Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPlaylist of pre '66 Proto-Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 16:28
Proto-Prog is not a subgenre, it is the seed of Progressive Music, not necessarily rock.
Any adventurous kind of music is prog imo: Anthony Phillips, Harmonium, Vangelis, Quilapayun... By the way, the end of proto-prog is the beginning of prog, so Deep Purple's Book of Taliesyn is proto-prog but Machine Head is retro, retro-prog or simply rock. In other words, after 1969 or 1970 there is no more proto-prog.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2009 at 04:21
Irrespective of what you consider as proto-prog, keep these proto-prog songs coming whether rock or other genre.

More suggestions (inspired be earlier threads):

Del Shannon Hats Off To Larry '61
Mar-Keys Last Night '61
Chantays Pipeline '63
Rebels '63
Marketts Out Of Limits '64

Dave Brubeck Quartet Take Five

Dave Clark Five

John Coltrane "A Love Supreme"+ Crescent

Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch,
Herbie Hancock - Empyrean Isles.

Bruce Haack - Dance, Sing and Listen

Skatellites?

Gottfried Michael Koenig "PROJECT 1"

Karlheinz Stockhausen "Mixtur" and "Mikrophonie I"

Graham Bond?

Georgie Fame?

Alan Price?

Zoot Money?

Alan Price

Terry Riley

Edited by earlyprog - March 21 2009 at 07:11
Captain Capricorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2009 at 15:13
Originally posted by earlyprog earlyprog wrote:

Irrespective of what you consider as proto-prog, keep these proto-prog songs coming whether rock or other genre.

More suggestions (inspired be earlier threads):

Dave Brubeck Quartet Take Five

Karlheinz Stockhausen "Mixtur" and "Mikrophonie I"

Terry Riley

Excellent additions! ...have we mentioned John Cage & Steve Reich yet?
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2009 at 06:59

Mar-Keys Last Night '61

No wonder I always thought this sounded like Booker T. & The MG's. I have just learned that It basically IS Booker T. & The MG's with members from this band.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2009 at 07:08

Del Shannon Hats Of f To Larry '61

With an early use of synthesizer-like electronics of some sort?
zicIy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2009 at 04:48

Originally posted by zicIy zicIy wrote:

"Milestones", "Kind of Blue" ... Miles' albums pre'66...who made the better proto-prog than him at that ancient times ? Nobody. Big smile

Any particular tracks off these albums?

May I suggest All Blues and/or So What off Kind Of Blue?

Do not know Milestones, so need your help on this one.

yea! "So What" track is my fav on "Kind of Blue" album.

"Milestones" the title track is my fav.

just my opinions, of course.
zicIy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2009 at 05:25

Originally posted by Rank1 Rank1 wrote:

I would say a no to "Zoot Suit" and "Im the Face". 

I strongly tend to agree with you as I have already indicated above.

I'm also not sure about Go Now.

Although by bands (previously) listed as proto-prog, I don't find the songs themselves to be proto-prog.

Pete Townshend was mentioned those mod hymns "Zoot Suit" & "I'm The Face" at Quadrophenia - an great rock opera about mods and their era, so if that's not enough for those two songs to be on your list, let's clean them out from the list. very simple.

i understand that's very hard to make an huge list of pre '66 proto-prog songs, so i just tried to help.

the opinions are always different.

for example,  i disagree that "The Ox" track is proto-prog. IMHO, that one is the very first British Prog Rock track.

Edited by zicIy - March 24 2009 at 05:33
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2009 at 20:47

Del Shannon Hats Of f To Larry '61

With an early use of synthesizer-like electronics of some sort?

Maybe it was just that cheesy organ that graced most of his hits, e.g., Runaway.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2009 at 04:33
Originally posted by zicIy zicIy wrote:

for example,  i disagree that "The Ox" track is proto-prog. IMHO, that one is the very first British Prog Rock track.
Entwistle plays a wonderful bolero style bass as he often did. It was later adopted by Emerson and King Crimson who fell in love with the bolero. Even to this day it remains a signature aspect of Emerson's best work, just listen to 2008's Emerson Band feat. Bonilla
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2009 at 05:44
Originally posted by Captain Capricorn Captain Capricorn wrote:

- also, check out Attilio Mineo's Man In Space With Sounds (1962)

...as well as Louis & Bebe Barron's soundtrack to the 1956 film Forbidden Planet & Les Baxter's Music Out Of The Moon (1947).

I suppose all of this might work better for a pre '66 space playlist than a pre '66 prog playlist Cry

Great examples of music that may have influenced prog. Most notably the use of the theremin, the Moog and electronics. I think the most obvious link can be heard in early Frank Zappa. And Brian Wilson's use of the theremin. In a way, the sci-fi theme also acts as a precursor to the concept album. Also, this music is a precursor to prog artists' excursions into film scores / soundtracks.
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2009 at 08:15

from 1961

How about the 18 min epic Olι from Olι Coltrane 1961? It really sticks out of its time, and the album it belongs. (not just because its long) Very similar approach to a lot of jazzrockfusion we got on this site.. 
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2009 at 08:55
Not sure if anyone has mentioned Raymond Scott yet.

He was a pioneer of electronic music from the 1940s.

His music has had an influence on many musicians including R.E.M., Eno and many electronica artists.

Link:

http://raymondscott.com/timeline.html

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2009 at 10:00
Originally posted by Rank1 Rank1 wrote:

The Animals "House of the Rising Sun"

- recorded February '64 and released June that year.

More proto-prog Animals:

Baby Let Me Take You Home  Feb/March '64
I'm Crying  July/? '64
We Gotta Get Out Of This Place  ?/July '65 (earliest example of US-type psychedelic rock?)
It's My Life  ?/? '65 (another early example of US-type psychedelic)
I'm Gonna Change The World  ?/? '65 (yet another early example of US-type psychedelic rock)
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2009 at 14:23
In conclusion, below the proto-prog songs suggested.

I will continue the analysis of the songs in a future blog.

Song                                                        Recorded/Released             Artist

Goodnight, Irene                                         ?/? ’32                                  Leadbelly

This Land is Your Land                               ?/? ’44                                  Woody Guthrie

?                                                               40’s                                     Raymond Scott

Music Out Of The Moon                             ?/? ’47                                 Les Baxter

Mess Around                                              ?/? ’53                                  Ahmet Ertegun

Forbidden Planet                                       ?/? ’56                                 Louis & Bebe Barron

Milestones                                                 ’58                                       Miles Davis

So What                                                    March '59/Aug ’59                  Miles Davis

All Blues                                                    April '59/Aug '59                    Miles Davis
Take Five                                                   July '59/? ’59                         Dave Brubeck Quartet
Blue Rondo A la Turk                                  Aug '59/                                Dave Brubeck Quartet

Thousand guitars                                        ?/? ‘59                                  Tracey Pendarvis

I Hear a New World                                     ? ‘59/? ’60                             Joe Meek

Olι                                                            ?/? ’61                                 John Coltrane

Hats Off To Larry                                        ?/?  '61                                 Del Shannon

Last Night                                                  ?/? ’61                                  Mar-Keys

Man In Space With Sounds                       ?/? ’62                                 Attilio Mineo

?                                                                ?                                          The Shadows

Green Onions                                            June?/Aug ’62                     Booker T. & The MG’s

Chinese Checkers                                     ?/June ’63                           Booker T. & The MG’s

Mo’ Onions                                               ?/Dec ’63                            Booker T. & The MG’s

Not A Second Time                                    Sept/Nov ’63                        Beatles

Pipeline                                                      ?/? '63                                  Chantays

Telstar                                                        ?/? ’63                                  Tornados

Robot                                                        ?/? ’63                                  Tornados

?                                                                ?/? ’63                                  Rebels

"Mixtur" and "Mikrophonie I"                    ?/?                                       Karlheinz Stockhausen

?/?                                       Terry Riley

?/?                                       Steve Reich

?/?                                       John Cage

Out Of Limits                                              ?/? '64                                  Marketts (Ventures?)

?                                                                ?/? ’64                                  Dave Clark Five

I Call Your Name                                         Mar/June ’64                         Beatles

Baby Let Me Take You Home                      Feb/March ’64                       Animals

House of the Rising Sun                             Feb/June ’64                      Animals

A Hard Day’s Night                                  April/July ’64                       Beatles

She’s Not There                                        ?/July? ’64                           Zombies

Things We Said Today                              June/July ’64                       Beatles

Zoot Suit                                                   June/July ’64                       Who

I’m The Face                                             June/July                             Who

I’m Crying                                                July/? ’64                            Animals

Every Little Thing                                        Sept/Dec ’64                        Beatles

I Feel Fine                                                 Oct/Nov ’64                        Beatles

Go Now                                                     ?/Nov ’64                              Moody Blues

Tell Her No                                                 ?/Dec ’64                              Zombies

Hesitation Blues                                         ?/? ’64                               The Holy Modal Rounders

I Can’t Explain                                          Nov ‘64/Jan ’65                  Who

A Fistful Of Dollars                                  ?/? ’64                                 Ennio Morricone

Crescent                                                 ?/? ’64                             John Coltrane

A Love Supreme                                      Dec '64/? ’65                       John Coltrane

Raga                                                        ? '64/'68                               Seventh Sons

For Your Love                                          ?/Feb ’65                             Yardbirds

Play with Fire                                           Jan/Feb ‘65                         Rolling Stones

Subterranean Homesick Blues                     Jan/April ’65                         Bob Dylan

I Knew I’d Want You                               Jan/April ’65                       Byrds

Ticket To Ride                                            Feb/April ’65                         Beatles

You've Got To Hide Your Love Away           Feb/Aug ’65                        Beatles

Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere                  April/May ’65                     Who

California Girls                                         April/July ’65                      Beach Boys

Here Without You                                     April/July ’65                      Byrds

Heart Full Of Soul                                     ?/June ’65                           Yardbirds

Like A Rolling Stone                                 June/July ’65                       Bob Dylan

Desolation Row                                        June/Aug ’65                       Bob Dylan

See My Friends                                          ?/? ’65                                  Kinks

We Gotta Get Out Of This Place                  ?/July ’65                              Animals

It’s My Life                                                 ?/? ’65                                  Animals

I’m Gonna Change The World                      ?/? ’65                                  Animals

Yesterday                                                  June/Aug ’65                        Beatles

Still I’m Sad                                              ?/Oct ’65                             Yardbirds

It Won’t Be Wrong                                    Sept/Dec ’65                       Byrds

Stranger In A Strange Land                       Sept ‘65/’96                        Byrds

Norwegian Wood                                     Oct/Dec ’65                         Beatles

If I Needed Someone                                Oct/Dec ’65                         Beatles

In My Life                                                Oct/Dec ’65                         Beatles

Nowhere Man                                           Oct/Dec ’65                         Beatles

We Can Work It Out                                    Oct/Dec ’65                         Beatles

My Generation                                          Oct/Nov ’65                        Who

The Good’s Gone                                     ?/Dec ’65                            Who

The Ox                                                      ?/Dec ’65                            Who

The Word                                                  Nov/Dec ’65                       Beatles

Girl                                                            Nov ‘65/Dec ’65                    Beatles

Think For Yourself                                      Nov/Dec ’65                         Beatles

He Was A Friend Of Mine                        Nov/Dec ’65                       Byrds

Pet Sounds                                                Nov ‘65/May ’66                Beach Boys

It’s No Secret                                            Dec ‘65/Sept 66                  Jefferson Airplane

High Flyin’ Bird                                       Dec ‘65/?                            Jefferson Airplane

Seal of the Blue Lotus                                ?/? ’65                             Robbie Basho                     

The Voice of the Turtle                                ?/? ’65 (68?)                        John Fahey

Shapes of Things                                       ‘65/Feb ’66                           Yardbirds

A Few Dollars More                                    ?/? ’65                               Ennio Morricone

A&M sessions                                          ?/? ’65 (’66?)                         Captain Beefheart

Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch,
Herbie Hancock - Empyrean Isles.
Bruce Haack - Dance, Sing and Listen

Skatellites

Gottfried Michael Koenig "PROJECT 1"

Graham Bond

Georgie Fame

Alan Price

Zoot Money

Alan Price

Sun Ra
Dick Hyman
Sandy Bull
Jon Lord's Santa Barbara Machine Head

Friday On My Mind (1966) The Easybeats

Dave Berry and "The crying game"

Twinkle w/ "Terry"

The Beau Brummels Laugh Laugh

1959 Tracey Pendarvis and "Thousand guitars"   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-paz1hfSc0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCzjBZABec4&feature=related

Edited by earlyprog - April 01 2009 at 04:59
Gorgo Ourgon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 09:40
..for Sun Ra check out Angels and Demons at Play (1960)

Edited by Gorgo Ourgon - April 10 2009 at 15:40
Einsetumadur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 09:15
Some other probable additions:

The Moody Blues - From the Bottom of My Heart  (Oct. 64)
The Byrds - Eight Miles High RCA Version (Dec. 65, released 1996)
Manfred Mann - I Can't Get no Satisfaction (unfortunately, Spring 1966)
Manfred Mann - Bare Hugg (Summer 1965)

Edited by Einsetumadur - April 16 2009 at 09:19
All in all each man in all men
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 19:53
Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Raymond Scott yet.

He was a pioneer of electronic music from the 1940s.

His music has had an influence on many musicians including R.E.M., Eno and many electronica artists.

Link:

http://raymondscott.com/timeline.html

love the Ray man 

surely Brian Wilson has been mentioned in this thread, so I won't bother Big smile

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 09:48
Wow - no-one's mentioned Graham Bond's Organisation - earliest use of the Mellotron.

Live at Klooks Kleek (1964), The Sound of 65 and There's A Bond Between us surely qualify?

Can't name particular tracks off hand - I'll have to go back and re-listen, but I was certainly struck when I heard them the first time a few years ago.

Edited by Certif1ed - April 25 2009 at 09:50
The important thing is not to stop questioning.
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2009 at 07:27
Man in a deaf Corner                                                     '63/2001            Soft Machine
Dear Olde Benny Green is A-turning in his Grave   '63/2001            Daevid Allen Trio
Orientasian                                                                      '65/2001            Soft Machine
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2009 at 08:48
Courtesy of Atavachron:

Time Beat b/w Waltz in Orbit     1962        Ray Cathode (Maddalena Fagandini & George Martin)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>