Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Tribute Bands and Prog Radio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Genesis Tribute album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2009 at 01:28
I'm actually getting more and more interested in this one! 

Your version of Cinema Show (or the excerpt from MySpace) is actually very good! I'd love to hear the full version, but what I heard was pretty good! 

Keep up updated  
-Joel

Joel ( i got it right this time),
There are a couple of full length samples in Reverbnation. Each song is also available for download in many of the usual outlets (amazon mp3s, last fm, cdbaby, rapshody, etc). I don't quite know how or if these sites work in Australia but I know that some people there have bought the actual CD through CDBaby (they deliver world-wide) I also know that people have bought it through iTunes UK and iTunes Canada. If you have an iTunes account you may be able to download it there.

Cheers,
L.A.
leonalvarado View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2009 at 01:37
Originally posted by Jon89 Jon89 wrote:

Don't you think there is enough Genesis Tribute albums out there without another one?

If I did I wouldn't have recorded one. I guess as a musician I think that I can add something different to the mix. Either through the arrangements or my original pieces. I also put a lot of effort in delivering a product that evokes some of the feel we had buying albums in the seventies. The CD comes in a cardboard gate-fold jacket that resembles those found in the Japanese mini LPs editions of classic rock albums. I get a lot of comments on how cool the package looks. I even got another project for someone else out of it (more on that later as things develop). You can check out the album's website which has very detail information about each track and how they came about. Then you can make a more informed assessment on my take of a tribute.

http://www.leonplaysmusic.com/Site/Home.html

Edited by leonalvarado - November 27 2009 at 02:02
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2009 at 01:42
Originally posted by Jon89 Jon89 wrote:

Tribute Bands And Albums suck

I just responded to your first post but perhaps I spoke much too soon. It sounds like you are one of those people that tribute albums are not intended for. But if you know of someone who likes tribute albums, please send them my way and I'll be most appreciative.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2010 at 23:39
I just finished my second CD. It will be an E.P. that will include among other things my rendition of Genesis' Second Home By the Sea. In a sense, the CD is a continuation of the last project. The main different is that it is mostly original material. The name of the CD is "Strangers in Strange Places". It will have two of my own compositions plus the Genesis song. 

If you are familiar with my other CD "Plays Genesis & Other Original Stuff" you'll get the idea of the new one. In approaching the Genesis song, I wanted to keep it close to the original but with a few twists in the arrangements. Almost as if it were more of an "alternate" version than anything else. In part because it is difficult to make it sound good once you remove the electric drum kit sound of it. I was first inclined to recorded with a more conventional drum sound but it sounded strange. I felt the song is in a way, is very driven by the percussion and therefore I tried my best to get the "Simmons" drum sound back into it. 

Since the song deals with ghosts living within the walls of a house by the ocean, I added a few of my own special effects like the sound of the ocean as well as some very interesting "ghostly sounds" here and there throughout the recording, (you'll need headphones to really appreciate those backing tracks). Since the other material is all instrumental, I decided to keep it that way and changed the usual vocal part with an original guitar solo. I'm very pleased with the result and I hope that all of you who will take the time listening to it, will enjoy it just as much. 

The EP will also include a song titled "Strange Places". For this song I got a couple of music legends to contribute to it. Bill Bruford on the drum tracks and John Goodsall on guitars. Both played together a long time ago in Brand-X. 

The last song is an extended version of the last song form my previous album. There was some remixing and some new recording added to it. The end result is an instrumental of around seven or eight minutes that make a great transition between the other songs in the CD. As of this writing, the material is over at Abbey Road studios being mastered. So far, we are on track for an October release.

There is a sample of "Strange Places" in the player of my myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/leonalvaradoplaysmusic
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12