Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedScorpions for Krautrock or prog related

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 11:41
I think thatīs a way too black and white rethoric ( Iīm not sure thatīs the right word but I guess you get the meaning), but your entitled to your opinion. Some of these artists are borderline cases but personally I think that having bands like Roxy Music, Kate Bush, Queen, Black Sabbath and other related artists on PA is a great treat. Iīve discovered some real treasures in that genre.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 11:50
But I'm not talking about Queen, who was on the very borderline of prog in pretty much the entirety of their catalog - I'm talking about acts that are deemed to have some (or even a little) prog-related content, and then pretty much nothing close to prog.  Bands that are on the margins of a category that itself lives on the margins of progressive rock music just don't belong.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 12:22
Or, to use David's immortal words, "related to Prog-Related"Wink...

The paradox is that currently we have bands in PR that have released a number of fully prog albums, and some who are there with much less valid credentials (such as having been members of prog bands). I don't think that is fair to the first category at all... Acts like Queen, Roxy Music, Deep Purple (who are in PP), even Black Sabbath are put on the same level as those who were thrown in PR after a cleanup session because they could not be deleted.
Alberto Muņoz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 13:49
I say that Scorpions are not HP, are not PR so?

They are a Hard Rock band with prog overtones not enough to be PR and only the 70's albums.

So i suggest to not suggest to add to PA

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 13:52
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

But I'm not talking about Queen, who was on the very borderline of prog in pretty much the entirety of their catalog - I'm talking about acts that are deemed to have some (or even a little) prog-related content, and then pretty much nothing close to prog.  Bands that are on the margins of a category that itself lives on the margins of progressive rock music just don't belong.

Tell us what bands are those?

UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 13:57
Iīm a bit curious tooWink.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 13:57
Originally posted by Alberto Muņoz Alberto Muņoz wrote:

Tell us what bands are those?

It's a hypothetical, Alberto, but would be applied to the Scorpions if their early output is deemed to be prog-related at best.  Again, I shall not take a definitive stance on the precise matter of the Scorpions inclusion because I'm not familiar with their work, but wanted to use this space to address this more general issue.
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 14:38

Disclaimer:  I don't know the Scorpions material at all, save for the odd handful of popular FM radio tracks some 20 years ago.

http://www.emusic.com/album/Scorpions-Lonesome-Crow-MP3-Download/11280928.html

Only 30 second samples, but if you listen to them all in a row you get a pretty good impression of the album (3 1/2 minutes).
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 14:40
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

Disclaimer:  I don't know the Scorpions material at all, save for the odd handful of popular FM radio tracks some 20 years ago.

http://www.emusic.com/album/Scorpions-Lonesome-Crow-MP3-Download/11280928.html

Only 30 second samples, but if you listen to them all in a row you get a pretty good impression of the album (3 1/2 minutes).

thanks
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 15:03
I don't know if it's been mentioned again, but I posted some "Lonesome Crow" vids on the first page.  Check out this link for videos --> http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Scorpions+%22Lonesome+Crow%22
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 15:13
The problem is also that Lonesome Crow and Fly to the Rainbow are not full out prog.  If they only made LC, FTTR, In Trance and  Virgin Killer they would still be a tough choice to put on here.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 15:16
1. they don't need a "full out prog" album to qualify as prog related
2. Their 80s albums don't make their 70s albums less prog(related)

But like I said above: adding them would be a tough decision, because probably most people think like you.Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 15:25
^So what is your position, Mike?  If it was up to you, would they be on?  I gave up caring who gets on as soon as Led Zeppelin made it and I realized I have no voice in the matter.  But as I stated before, if I ever saw a review of Crazy World on here, I might go crazy myself.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 15:30
Originally posted by johnobvious johnobvious wrote:

^So what is your position, Mike?  If it was up to you, would they be on?  I gave up caring who gets on as soon as Led Zeppelin made it and I realized I have no voice in the matter.  But as I stated before, if I ever saw a review of Crazy World on here, I might go crazy myself.

We have no voice either, John, don't worry about that. Personally, I couldn't care less about who is added or not - I have a very broad-minded outlook, and I would never start a crusade against the addition of X or Y. However, it would be nice if sometimes people's opinions were listened to - especially when they come from those who work for free on behalf of the site.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 15:35
Raff, I am just curious if the scenario was that Scorpions only released the first 4 albums and then disbanded.  Would it be a no-brainer then?  I think they would be on a level with the Black Sabbaths and LZ's of the world and probably get on.  And then be hailed in reviews as one of the best PR bands of the 70's.  But like everything else, context is important.

My vote would be no, but I feel I lean more toward the exclusionary side.
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 15:53
The Scorpions had one Prog-Related (maybe) album; Lonesome Crow then moved off to full-on hard rock. I've been a fan of The Scorps for over 30 yrs (well at least until Animal Magnetism) and they simply do not have enough to make them a good addition here.
Drifting Son and Fly To The Rainbow have more to do with Hendrix than they do to Prog or even Led Zep.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 16:22
Originally posted by johnobvious johnobvious wrote:

Raff, I am just curious if the scenario was that Scorpions only released the first 4 albums and then disbanded.  Would it be a no-brainer then?  I think they would be on a level with the Black Sabbaths and LZ's of the world and probably get on.  And then be hailed in reviews as one of the best PR bands of the 70's.  But like everything else, context is important.

My vote would be no, but I feel I lean more toward the exclusionary side.

Good question BTWWink

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 17:02
I think I said before that if it was up to me they would not be added - mainly because of the genre per artist limitation. I know that in the past I supported the addition of artists who only had one prog album (and I still do), but for prog-related, and considering that it was only their largely unknown debut album and they radically changed style after that ... it's simply too remote a relation to prog.

But luckily, it's not up to me ... Tongue
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 23:05
For Krautrock=lol.

Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2009 at 23:41
Seriously though, I'm like many others in the Collaborator position that is really hating on the prog related thing.
We get pages and pages of moaning and groaning about well known bands that (in this particular case IMO) are barely prog related, but people don't seem to bother going out of their to find bands that are true prog bands simply because they are underground and it actually,GOD FORBID, REQUIRES ACTUAL EFFORT on their part.

And for the record, I don't support them possibly being added, but hey, not up to me.

Edited by HughesJB4 - February 06 2009 at 23:43
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>