Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIndexi genre incorrect

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indexi genre incorrect
    Posted: January 29 2009 at 04:51
Please I would like to see the genre of INDEXI (http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1470) changed from current "Heavy Prog" to more appropriate "Crossover Prog".

It is a remant from the days of Art Rock when it was automatically transformed into Heavy Prog.

Indexi occassionally had "heavy" sounding compositions, but overall due to strong link with mainstream pop rock (shorter and melodic songs), Crossover prog would be more appropriate.

Thanks!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2009 at 07:25
The two teams involved will see to the matter as soon as possible.
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2009 at 07:28
Thanks! Thumbs Up
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2009 at 07:42
I have already informed both my team (HP) and the Xover team of your suggestion. However, we may end up asking your for some listening material - personally, I've never heard anything by the band, so I am not in a position to judge.

Edited by Raff - January 29 2009 at 07:43
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2009 at 09:53
OK, I will provide samples if needed.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2009 at 15:06
Some more samples would be good to compliment the three on PA already thanks Seyo to make an assessment.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2009 at 15:09
Speaking on behalf of the HP team, from the songs we found on the band's MySpace page we got the impression that Indexi have a strong folk element, as well as a mainstream one. On the whole, we think they may be better suited to another subgenre than Heavy, as Seyo rightly pointed out. Now let's wait for the Xover team's opinion.
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2009 at 06:12
Although "folk" element may be debated, depending on what you understand as "folk", you are right that they have engaged in mainstream pop/rock fashion (participating in festivals of "easy listening" pop music). On the other hand their true prog input is really strong, where they combined elements of beat rock, psyche, jazz, blues, folk, symphonic, and heavy rock. However, this heavy side was never prevalent. 

Apart from 3 music samples be sure to check these available videos as well because they can help you hear diversity of their styles.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2009 at 06:22
^^ I think we're all for handing them over to Xover if they want them...(although they've not yet come to a decision)

anyway if not, I expect they'll stay where they are...Wink
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2009 at 10:46
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

^^ I think we're all for handing them over to Xover if they want them...(although they've not yet come to a decision)

That would be a pity, because they're certainly not a heavy rock band, although they had their occasional moments. They were mostly on a proggier side of Moody Blues/Procol Harum/Beatles, and varying their songs from mind blowing prog complexities to itsy  bitsy sing-a-long pop. Both me and my grandmother love them (for different reasons obviouslySmile)!!

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2009 at 11:05
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

That would be a pity, because they're certainly not a heavy rock band, although they had their occasional moments. They were mostly on a proggier side of Moody Blues/Procol Harum/Beatles, and varying their songs from mind blowing prog complexities to itsy  bitsy sing-a-long pop. Both me and my grandmother love them (for different reasons obviouslySmile)!!

well, in order for a band to move genres, a majority decision needs to be made both by the team requesting their submission, and the team releasing them.  The HP team have agreed that they can leave our genre with our blessiing, but no-one has, as yet, come to collect them... and we feel we have enough to do with submitting new bands, to spend time touting them around..Wink
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2009 at 13:30
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Well put, Clarke! Clap
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2009 at 14:09
The Xover team hasn't been very active these days - Chris is enjoying the summer in NZ, and Micky hasn't been around very often (he's a bit burned out). When they come round to doing some work again, I'm sure they'll evaluate the band, and quite probably accept it. For the time being, all we can do is wait... After all, this is something we do as a hobby, and not another job.
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2009 at 09:47
OK, there is no rush in this issue... no damage done even if they stay "heavy", it is only the matter of accuracy and trying to fit the band where they mostly belong to, even if sometimes it is uneasy to decide. But, Xover sub-genre seems like being tailored to suit Indexi, trust me... of course it is our hobby and that's the best part of it all :)
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2009 at 09:53
I trust your judgment, Seyo, and from what I have heard I agree with you 100%. They don't fit HP, and I don't think it would be to anyone's benefit to keep them there. Hopefully the Xover team will reach a decision soon.... Micky has been very busy at work in the past few days, but now that things have slowed down a bit, I'll remind him to give them a listen.
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2009 at 03:56
Thanks Raff!
Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply