Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedScar Symmetry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scar Symmetry
    Posted: March 10 2009 at 18:43

A very progressive melodic death metal band. I don't know why the band hasn't already been added!

Here's some examples of their music.

Opinions?

the epic...

and the single...

I recommend it for Extreme/Technical Prog Metal section.

-Conor

burritounit View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2009 at 18:48
They've been rejected...wasn't part of the decision somehow...
"I've walked on water, run through fire, can't seem to feel it anymore. It was me, waiting for me..."
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2009 at 22:48
Why were they rejected? They're certainly more prog than some of the stuff that made it onto the site in the first place.
burritounit View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2009 at 23:15
I wasn't part of the team at that moment so I can't really fill you in as to why were they rejected. Perhaps someone else of the team can.
"I've walked on water, run through fire, can't seem to feel it anymore. It was me, waiting for me..."
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2009 at 01:58
I don't find them to be proggy, or good for that matter. I guess they're alright, and maybe I totally missed something when I listened to them, but they didn't seem fitting for the archives at all.
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2009 at 02:05
One of my favorite modern metal bands that I listen to almost daily, so I certainly know their music pretty damn well.
Prog metal?
Nah, not quite.
They have occasional prog moments, but they are true melodic death metal and that's it really.
Okay, fair enough they are more 'proggy' than some of the bands listed in prog metal, but take into account some of the bands that were added the Prog metal genre where done before they was a serious Prog Metal Team to properly evaluate bands.
Unfortunately that is not enough for me to change my mind, I remain firm on my no vote because they simply aren't anywhere near as progressive as the bands the PMT has added in recent times.
The band has 3 no votes, hence the band shall remain rejected.

Edited by HughesJB4 - March 11 2009 at 02:05
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2009 at 22:15
I would add them.

While not 100% progressive, they are so much more progressive-oriented than many bands here in our genre, it's just logical.

Edited by The T - March 11 2009 at 22:16
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 03:12
I've been listening to them more lately.
I'll consider changing my vote, but nothing definite or firm yet.
Teo is right in that the band easily outstrips some of the bands listed in the Prog metal genre for progressiveness, but we also face the problem of us feeling those band didn't even belong in the first place and hence, we would be accused of adding a band simply because it's more progressive than some of the bands here, so it's an extremely tough call.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 11:11
^ Yes it is Harry, yes it is. But for the sake of coherence, sometimes I can't live (well that's an exaggeration) with ther fact that this band isn't here, while Nightwish is.

Anyway, there are a few cases like this of bands that barely make it to prog but who definitely out-prog some bands already in PA. As we go along discovering or discussing them, my idea would be, bring them on, for coherence's sake. Or delete the old ones, which can't be done.

Coherence people, coherence.

(that smiley has no coherence.. I just had to put one..Tongue)
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 12:05
Are you being serious?Confused Scar Symmetry is melodic death metal. Nothing more. Nothing less. Would you add Arc Enemy, In Flames or Soilwork too?Wacko
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 12:06
One wrong donīt make a right? isnīt that a saying in your language?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 14:31
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Are you being serious?Confused Scar Symmetry is melodic death metal. Nothing more. Nothing less. Would you add Arc Enemy, In Flames or Soilwork too?Wacko

My dear UMUR, two things:

one, why would I say something if I'm not serious? Unless I make it evident that I'm joking?

two, no, I wouldn't add any of the other three. They're not the same.

three (ok, one more), that we sometimes agree doesn't mean we will ALWAYS HAVE to agree... You too wanted Decapitated in PA... were you serious? Wink

Edited by The T - March 12 2009 at 14:35
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 14:32

One wrong donīt make a right? isnīt that a saying in your language?

No, it's "two wrongs don't make one right" or something like that.

UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 16:57

About the saying I was refering to the addition of Nightwish.

And yes Iīm dead serious about Decapitated.

And yes I agree that the four mentioned bands are not the same, but they certainly belong to the same family so to speak. In my opinion of course. I donīt expect you to agree with me. Iīm just stating my opinion, to let people know that there are also people who feel that way.
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 03:56
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

My dear UMUR, two things:

one, why would I say something if I'm not serious? Unless I make it evident that I'm joking?

two, no, I wouldn't add any of the other three. They're not the same.

three (ok, one more), that we sometimes agree doesn't mean we will ALWAYS HAVE to agree... You too wanted Decapitated in PA... were you serious? Wink

Hi T

I slept on it and I admit that the being serious statement didnīt come out sounding very respectful. I apologize for that. My enthusiasm overshadowed my reason there for a moment. But my opinion stands. I donīt think there should be a place on PA for melodic death metal ( Iīd add Dark Tranquility before any other band in the genre if there were) like Scar Symmetry. They might be a bit more symphonic in sound than the usual bands in the genre, but who isnīt? It doesnīt necessarely make them progressive. As I said thatīs just an opinion.

In regards to Decapitated I listened to Organic Hallucinosis again last night and I still believe that album should earn them a place here on PA. But theyīve been rejected and I accept that. Iīm of course gonna make references to that album every chance I get as I feel itīs an important album for technical progressive death metal. Personally I think itīs a shame that you donīt agree, but as I said before I accept the decision and I havenīt pushed the subject since ( you mentioned them, not me). I am still pushing SYL thoughBig smileLOL.
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 19:32
SYL?
My guitar teacher taught Devin Townsend =) And I've met/hung out with Gene Hoglan at a local concert. ;)

But back on topic, Yes UMUR, Scar Symmetry and In Flames are in the same family. It's a family called Gothenburg Metal, which is generally defined as 'a subgenre of melodic death metal that makes use of complex harmonies and melodies, and may or may not include the use of keyboard. clean vocals are often used as well as traditional death growls, and melodic, progressive guitar work is not out of the ordinary.'

Listen to 'Holographic Universe' and tell me theres not much progressive about them. They're not a death metal version of mr bungle obviously (and thats probably for the better) in terms of progressiveness but theres a very strong prog rock sound in parts of that record. there are science fiction oriented lyrics (the blurb for symphonic prog marks fantasy/sci-fi based lyrics as a prog element. and there is ALOT of layering. The music of scar symmetry does not work in the comparatively conventional intro-verse-chorus style that In Flames does. That's why they're different.
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2009 at 10:34
Hmmm...I just finished listening to 'Holographic Universe'  again and I still donīt feel Scar Symmetry belong on PA. You mention that the songs donīt follow conventional intro-vers-chorus structures but it sounds like thatīs exactly what they do to my ears? They donīt toy too much with the rythms either. Pretty straight forward stuff. Have you heard 11 Dreams by the Danish band Mercenary? Scar Symmetry reminds me a bit of them. Melodic metal with a light symphonic edge and very few progressive tendencies. I admit that songs like Fear Catalyst and Ghost Protoype II ( Deus Ex Machina) have elements that could ( and I strongly emphasise could) be considered borderline progressive but tendencies shouldnīt be enough to be included in a full prog genre.

My problem with this suggestion is this: Do we really want people who come to the tech/ extreme section of PA to think that Scar Symmetry represents tech/ extreme progressive metal? My opinion is that it would be misleading at best.

They are a solid melodic metal band with added death metal vocals IMO, so this is not a matter of taste and me not liking them or their music. I just feel they would be a bad fit for PA.
 Post Reply Post Reply