Topic ClosedThe Christian Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 92>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 20:49
Originally posted by Textbook Textbook wrote:

Rob: Well actually if you're saying "sometimes god is horrible to people" then a lot of problems disappear. Many religious people refuse to say this, which puzzles me because it makes reality so hard to explain. Saying "sometimes god does things which are (or seem) really awful" is *not* incompatible with belief, but a lot of people act like it is. Where it gets tricky is if you say "well sometimes he's really awful to people BUT he's all-loving" and then you get right back in the quagmire.

I never say God is "all-loving" in the sense that God loves each individual.  The people of the Bible were not individualists.  That understanding is important when trying to read the Bible.

But regarding the God of the Bible, here is Paul, a Hebrew and former Pharisee in the ninth chapter to his letter to the Romans:

6 It is not as though God’s word had failed. For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel. 7 Nor because they are his descendants are they all Abraham’s children. On the contrary, “It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.”[b] 8 In other words, it is not the children by physical descent who are God’s children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham’s offspring. 9 For this was how the promise was stated: “At the appointed time I will return, and Sarah will have a son.”[c]

10 Not only that, but Rebekah’s children were conceived at the same time by our father Isaac. 11 Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad—in order that God’s purpose in election might stand: 12 not by works but by him who calls—she was told, “The older will serve the younger.”[d] 13 Just as it is written: “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”[e]

14 What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! 15 For he says to Moses,

“I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
   and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”[f]

16 It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy. 17 For Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.”[g] 18 Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

19 One of you will say to me: “Then why does God still blame us? For who is able to resist his will?” 20 But who are you, a human being, to talk back to God? “Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’”[h] 21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for special purposes and some for common use?

22 What if God, although choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction? 23 What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory— 24 even us, whom he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles?

Edited by Epignosis - February 29 2012 at 20:50
Textbook View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 20:55
How nice, a real Christian. You meet them so rarely these days. Most have gone for the populist Barney-fied version of god that plays so much better in the press.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 23:50
Back in the day, you used to go to a rock and roll concert on Saturday, then repent for those sins on Sunday. Now, it's all mixed together!

Music and Christianity, seemed relevant to this threadLOL
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 19:11
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I never say God is "all-loving" in the sense that God loves each individual.  The people of the Bible were not individualists.  That understanding is important when trying to read the Bible.

But regarding the God of the Bible, here is Paul, a Hebrew and former Pharisee in the ninth chapter to his letter to the Romans:

6 It is not as though God’s word had failed. For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel. 7 Nor because they are his descendants are they all Abraham’s children. On the contrary, “It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.”[b] 8 In other words, it is not the children by physical descent who are God’s children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham’s offspring. 9 For this was how the promise was stated: “At the appointed time I will return, and Sarah will have a son.”[c]

10 Not only that, but Rebekah’s children were conceived at the same time by our father Isaac. 11 Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad—in order that God’s purpose in election might stand: 12 not by works but by him who calls—she was told, “The older will serve the younger.”[d] 13 Just as it is written: “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”[e]

14 What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! 15 For he says to Moses,

“I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
   and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”[f]

16 It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy. 17 For Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.”[g] 18 Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

19 One of you will say to me: “Then why does God still blame us? For who is able to resist his will?” 20 But who are you, a human being, to talk back to God? “Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’”[h] 21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for special purposes and some for common use?

22 What if God, although choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction? 23 What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory— 24 even us, whom he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles?

Thank you for posting that; Romans 9 seems to be a very unpopular chapter of the Bible that is often ignored, but I find it to be a very comforting passage, because from it I know that I am saved and that my salvation depends not on me, but on God's grace.  Even verse 20: "Who are you, a human being, to talk back to God," I find to be a comfort, because it means that I don't have to worry about whether God is "fair," and that I don't have to know all the answers; I need only to trust in God.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 20:44
Let me give you a better verse, AH- The doxology of Jude:

To him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy- to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.

You are His forever.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 21:49
^And one for you: "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.  And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish, neither shall anyone snatch them out of my hand."
Commonly quoted, but rightly so.  It's beautiful.
pfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 15:25
I haven't read any of the posts so this is going to be irrelevant.

Personally, the best advice I've ever heard: "never let the world get you down." how does this relate to Christianity?
check out my art: http://alexanderbennett33.wixsite.com/portfolio

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2012 at 18:35
Originally posted by pfloyd pfloyd wrote:

Personally, the best advice I've ever heard: "never let the world get you down." how does this relate to Christianity?

The best answer I can give is from Romans 8:

18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. 19 For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope 21 that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. 23 And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. 24 For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.

26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. 27 And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. 28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. 29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

God's Everlasting Love

31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? 33 Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.j]'>[j] 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? 36 As it is written,

“For your sake we are being killed all the day long;
we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”

37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Edited by Ambient Hurricanes - March 04 2012 at 18:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2012 at 18:39
^I don't know how that first part ended up in bold (I can't figure out how to fix it).  31-39 are probably the most pertinant, but the whole thing is great, so don't just read the bold part Smile 
TheJet View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 01:20

Romans 9:1-33

9:1I say truth in Christ, I do not lie, my conscience bearing-witness-together with me in holy spirit .2that there is great sorrow with me and unceasing pain with my heart – .3for I used-to pray (for) I myself to be a cursed-offering away-from Christ – on behalf of the brothers (who are) my family-kinsmen according to flesh, .4the-people-who are Israelites, of-whom (are) the adoption and the glory and the covenant and the legislation and the rendering-of-service and the promise, .5of-whom (are) the fathers and out-from whom the Christ (came) according to flesh – God being upon all (is) blessed into the ages, with-certainty.

I don't understand why Romans 9 was so ignored, it's an important chapter.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 07:19
I say we post the entire epistle to the Romans on this thread Smile
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 12:21
Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

I say we post the entire epistle to the Romans on this thread Smile
While testing copyright law on the original author could prove to be an interesting exercise in futility, real-life honest-to-goodness copyright does exist with the humans who provide translated copies for you to quote from, best not upset them by ripping an entire book of said tome wholesale. Big smile
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2012 at 16:22
^Oh yeah...forgot about that.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 13:37

Originally posted by Ambient Hurricanes Ambient Hurricanes wrote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

What does it actually mean to be made "in the image of God?"

Might mean nothing other than to have the conception of right and wrong.  
That's actually part of it.

I'm not sure I agree.

If this is true, then what is the meaning of eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil?

Please, answer (if you wish to) in the Christian Thread! 
hang on ..... if they didn't know right from wrong then how would they know it was wrong to eat the fruit of the tree? The concept of right and wrong must have been present in man prior to eating the fruit.

You're implying that it was the tree of good and evil (or right and wrong... well not really - the good can be wrong), when it is the tree of knowledge, (of good and evil), as was later explained when they were expelled from Eden - "the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil". Therefore the image of god was simply that - a simulacrum - albeit of an invisible god, so one must assume it would be self-image rather than pictorial image.
What?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 13:45
I see a difference between something being evil and something being forbidden.  They were forbidden from eating the fruit; that doesn't make the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil inherently evil.

Didn't I say in my earlier post that it was the tree of knowledge of good and evil?  Confused
LirazelsOdyssey View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 14:39
< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
Originally posted by pfloyd pfloyd wrote:

This is NOT irrelevant!! This is central to Christian teaching and my favorite passage of the Bible I camp on for this is: 

16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

This concept is what keeps me alive, and I mean literally. I have been through and continue to be pressed by suffering above and beyond what is normal. I have had to focus my eyes and thoughts on an eternal perspective, and I mean literally. If I didn't do this I would be a mess.

Somehow my husband and I have to survive with one minimum wage income, no medical insurance, and me with a chronic illness requiring at least monthly doctor visits and a slew of meds paid all out of pocket. We have medical bills stacking up and just got served papers with a court judgement so it looks like even the minimum wage income is going to be garnished. We simply cannot afford to pay anything over and above from rent, food, utilities. What are we going to do if they garnish this income?? 

But you know, I didn't and don't panic and freak out over this. Why? Because this suffering is nothing new to me for one, and for another, I put my faith and hope into an eternal God who sent me here for a reason. I have a purpose that transcends all of this worldly suffering. God takes care of us and it is as simple as that. I think every Christian knows that intellectually, but we have been forced to live it. 

He has proved himself over and over again in our situation just since last May when I became almost completely disabled: 

-He led me to a doctor who believes she can help me and eventually cure me. She gives me samples of meds, supports me in my disability claims, lets us slide on the bill at times, just does everything to make sure I get the care I need. My main med is being covered by the drug company that makes it. 

-Our landlady knew that I could no longer work and it took my husband a long time to even find a minimum wage job. She gave us a break on rent for three straight months. We didn't ask her, she just did it. 

-Our ramshackle 1989 Honda with over 250,000 miles on it (and our only car) became terminal in the last couple of months. A family at our church just up and GAVE us their extra van and it is nice. 

-A couple in our small group who is struggling themselves got a small windfall of money a few months ago and God just told them to give us 1,000 dollars. We never asked. 

-Another long time friend who helped me in the past to escape from human trafficking helps us out with 100 dollars a month. Why? They say because God wants them too. 

I am just amazed. 

And like I just said, all of this is on top of the fact that we had to flee across the country 6 years ago so I could escape from the human slavery I had been trapped in since early childhood. That's a huge story in itself. 

In trying to escape from that when I was  younger I had three kids at an early age and then had to work my way through school winding up with two bachelor degrees in Nursing and Anthropology. No one paid my way so I wound up 50,000 dollars in dept to the govt. Everything is supposed to be just fine since now I have a career where I can make decent money except WRONG.... I wind up having to flee for my life, a death contract out for my husband, and then wind up collapsing from physical illness. 

So my career is over and I still owe the govt. 50,000. People literally stalking me, exploiting me, and coming onto my property to abuse me and trying to abduct me only stopped happening about 3 years ago. 

That's my story in a nutshell. I know it looks way too crazy to wrap your head around but it is what it is. Why do I tell it? Am I trying to get attention or notoriety? No. 

I tell it because I have to testify that God is bigger than the world. God is bigger than any problem we can ever come across, even if the worst ones have been stacked together on top of one another like they have been with me. 

My sister cried for me the other day and asked me why in the world someone who has seen as much suffering as I have can believe in God. To me, it is absurd NOT to believe in God. God is a fact, just like air is a fact. You can't stop breathing air and in the same way I can't get away from God. I could deny him if I chose, but that would not make him cease to exist. Even if I decided I didn't believe in him, he still believes in me. He will never stop and so neither will I. He is why I continue to live.

I don't consider this world to be a place where I live for me. I come to this world on a kind of mission and it is a temporary one before being taken back to my real home. It is my real home I long for with all my being. Meanwhile I have a job to do and it is to hold to the Hope from the One who has promised me everything if I but overcome. 

I have given an answer and a reason for the hope that I have. I do hope I have done it with gentleness and respect.

Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 1 Peter 3:15

Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. 1 Timothy 6:17

Lirazel

Through forest dreary... Down paths of dread... Through vales of sorrow...
By dusk and dawning...By noon and night...He searches for me...

Ah Lirazel
My Love, he calls
Ah Lirazel
Oh return to me
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 15:28

I see a difference between something being evil and something being forbidden.  They were forbidden from eating the fruit; that doesn't make the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil inherently evil.

Didn't I say in my earlier post that it was the tree of knowledge of good and evil?  Confused
Similarily, I didn't say the fruit was was inherently evil.

If you are forbidden from doing something then there must be a right thing to do (obey) or a wrong thing (disobey) - there is not good or evil in that: not in the thing being forbidden, nor the act of obeying or disobeying. Good =/= right and evil =/= wrong. Therefore the concept of right and wrong must be inherent in man as Brian said since a) they must have known that disobeying was wrong and b) disobeying does not require knowledge of evil. In saying you didn't agree with that and asked what eating of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil meant if that where true, I assumed (yeah, that's where I always go wrong) you meant eating the fruit imparted the concept of right and wrong, with the implication that the fruit also imparted the knoweldge of good and evil and nothing else... rather than the alternative interpretation of the text drawn from the shortened name of the tree (The Tree of Knowledge), in that it imparted all knowledge - the good knowledge and the evil knowledge.

What?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 15:55
Originally posted by LirazelsOdyssey LirazelsOdyssey wrote:

16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

Lirazel

Nice verse.  However by definition you can't fix your eyes on the unseen as you peer out and see nothing.  But as difficult as life can get you must keep up hope.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 16:03
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Similarily, I didn't say the fruit was was inherently evil.

If you are forbidden from doing something then there must be a right thing to do (obey) or a wrong thing (disobey) - there is not good or evil in that: not in the thing being forbidden, nor the act of obeying or disobeying. Good =/= right and evil =/= wrong. Therefore the concept of right and wrong must be inherent in man as Brian said since a) they must have known that disobeying was wrong and b) disobeying does not require knowledge of evil. In saying you didn't agree with that and asked what eating of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil meant if that where true, I assumed (yeah, that's where I always go wrong) you meant eating the fruit imparted the concept of right and wrong, with the implication that the fruit also imparted the knoweldge of good and evil and nothing else... rather than the alternative interpretation of the text drawn from the shortened name of the tree (The Tree of Knowledge), in that it imparted all knowledge - the good knowledge and the evil knowledge.

Not to mince words, but I didn't say I disagreed- I am not sure I agree.  The two places of the Bible where my interpretations either waver or just don't really exist are the beginning and the end.  Discussion renovates or demolishes what I think.  Unfortunately I don't have a tree of knowledge, so I have to rely on the Internet.  Tongue

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2012 at 16:13

Unfortunately I don't have a tree of knowledge, so I have to rely on the Internet.  Tongue

I am the tree of knowledge.  Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies. Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 92>