Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Dream Theater album coming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 14:34
So far I prefer their early era(90's). And as far as I'm concerned, DT with Rudess is getting heavier and heavier....

I like the cover, surely the best from the Rudess era, and yes it reminds me off the ones of their 90's...

I'll wait for some reviews here, and see...
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 15:50
Am I the only one who thinks Train of Thought has their best cover art?
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 17:19
Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

one of the better points of the album Tongue it is one of their better covers though
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 17:27
As always, will buy it the day it comes out.

And I'm very hopeful.
MrEdifus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 18:05
I will buy this the day it comes out, just like I did with Systematic Chaos. And I'm sure that once again, I will not be disappointed in the least.

There WILL be one more AA track, and my money's on The Shattered Fortress. Those tracks have always been good so far though.

The art looks good too, but I've thought that the art so far has all been great, with the exception of When Dream And Day Unite.

Now I've got TWO prog-metal albums to freak out over while waiting for!

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 19:33

I think it rocks too. A damn mysterious and frightening cover art is always good
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 19:34
Originally posted by MrEdifus MrEdifus wrote:

I will buy this the day it comes out, just like I did with Systematic Chaos. And I'm sure that once again, I will not be disappointed in the least.

There WILL be one more AA track, and my money's on The Shattered Fortress. Those tracks have always been good so far though.

The art looks good too, but I've thought that the art so far has all been great, with the exception of When Dream And Day Unite.

And what's the other one?
MrEdifus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 19:41
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Queensryche - American Soldier. I pre-ordered it the first day that it became available.

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 19:41

Nope, I do as well.
Looking forward to getting this on June 23rd.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 20:07

Queensryche - American Soldier. I pre-ordered it the first day that it became available.

Is it any good?
rpe9p View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 21:38
Out of curiosity, for the people who say they are really excited for this album, did you like their recent albums, have you heard things that make this album sound likely to be a return to form, or are you just really optimistic people?
MrEdifus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 21:42

Is it any good?

I dunno yet. The single was pretty good, but the album isn't out until March 31st. It ships one week before release.

MrEdifus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 21:43
Originally posted by rpe9p rpe9p wrote:

Out of curiosity, for the people who say they are really excited for this album, did you like their recent albums, have you heard things that make this album sound likely to be a return to form, or are you just really optimistic people?

I have not heard an album from Dream Theater that I would consider to be outright bad.
When Dream And Day Unite, Falling Into Infinity, and Train Of Thought are the worst Dream Theater releases to me, but I would still say all three are worthy of three stars.

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 22:25

I have not heard an album from Dream Theater that I would consider to be outright bad.
When Dream And Day Unite, Falling Into Infinity, and Train Of Thought are the worst Dream Theater releases to me, but I would still say all three are worthy of three stars.

IMO, the only average DT album is Falling into Infinity. All others are great. A lot of people talk about how much When Dream And Day Unite sucks, but i actually thinks it is a great album, better than some of the band's recent releases, like Train of Thought and Systematic Chaos.
MrEdifus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 22:51

IMO, the only average DT album is Falling into Infinity. All others are great. A lot of people talk about how much When Dream And Day Unite sucks, but i actually thinks it is a great album, better than some of the band's recent releases, like Train of Thought and Systematic Chaos.

I actually LOVED Systematic Chaos myself, it's a 5-star album to me. If Dream Theater ever had (or needed- yeah, right) a "return to form," that was it.

Diaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2009 at 04:47

Recent albums? Octavarium is five stars, Systematic Chaos is their worst so far, 2 stars. I simply feel it's gonna be good. However, I will might not have money to buy it as soon as possible, because the concert tickets were a bit expensive LOL
yeah
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2009 at 12:48

IMO, the only average DT album is Falling into Infinity. All others are great. A lot of people talk about how much When Dream And Day Unite sucks, but i actually think it is a great album, better than some of the band's recent releases, like Train of Thought and Systematic Chaos.

I actually LOVED Systematic Chaos myself, it's a 5-star album to me. If Dream Theater ever had (or needed- yeah, right) a "return to form," that was it.

You have got to be kidding me. Systematic Chaos isn't nearly as good as Awake, I&W, Scenes or Six Degrees. Good, but far, VERY FAR from perfect. IMO, DT needs to stop touring and stop recording for a wile before hitting the studio once again. I mean, they should do like they did in the past: get in studio with ideas, with some kind of material instead of starting from scratch. More material means more options, more possibilities. That is why Images and Words and Scenes from a Memory are so amazing: they had a f***kload of material to work on.

Edited by CCVP - March 14 2009 at 12:49
MrEdifus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2009 at 12:53

IMO, the only average DT album is Falling into Infinity. All others are great. A lot of people talk about how much When Dream And Day Unite sucks, but i actually think it is a great album, better than some of the band's recent releases, like Train of Thought and Systematic Chaos.

You have got to be kidding me. Systematic Chaos isn't nearly as good as Awake, I&W, Scenes or Six Degrees. Good, but far, VERY FAR from perfect. IMO, DT needs to stop touring and stop recording for a wile before hitting the studio once again. I mean, they should do like they did in the past: get in studio with ideas, with some kind of material instead of starting from scratch. More material means more options, more possibilities. That is why Images and Words and Scenes from a Memory are so amazing: they had a f***kload of material to work on.

No, I'm not kidding you. I rank Systematic Chaos 2nd behind Awake. Excellent songwriting, very tasteful, yet bursting with proficiency, and a dark, heavy mood that is simultaneously very progressive. (Which, incidentally, is about how I'd describe Awake as well.)

Edited by MrEdifus - March 14 2009 at 12:53

CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2009 at 13:00
/\
II

Well, OK then. Everyone has an unique taste after all . . .
MrEdifus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2009 at 13:07

/\
II

Well, OK then. Everyone has an unique taste after all . . .

Lol, I know I'm in quite a minority, it seems. But I genuinely liked it. And I'm confident that the boys of Team Dreater will do another excellent job.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>