for example.

There's a LOT of time to sit, so bring something to do!
Yo.
cumquott View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2009 at 08:03
Originally posted by TalmLikeABalm TalmLikeABalm wrote:

Are there any other prog festivals in the US?

There are three in Pennsylvania alone: ROSFest, NEARFest, and the new 3RP.

NEARFest is the "big guy" but ROSFest is a great festival in a really nice suburb of Philly. Two years ago ROSFest simply *blew* *me* *away*. I have never been to a better overall festival. OF course, NEARFest was really good that year too.

The first 3RP had an outrageous lineup, including Spock's Beard, Neal Morse, The Flower Kings, TCGT, etc etc etc but I think they need a better venue. It's in the middle of nowhere, although it's nice to sit outside assuming it's not raining. The stage is neat in that it juts out into the audience, but I didn't want to try to look through Rio's butt for the SB show so we got up and sat elsewhere for them.

Yo.
OzzProg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2009 at 18:34
All right thanks, ill stick with the normal tickets. :)

The other post made it sound like you're out of luck if you don't go patron (which would be a terrible scam)

Originally posted by cumquott cumquott wrote:

Ah, now I get it. Most groups of people seem to keep to themselves rather quietly. It's very cool, almost subdued, with people and prog everywhere. I won't promise there won't be someone doing something, but I wouldn't be afraid to bring someone in their teens or their 70's, for example.

Oh no! We will be scarred for life :)

Jozef View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2009 at 09:52
Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

Nearfest tips:

First.. not a surprise, but Nearfest this year is practically already sold out in patron seats.  There are 1002 seats in the venue... 600 seats have already been requested by patrons.

That means that most of the non-sold tickets will probably go at the box office, since thats an annual pilgrimage for many who found that its near to impossible to get this tickets on-line.  So if you'd really like to go, you should go to Bethlehem on box office sales day.  I believe thats the weekend of April 4th.  One reason why we went patron.. we'll be in Montreal at the Marillion weekend.. that weekend.

My husband and I went for patron tickets this year, with Friday night's ticket.. will cost us over $310 each.  I'm already feeling guilty and hope we'll both still have our jobs by then.

P.S.  to Talm... Fish did play most of Clutching at Straws last year.

Oh jeez, that's a little unsettling but I hope there may be some tickets left over for friday. I'm already going to ROSfest so it would be great to attend another prog festival and because I can't afford the 2 or 3 day passes, seeing Van Der Graaf Generator and Steve Hillage is worth it to me.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2009 at 12:44
Originally posted by Plankowner Plankowner wrote:

Tickets for NEARfest '09 will go on sale to the general public Saturday, April 4th, 2009 at 10:00am ET.

I'd set up an account with the venue website micky, you can even add a credit card for purchases, that way it will be a quick purchase without any hassles...  Miss the 10am time, it might sell out...

cool... thanks for the head's up. Clap I'd really like to make it to this one, and to bring my better half along with me hahha.
Mikerinos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2009 at 13:34
I kind of wish the lineup sucked so I wouldn't have to spend the $300ish for a ticket, plus about $50-100 I will undoubtedly spend at the festival itself.  Oh well, VdGG might be the only chance I have to see a "top 5" band of mine, since most of them are disbanded now.  I love Gong, Steve Hillage and PFM, too, plus Supersister is a great bonus.  The rest don't excite me, but that doesn't mean they are unable of it, just I'm not familiar with them.  However, I do plan on checking out the Mexican band soon.
OzzProg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2009 at 15:55
I haven't been able to come up with a straight answer from posts I've read.

Is it remotely possible to order ticket's online, on Saturday, April 4th, 2009 at 10:00am ET.

Or is it necessary to either buy Patron, or truck on down the Bethlehem for that date? I was willing to spend 200$ for a ticket, but 300 for patron is pushing my teenage budget. :(
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2009 at 22:49
The Patron program is over, they enabled the form only for 72 hours, Jan 24th to the 27th.

If you visit the Nearfest website, it has a link for the venue.  You can order by phone, at the venue box office, and online.  I registered with the venue website to be able to order online and for the ticket newsletter etc... this was before I signed up with the patron program.  If I didn't sign up for the program I'd been on my computer on Apr 4th at 10am EST ready to order to tickets, if it seemed at 10:01 or 10:05 they weren't available online I'd be ready to call and try to order over the phone...  I think on or after Apr 4th, it will just be luck to acquire tickets...

You could always call the venue and I'm sure they'll answer any questions you may have..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>