Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFrank Zappa the most popular PA artist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2009 at 02:37
Originally posted by Yorkie X Yorkie X wrote:

I don't get the prog experience I`m looking for from Zappa , what Zappa plays is good for what it is , I call it "Rock in opposition"  but its not prog.   Time we stopped kidding ourselves and I think Zappa would agree with what I`m saying.  
But maybe the prog experience you are looking for is not the prog experience others are looking for.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
el dingo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2009 at 02:54
I guess Zappa's mentioned so often here because he's always been so influential musically and almost acts as a kind of reference point for comparative statements.

Add his politics, some fine diverse music and that fantastic poster of him on the crapperWink, the guy was always rated in the press as one of the coolest on the planet - and one of the most feared by right wing politicians!

Whether that makes him the most popular here, I doubt, but it's an interesting question. The questions I can't answer are always the most interesting to me. 
It's not that I can't find worth in anything, it's just that I can't find worth in enough.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2009 at 07:50
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

I think when I first came here, Magma was the one that everybody was talking about. Now I'm not terribly sure what the most populare band is at the moment.

I think Frank Zappa's been getting a bit more love lately, but there have been plenty of polls with Opeth in them.

I'd probably say Frank Zappa is one of or is the most respected artist here.

I mean, plenty of people here don't like PF because they don't see them as prog. KC is pretty hit and miss cause of some of their strange stuff. Yes people don't seem to like sometimes because they do tend to do to many extended solos and leave people cold. Genesis I can't really say why, but they're just a band that plenty of people don't attatch to as much as the top bands, Jethro Tull as well. Dream Theater and ELP are obviously not liked as much for obvious reasons. Opeth is too extreme for most people. Mars Volta loses people with their noise and high-pitched vocals. Porcupine Tree leaves tons of people just dissaffected.

These are the most popular bands, but in my experience, they have all gotten a bit of hate at one point. Zappa, on the other hand, I have never seen outright bashed. Even when someone didn't like him, they seemed to respect him vastly.

I don't know, my two cents.

I think it just seems like that due to how popular he currently is. I'm sure there's plenty of people here who don't like him and hold him in that high of regard. Personally I find him just average and don't understand the praise he gets even among the general public.

I would say King Crimson is more respected here. Even that though has been subject to change. I'd say right now out of the original giants you see them talked about the most. Whereas before I remember ELP and Yes getting the most post time out of the classics.

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - January 26 2009 at 07:52
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2009 at 11:39
I'm going to take advantage of this topic instead of starting a new one.  I've never really listened to Zappa outside of a few songs.  Any reccomendations?  I know he has quite the long list of albums, so if it's of any relevance, my favorite kind of music is more psychedelic stuff.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2009 at 13:03
It's not my favourite, himtroy, but probably his Mothers of Invention debut Freak Out! would be a good place to start. Actually, better yet methinks, go with his fourth album We're Only in it for the Money.

We're Only In It For The Money
(84 ratings)

Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

I don't get the prog experience I`m looking for from Zappa , what Zappa plays is good for what it is , I call it "Rock in opposition"  but its not prog.   Time we stopped kidding ourselves and I think Zappa would agree with what I`m saying.  
But maybe the prog experience you are looking for is not the prog experience others are looking for.

I prefer to reserve the Rock in Opposition description for bands of the movement, and those that were influenced by it.  I don't think of Zappa that way -- too commercially oriented, I'd think, too.

And I think of much Zappa music as Prog (I'm still lacking in my Zappa knowledge).  For Canadians, CBC Radio has been doing a Zappa special -- Part 3 will be on Jan. 31st.  http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/schedule_ITM.html

Originally posted by CBC.ca CBC.ca wrote:

The final episode of our three-part series on iconoclast Frank Zappa. The genre didn't matter-rhythm and blues, do-wop, jazz, classical- Frank Zappa embraced them all and folded them all into his own compositions. Frank Zappa made popular music that was challenging, and serious music that was listenable; to him there was only one type of music, good music; there was only one audience, all of us; and there was only one time, the present. You could also say that he wrote just one piece of music, a work, eclectic as it is, that happens to run for about a hundred hours. This series explores Frank Zappa as a composer, through the memories of some of those who knew him best: his family, his friends, and some of the musicians who worked with him. In this programme, we’ll hear Gail Zappa, Franks wife; Ruth Underwood, the percussionist who first heard him at a famous concert at New Yorks Garrick theatre in 1967; Elliot Ingber, a guitarist in the early Mothers of Invention, and Joe Travers, drummer and vaultmeister of the Zappa archives. I am all day and night: The Music of Frank Zappa was written and produced by Philip Coulter

Incidentally, I owe much to my Prog re-awakening to hearing "Peaches en Regalia" on classic rock radio.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2009 at 13:11
Probably FZ is so so popular in PA, he is often cited as one of the most influencial player and composer, but i think that most of the people cited him without hearing his music much, and that's because nobody (including me) comments his works in an very extensive manner.

Anyone who applies this comment.
For those who get offend. 

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2009 at 21:55
Well I seem to be in the mood to elaborate tonight, from the point of view of one who literally grew up listening to FZ.

I bought Freak Out, at great expense at the time, because even the album cover art promised danger.  I was, I don't know, maybe 12 or 13 years old at the time.  I didn't really get Freak Out at the time, but that didn't stop me from picking up Absolutely Free (again at great expense, ya don't get to buy a lot of $3.00 albums when you are too young to work and your allowance is 50 cents a week).  Absolutely Free well this was the beginning of my downfall you might say.  Before that album I tried to fit in, tried to be a good boy and student and citizen, but after that album it no longer mattered.  FZ was speaking to all of us who just didn't quite fit in with the cheerleaders and jocks.  We had a voice, and it was FZ. 

"I'm losin' status at my high school..."

"Primer mi carucha Chevy '39..."

"Got 'em at the Pep Boys..."

And a thousand other quotes, all fraught with meaning.

Once I was able to get a job, well it was always the FZ albums that were at the top of the list.  Never missed a one.

Zappa went through some questionable years -- Flo & Eddie I'm thinking of here -- but I stuck with him.  And then by my college years, when Overnite Sensation appeared out of nowhere, well my old muse was back in full force.  And it never let up until he passed.  Sure, there are some lean years when quality control in the UMRK was not all that great, but ol' Frank never let up on the vision.

So if he's discussed here a lot these days, well why not?  There are 25 years -- and entire generation -- of many great and many good and a handful of so-so songs, and even a couple of crappers, that mirror or reflect said generation.

I have an inkling what the current generation thinks of him...my son and daughter generally do not miss the Zappa Plays Zappa concerts when they come 'round here, and they don't go to see Dweezil, they go to hear the music. 

So maybe FZ is experiencing a bit of a renaissance...with its attendant chat and posts and recognition.  I really can't think of anyone who deserves it more.  It all bears repeated listening -- I'm saying years and years of repeated listening -- and always is engaging and challenging and evocative.  There's just not a lot of better rock music on the planet.   

Edited by jammun - January 26 2009 at 21:56
el dingo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2009 at 02:15
Originally posted by himtroy himtroy wrote:

I'm going to take advantage of this topic instead of starting a new one.  I've never really listened to Zappa outside of a few songs.  Any reccomendations?  I know he has quite the long list of albums, so if it's of any relevance, my favorite kind of music is more psychedelic stuff.

I'd add Apostrophe to the previous recommendations posted by Logan200 Motels is pretty smart, too.

Edited by el dingo - January 27 2009 at 02:17
It's not that I can't find worth in anything, it's just that I can't find worth in enough.
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2009 at 18:49
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I prefer to reserve the Rock in Opposition description for bands of the movement, and those that were influenced by it.  I don't think of Zappa that way -- too commercially oriented, I'd think, too.
I agree with that as well, but it was tangential to the point I was making. ;-)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2009 at 19:27

I agree with that as well, but it was tangential to the point I was making. ;-)

I know.  My response was specifically to Yorkie, but I wished to acknowledge/ repost your response to the same quote even though you were making a different point. :)
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 23:48
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

I think when I first came here, Magma was the one that everybody was talking about. Now I'm not terribly sure what the most populare band is at the moment.

I think Frank Zappa's been getting a bit more love lately, but there have been plenty of polls with Opeth in them.

I'd probably say Frank Zappa is one of or is the most respected artist here.

I mean, plenty of people here don't like PF because they don't see them as prog. KC is pretty hit and miss cause of some of their strange stuff. Yes people don't seem to like sometimes because they do tend to do to many extended solos and leave people cold. Genesis I can't really say why, but they're just a band that plenty of people don't attatch to as much as the top bands, Jethro Tull as well. Dream Theater and ELP are obviously not liked as much for obvious reasons. Opeth is too extreme for most people. Mars Volta loses people with their noise and high-pitched vocals. Porcupine Tree leaves tons of people just dissaffected.

These are the most popular bands, but in my experience, they have all gotten a bit of hate at one point. Zappa, on the other hand, I have never seen outright bashed. Even when someone didn't like him, they seemed to respect him vastly.

I don't know, my two cents.

this mostly explains what i meant in the original post
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 23:56
Roxy and Elswhere is a good one to start with too

or One Size Fits All

or Joe's Garage,

or a good majority of his albums are good to start, depending on what you're into, musically, and how open your mind is IMO
mkearney_913 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2009 at 22:58
Highly renowned? Definitely.

Most popular on PA? That's a stretch.
Fleetway View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 11:59
Personaly, I think Hot Rats have two of the best songs ever made. But from what other albums ive heard by him. I havnt been too impressed. Not that they were bad. Just nothing that fit my tastes.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 12:21
Originally posted by Fleetway Fleetway wrote:

Personally, I think Hot Rats have two of the best songs ever made. But from what other albums ive heard by him. I havnt been too impressed. Not that they were bad. Just nothing that fit my tastes.

Frank Zappa has some material that I love, and my Prog journey owes a great deal to hearing "Peaches en Regalia" on classic rock radio.  It was just so awesome hearing that for the first time sandwiched between boring music.  Great track.  I still haven't listened to a huge amount of his stuff because it's been very hit and miss for me.

Here's one I love by Zappa:

Edit: removed embedded youtube video, another one where "embedding has been disabled by request".

Here's a link intead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoJLMUBSMkc

Originally posted by mkearney_913 mkearney_913 wrote:

Highly renowned? Definitely.

Most popular on PA? That's a stretch.

Which PA Artist, not PA Band, do you think is the most popular here?

Edited by Logan - February 06 2009 at 12:45
Billy the Mountain View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 01:23
Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

Incidentally, I just started checking various artist names (listed in the PA band/artist pages) official sites at myspace to see how many "friends" are listed:

Frank Zappa has 92819 friends.
Peter Gabriel has 39137 friends.
Miles Davis has 23125 friends.

You gotta remember the vast majority of myspace users are scene kids, and because Zappa is the most trendy of out of him, David and Gabriel, of course Zappa will have more friends on myspace due to scene kids boosting his friend count. As the scene kids say "ZAPPA IZ TEH TRENDYZ".

And sometimes they do this too after the sentence: ^_^.

*Sorry Henry:P*

Are you kidding!!!! Zappa is trendier than peter gabriel.....lets not forget that genesis is probably the biggest sellouts in music history and have become more trendy and popular than Frank Zappa could ever be.  Frank Zappa was a force that battled conformity throughout his career, and the last word I would use to describe him would be trendy.  I agree with the previous posts that mention the range of Franks discography. He has made pure classical, pure jazz, chamber music, jingles, movie soundtracks, electronic music, syphonic rock, pure rock, satire, spoken word and the list goes on.  That man is the most influencial artist of the last 40-50 years.  As for THE BIG 5 (or six because I believe that gentle giant was AMAZING) Frank Zappa has released over 40 albums of original material, and over 100 total, name me one of those3 six that has come close to that feat and covered the range of different styles that Uncle Frank did.  That is why I believe his music is discussed so much, because it covers almost every genre so everyone can relate to one song or another.  Anyway, I just think you should rethink your wording when describing Frank: not trendy....how about transcendant, non-conformist, antiestablishmentarian, or maybe genious....but for the love of god not trendy!!!!!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 01:26
  I still haven't listened to a huge amount of his stuff because it's been very hit and miss for me.

[/QUOTE]
Get the grand wazoo, waka jawaka or my favorite apostrophe/overnite sensation check out Montana!!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 01:38
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

So maybe FZ is experiencing a bit of a renaissance...

I think youre right!  The situation right now (war) looks alot like it did in the sixties when zappa started.  Youth is once again looking for a voice to tell them that trendy and popular is not always cool.  Frank portrays that message with the satirical non conformist way of writing music and lyrics.  In addition the internet allows todays youth to find material that was simply not available to me when i started listening to Frank Zappa (the 90's).  I had to scour every record store in my province to find a copy of uncle meat, now I could download the entire collection in a day with a torrent.

PS did you ever see him live....if so I am very jealous!!

Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 02:21
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I remember when I first came here it seemed like John Zorn, Spock's Beard, The Flower Kings, and Neo-Prog were talked about constantly. Now you won't see a discussion of any of those bands for the most part.

Maybe it's the fact that some individual posters who promote these kinds of artists have been more often than not inactive? Perhaps key promoters of that cause?Wink
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2009 at 02:27
Originally posted by Billy the Mountain Billy the Mountain wrote:

Originally posted by HughesJB4 HughesJB4 wrote:

Incidentally, I just started checking various artist names (listed in the PA band/artist pages) official sites at myspace to see how many "friends" are listed:

Frank Zappa has 92819 friends.
Peter Gabriel has 39137 friends.
Miles Davis has 23125 friends.

You gotta remember the vast majority of myspace users are scene kids, and because Zappa is the most trendy of out of him, David and Gabriel, of course Zappa will have more friends on myspace due to scene kids boosting his friend count. As the scene kids say "ZAPPA IZ TEH TRENDYZ".

And sometimes they do this too after the sentence: ^_^.

*Sorry Henry:P*

Are you kidding!!!! Zappa is trendier than peter gabriel.....lets not forget that genesis is probably the biggest sellouts in music history and have become more trendy and popular than Frank Zappa could ever be.  Frank Zappa was a force that battled conformity throughout his career, and the last word I would use to describe him would be trendy.  I agree with the previous posts that mention the range of Franks discography. He has made pure classical, pure jazz, chamber music, jingles, movie soundtracks, electronic music, syphonic rock, pure rock, satire, spoken word and the list goes on.  That man is the most influencial artist of the last 40-50 years.  As for THE BIG 5 (or six because I believe that gentle giant was AMAZING) Frank Zappa has released over 40 albums of original material, and over 100 total, name me one of those3 six that has come close to that feat and covered the range of different styles that Uncle Frank did.  That is why I believe his music is discussed so much, because it covers almost every genre so everyone can relate to one song or another.  Anyway, I just think you should rethink your wording when describing Frank: not trendy....how about transcendant, non-conformist, antiestablishmentarian, or maybe genious....but for the love of god not trendy!!!!!
You are misinterpreting what he said, and trendy does not equal popular. Collins Genesis is as far away from trendy as popular music can get.

And I would disagree with your statement that he is the most influential artist of the last 50 years. Ornette Coleman/John Coltrane created a genre.

Edited by Henry Plainview - March 17 2009 at 02:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>