Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNearfest XI, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, June 09

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2009 at 00:51

I still thought Beardfish was great, but its a shame that them and the other band that I really like aren't playing Stern Smile

But heres my rankings for the bands:

PFM
VDGG
Gong
Trettioariga Kriget
Beardfish
Quantum Fantay
Steve Hillage
DFA
Cabezas de Cera
Oblivion Sun

No band this year actually disappointed me. Just Hillage a tad bit... But hey, at least the music was good.

PFM definitely brought down the house.

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2009 at 05:34
Originally posted by proggy proggy wrote:

Didn't anyone go. How come no reviews. If you are interested go to
www.progressiveears.com. Kinda baffled nobody is talking about this

Micky and I did, and other people too, but I don't feel like writing a review that no one will read. I have other things to do now. Anyway, I am also a member of PE, and am familiar with that thread.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2009 at 16:15

who's a nobody LOL

hey proggy...  as Raff said.. we and some others...past and present members of this forum were there.  Surprisingly enough.. there isn't much of an east coast contingent on this site... and not everyone can afford to drop hundreds of dollars for tickets, food, lodging, Newcastles...and Greg Walker hahha. 

anyway...

my favorites and mini-thoughts...

the good

PFM -   simply stunning.. .especially the stuff from Stati di Immaginazione. The merging of visuals and music was heavenly.  Especially the Venetian film.  Yet another reason why... in the words of Greg Walker... no one did it better than the Italians.

(by the way.... bottle and sell the essense of Di Cioccio and become a millionaire.  This man... old enough to be the father of many of the bands there...  simply put them to SHAME.  Wow.

Cabezas De Cera -  very taken with them... a nice change of pace from some of the other acts there.  Love all the influences and creativity they displayed.

VDGG -  never been a fan of the group.. though I like SOME of their music.   Seeing them, even minus David Jackson, was a bit of an illumination as to why so many swear on the group. 

(by the way...  never realized just how good a drummer Guy Evans was until you place him side by side with scores of other drummers... only Di Cioccio was more impressive)

Gong -  ... maybe it was being half drunk and feeling spaced out.. but really got into the music and the show.  One of the few major bands that I can honestly say I know little of and haven't heard that much from.   Going to correct that.

the bad...

Steve Hillage - maybe it was being half drunk and feeling spaced out.. but the vocals were terrible, the band seemed uninspired and the drummer sounded like hell.  Respect the artist... but didn't enjoy the show.

Oblivian Sun -  HT said it best... shame the personalities didn't match the music.  The epic was...to be polite... not inspiring at all.  Nice band... enjoyed the drummer.. but not impressed with their songwriting abilities.

Beardfish -  good show... unfortunately I couldn't see them without comparing them to 2006 where they blew everyone away.  That they didn't do.  Did really enjoy the new material they previewed from the new album.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2009 at 16:43
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

who's a nobody LOL

hey proggy...  as Raff said.. we and some others...past and present members of this forum were there.  Surprisingly enough.. there isn't much of an east coast contingent on this site... and not everyone can afford to drop hundreds of dollars for tickets, food, lodging, Newcastles...and Greg Walker hahha. 

anyway...

my favorites and mini-thoughts...

the good

PFM -   simply stunning.. .especially the stuff from Stati di Immaginazione. The merging of visuals and music was heavenly.  Especially the Venetian film.  Yet another reason why... in the words of Greg Walker... no one did it better than the Italians.

(by the way.... bottle and sell the essense of Di Cioccio and become a millionaire.  This man... old enough to be the father of many of the bands there...  simply put them to SHAME.  Wow.

Cabezas De Cera -  very taken with them... a nice change of pace from some of the other acts there.  Love all the influences and creativity they displayed.

VDGG -  never been a fan of the group.. though I like SOME of their music.   Seeing them, even minus David Jackson, was a bit of an illumination as to why so many swear on the group. 

(by the way...  never realized just how good a drummer Guy Evans was until you place him side by side with scores of other drummers... only Di Cioccio was more impressive)

Gong -  ... maybe it was being half drunk and feeling spaced out.. but really got into the music and the show.  One of the few major bands that I can honestly say I know little of and haven't heard that much from.   Going to correct that.

the bad...

Steve Hillage - maybe it was being half drunk and feeling spaced out.. but the vocals were terrible, the band seemed uninspired and the drummer sounded like hell.  Respect the artist... but didn't enjoy the show.

Oblivian Sun -  HT said it best... shame the personalities didn't match the music.  The epic was...to be polite... not inspiring at all.  Nice band... enjoyed the drummer.. but not impressed with their songwriting abilities.

Beardfish -  good show... unfortunately I couldn't see them without comparing them to 2006 where they blew everyone away.  That they didn't do.  Did really enjoy the new material they previewed from the new album.

Is he still sticking his sticks in the front of his pants when he sings?  Boy if Phil Collins had done that people would have crucified him. LOL

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2009 at 16:56
Actually, I think his sticks were stuck in the back of his pantsLOL....
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2009 at 17:04
actually, I think his sticks were stuck in the front AND back of his pants hahahha.  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2009 at 17:27
^LOLClap

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
Speesh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2009 at 00:09
Ahh forgot about this thread. That was my first Nearfest, phenomenal stuff. Seeing Gong was huge for me, and they blew me away with the energy they created. I wasn't expecting much from a band so far past their heyday, so it was all the better. Daevid's antics and outfits had me smiling the entire time. Cabezas De Cera was also a real treat, I'm going to have to check them out very soon. In fact I really loved everything except Oblivion Sun, nothing they played really grabbed me at all. All in all a great weekend. Glad to see you all enjoyed it as much as I did. Smile
Jozef View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2009 at 22:24
Sounds like everyone had a good time. I wish I could have made it. I was hoping to go to the friday show to see Van Der Graaf Generator but it sold out before I could purchase tickets.

Oh well, I still got to attend ROSfest 2009 and I'm going to Dream Theater's Prognation festival so I can always attend NEARfest next year.

Drummerboy View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2009 at 15:36
I found out about it from this site, and it was worth the 4-hour drive, expense, etc. etc. I was only really familiar with PFM but that was enough to get me to go (they were on my to-do list for 30+ years). The other oldies, including VDGG, Gong, Oblivion Sun and the other Swedish band were all revelations. The newer younger bands were all fresh and interesting. Not a clunker in the group, although Steve Hillage seemed kind of lost , with a pickup band from Gong.

Anyway, the whole concept of music of this caliber, in a great setting, with assigned seats, for people who could appreciate it, was amazing.

Demographic observations: audience was 90% male and median age 50 something.....Clap

Great Job. They should put out a sampler of the music played at the festival.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2009 at 16:17
For a review of the show, check out my Blog linked below.  Our own Raffa covered the event and did a great job!!  Big smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567