Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPsiglo for Heavy Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2009 at 13:45
Well, since DP and LZ are listed as 'hard rock progressive', let's move both to HP, and watch some people's heads explodeLOL...

Claude, I thought the band you liked was Ange, the French theatrical prog outfit - now it turns out it's the white-clad glamsters, AngelWink?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2009 at 13:50
I'm guessing that it might be "considered in the top 20" by whomever wrote that in the wikipedia article (or someone referenced/ a source.)  It should be referenced of course, and is useless, anyway.  Also, what are cited as examples of hard progressive rock do not help a  great deal for a Prog category.  Music should speak for itself, but the wikipedia article might be helpful for a bio if it is ever to be included.

Edited by Logan - January 27 2009 at 13:52
Alberto Muñoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2009 at 13:54
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

"Considered in the top 20" by whom?  

By these Ernesto Sclavo :

the article is in spanish i hope you can read that.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2009 at 14:11

"PSIGLO

RUBÉN MELOGNO (v,per)
GONZALO FARRUGIA (d)
LUIS CESIO (g)
CÉSAR RECHAC (b)
JORGE GARCÍA (k)

Formed in the early 70s after the break-up of two or three previous bands, this outfit was possibly the only Uruguayan rock band to enjoy, so to speak, a brief ''stardom status''.

From the beginning, they had a very defined visual presence and a progressive hard-rock approach.

With an above average production level, their albums are indisputable strong, supported by the Keith Emerson/Jon Lord type keyboards and the decisive Deep Purple guitar style. However, it is Gonzalo Farrugia's ultra speedy and effective drumming that gives the band its unique sound.

Idols in their time, their works were supported by both the public and the press.

Songs such as "Siénteme", "En un lugar un niño" and especially "Vuela a mi Galaxia" (all included on their great first album) were regularly played on radio and TV. The military coup found the group at its peak of popularity. So Psiglo was one of the few rock bands that continued working, with live shows selling out. But the magic sort of drifted away.

With a lower profile, and the departure of guitarist Luis Cesio, the band entered a period of darkness during which their second LP was recorded. The album, recorded as a quartet with César Rechac now on guitar, remained unreleased until 1977, when Psiglo was just a memory. Despite the long tunes, the excellent instrumental development and the clearly progressive rhythms, it was too late for a band that had moved to exile.

Gonzalo Farrugia later joined Crucis (the Argentinean band). Jorge García continued his career in Spain; years later he composed the Official Hymn of the Soccer World Cup of 1982.

The original version of the rare first LP featured gatefold sleeve and was reissued with a single one. The second LP is harder to get. Both records are available together on one CD.

ALBUMS
1972 - IDEACIÓN (Clave 701)
1977 - PSIGLO II (Clave 42705) "

Extracted from the book "The Magic Land" a guide of Argentinian and Uruguayan rock written by Marcelo Gasio and Marcelo Carmelo and Fernando Pau Cebey

And online version are avaible:

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2009 at 14:16
^thanks for your support Alberto.

...anyways, I want to tell you(Alberto) how did my suggestion of Psiglo came through, I was really wanting to add Totem, the band you wanted to add. I barely know them, but you said they might get a chance, unless you changed your thought, hehe.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2009 at 17:28
Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

^thanks for your support Alberto.

...anyways, I want to tell you(Alberto) how did my suggestion of Psiglo came through, I was really wanting to add Totem, the band you wanted to add. I barely know them, but you said they might get a chance, unless you changed your thought, hehe.

Cacho , they deserve to be in PA also (Totem)Wink

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2009 at 17:39
If you don't suggest them, they don't really stand much of a chance, do theyWinkLOL? Could you please tell us something more about Totem? If they are possible HP candidates, they'll be evaluated fairly and quicky as usual.

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2009 at 17:42
^oh no Raff, they're more directed to the Jazz Rock team this time, if I'm not mistakenTongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2009 at 17:43
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

If you don't suggest them, they don't really stand much of a chance, do theyWinkLOL? Could you please tell us something more about Totem? If they are possible HP candidates, they'll be evaluated fairly and quicky as usual.

Ok i will do... in a different threadWink

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 05:12
Psiglo are being listened to at present...Smile

...and we are very pleased to announce that, after much discussion and conferring, we have decided to add Psiglo to HP within the next few days...Thumbs Up

our sincere thanks to Pablo for the legwork in writing up the biography...ClapApprove 

Edited by Jared - January 29 2009 at 12:08
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12