Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFrank Zappa the most popular PA artist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frank Zappa the most popular PA artist?
    Posted: January 25 2009 at 18:46
i think he is. i remember the days on this forum where Zappa barely got mentioned. now it seems i see his name everywhere on PA. anyone agree and/or know why this may be? maybe newer forum members have made him more popular?
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 18:52
None of the statistical date backs that assessment up in any respect, but it is possible people like myself merely aren't bothering to review him.

But even taking that into account, I doubt it.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
crimson87 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 18:56
I don't think he is the most popular prog artist. But probably since he was into many scandals in the 80's everybody knows who he is at least in the US. However I think Pink Floyd is the most popular artist if not , how can you explain 3 albums in the top 10 and WYWH being the most popular album of the last weeks?
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 19:02
im talking about on the forums. zappa clearly doesnt have as many album reviews as Yes, PF, KC, etc but Zappa is mentioned very much (especially in the last year or so) on these forums. maybe because the classic prog bands have been talked about to death and beyond and Zappa has more of a discography than all those bands combined.

at the least he's the most talked about well known prog artist on these forums
OzzProg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 19:10
I simply don't think he is.

Most people use the classic 5 to describe other music (well the majority of prog music on this site IS described with these 5). I think that these 5* are the MOST famous. Frank Zappa sure is know though, and I like him a lot, just not THE single most famous.

*Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, ELP
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 19:18
Originally posted by OzzProg OzzProg wrote:

I simply don't think he is.

Most people use the classic 5 to describe other music (well the majority of prog music on this site IS described with these 5). I think that these 5* are the MOST famous. Frank Zappa sure is know though, and I like him a lot, just not THE single most famous.

*Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, ELP
No, Gentle Giant are very clearly second tier, you mean Pink Floyd. The real big 5 is certainly more popular here, except for ELP, but a lot of people outside of this website who don't consider themselves prog fans and probably would never listen to Yes listen to Zappa, so I don't know in that respect. Or care, to be honest.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
OzzProg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 19:32
Maybe they are second tier, but 90% of eclectic prog is desrcribed using Gentle Giant as a base. Yes, i seem to have forgotten Pink Floyd, they are undoubtedly big as well...

But the answer to the top remains No for me. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 19:42
Zappa certainly gets mentioned a lot in topics.  I think he may be the most mentioned "solo artist" and is one of the most mentioned musicians.  I think we can exclude "band-names" from this discussion and focus on artists with so-called "solo" careers (and ones where the name or nickname is mentioned in the project name) such as Frank Zappa, Miles Davis, Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, Arthur Brown etc.  The topic is specfied as most popular "artist", not "band".

Edited by Logan - January 25 2009 at 19:44
Just a fanboy passin' through.
crimson87 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 19:45
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

[
The real big 5 is certainly more popular here, except for ELP.

ELP is underratedCryCryCry It's all Camel's fault!!LOL

Back on topic  , I think FZ is much more interesting to talk about than the most popular prog bands. Except for KC. He covered so much ground and innovated so much in the use of instruments and the studio that pages or books could be written about that. And don't get me started on conceptual continuity.

Edited by crimson87 - January 25 2009 at 19:46
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 19:58
Incidentally, I just started checking various artist names (listed in the PA band/artist pages) official sites at myspace to see how many "friends" are listed:

Frank Zappa has 92819 friends.
Peter Gabriel has 39137 friends.
Miles Davis has 23125 friends.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
meptune View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 20:26
I don' know about most popular on here, but he's certainly most popular with me!

"Arf, she said"
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 20:44
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Incidentally, I just started checking various artist names (listed in the PA band/artist pages) official sites at myspace to see how many "friends" are listed:

Frank Zappa has 92819 friends.
Peter Gabriel has 39137 friends.
Miles Davis has 23125 friends.

You gotta remember the vast majority of myspace users are scene kids, and because Zappa is the most trendy of out of him, David and Gabriel, of course Zappa will have more friends on myspace due to scene kids boosting his friend count. As the scene kids say "ZAPPA IZ TEH TRENDYZ".

And sometimes they do this too after the sentence: ^_^.

*Sorry Henry:P*

Edited by HughesJB4 - January 25 2009 at 20:46
OzzProg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 21:04
Well Frank Zappa might be the most popular solo artist, simply because his music is so diverse, and his discography so large.

Well I have to agree with the initial question then, I guess your MySpace data doesn't lie... However, since it says "PA artist", and you have MySpace data, it could differ, but I find in unlikely.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 21:07
I don't think so it's just a trend in the forum. At different points you'll see certain bands which get talked about non-stop.

I remember when I first came here it seemed like John Zorn, Spock's Beard, The Flower Kings, and Neo-Prog were talked about constantly. Now you won't see a discussion of any of those bands for the most part.

In a few months time you'll probably see discussion of his dimishing.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 22:24
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I don't think so it's just a trend in the forum. At different points you'll see certain bands which get talked about non-stop.

I remember when I first came here it seemed like John Zorn, Spock's Beard, The Flower Kings, and Neo-Prog were talked about constantly. Now you won't see a discussion of any of those bands for the most part.

In a few months time you'll probably see discussion of his dimishing.

maybe. but then again, ive been listening to Zappa for a few years now and havent been able to NOT bring him up at some point when talking about music, especially here
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 23:07
Yes and I feel that way about John Zorn. And others feel that way about the other bands mentioned as well as JT to add another. But the input of one person will not stand against the overall trend of the forum.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 23:11
I think when I first came here, Magma was the one that everybody was talking about. Now I'm not terribly sure what the most populare band is at the moment.

I think Frank Zappa's been getting a bit more love lately, but there have been plenty of polls with Opeth in them.

I'd probably say Frank Zappa is one of or is the most respected artist here.

I mean, plenty of people here don't like PF because they don't see them as prog. KC is pretty hit and miss cause of some of their strange stuff. Yes people don't seem to like sometimes because they do tend to do to many extended solos and leave people cold. Genesis I can't really say why, but they're just a band that plenty of people don't attatch to as much as the top bands, Jethro Tull as well. Dream Theater and ELP are obviously not liked as much for obvious reasons. Opeth is too extreme for most people. Mars Volta loses people with their noise and high-pitched vocals. Porcupine Tree leaves tons of people just dissaffected.

These are the most popular bands, but in my experience, they have all gotten a bit of hate at one point. Zappa, on the other hand, I have never seen outright bashed. Even when someone didn't like him, they seemed to respect him vastly.

I don't know, my two cents.

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 23:37
Popularity is a disease that affects everybody and everything at one time or another. Fortunately, it is curable.  But allowed to exacerbate too long, it creates festering scars and deformities.

I doubt popularity was ever amongst FZ's aspirations. Although, I am sure he would take great amusement at the thought of being the popular dead guy.

I like topofsm's assertion that FZ is amongst the most respected, but popular? Nah.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 23:40
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

I think when I first came here, Magma was the one that everybody was talking about. Now I'm not terribly sure what the most populare band is at the moment.

I think Frank Zappa's been getting a bit more love lately, but there have been plenty of polls with Opeth in them.

I'd probably say Frank Zappa is one of or is the most respected artist here.

I mean, plenty of people here don't like PF because they don't see them as prog. KC is pretty hit and miss cause of some of their strange stuff. Yes people don't seem to like sometimes because they do tend to do to many extended solos and leave people cold. Genesis I can't really say why, but they're just a band that plenty of people don't attatch to as much as the top bands, Jethro Tull as well. Dream Theater and ELP are obviously not liked as much for obvious reasons. Opeth is too extreme for most people. Mars Volta loses people with their noise and high-pitched vocals. Porcupine Tree leaves tons of people just dissaffected.

These are the most popular bands, but in my experience, they have all gotten a bit of hate at one point. Zappa, on the other hand, I have never seen outright bashed. Even when someone didn't like him, they seemed to respect him vastly.

I don't know, my two cents.

I think Rico hates Frank Zappa though Shocked
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2009 at 02:35
I don't get the prog experience I`m looking for from Zappa , what Zappa plays is good for what it is , I call it "Rock in opposition"  but its not prog.   Time we stopped kidding ourselves and I think Zappa would agree with what I`m saying.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>