Topic ClosedThe Christian Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7273747576 92>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2013 at 21:21
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

When I pressed for an answer on the question of "at what point does their right to tax us become "taking our stuff" and who gets to decide where that point is?" I was basically given the answer that all taxes are unjust, period.

I answered your question that I don't see it as less wrong to steal 10% of someone's income than to steal 100%, so I think all taxes are unjust, yes. I would ask you the same question: at what point do you draw the line between fair and excessive taxation? I would like a precise number, please, because policy proposals cannot be generalities such as "a goodly amount."

I don't want to hijack the Christian thread, so please answer in either the political discussion one or the libertarianism one.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2013 at 21:39
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

When I pressed for an answer on the question of "at what point does their right to tax us become "taking our stuff" and who gets to decide where that point is?" I was basically given the answer that all taxes are unjust, period.

I answered your question that I don't see it as less wrong to steal 10% of someone's income than to steal 100%, so I think all taxes are unjust, yes. I would ask you the same question: at what point do you draw the line between fair and excessive taxation? I would like a precise number, please, because policy proposals cannot be generalities such as "a goodly amount."

I don't want to hijack the Christian thread, so please answer in either the political discussion one or the libertarianism one.

As its creator, you have my permission to hijack it.  It isn't being used for much else.

But I appreciate your consideration.

Edited by Epignosis - January 25 2013 at 21:39
Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 00:34
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Where does he mention paying taxes? Remember a few things at the time,

(1) There was not a uniform currency being used at the time in the region. (evident from other passages if you want to keep biblical. There are money changers outside the temple before Jesus goes Rambo on them I believe)

(2) The denarius is a particular currency which was quite literally property of Caesar and issued to soldiers and high officials.

(3) The Romans were an occupying force.

(4) The Caesars viewed themselves as gods and had their images emblazoned on the denarius.

When asked the question, Jesus is in a place where answering either in the affirmative or negative will have pulled him into a trap. He responds with a very poignant question to ascertain exactly which form of currency. After being shown the currency, with the image of the caesar, a image that Jesus would know and above which caesar would be written, he proceeds to ask the obvious question as to the image. His final advice chastises caesar and those who would give faith to an authority other than God.
Actually, you do make a good point about Caesar's face being on the coin, and the fact that Jesus' doesn't pull one of these coins out of his own pocket is a subtle detail Christians often miss.  However, let's look at another passage and interpret scripture with scripture:
Romans 13:1-7
Everyone must submit to governing authorities. For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God. So anyone who rebels against authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and they will be punished. For the authorities do not strike fear in people who are doing right, but in those who are doing wrong. Would you like to live without fear of the authorities? Do what is right, and they will honor you. The authorities are God’s servants, sent for your good. But if you are doing wrong, of course you should be afraid, for they have the power to punish you. They are God’s servants, sent for the very purpose of punishing those who do what is wrong. So you must submit to them, not only to avoid punishment, but also to keep a clear conscience.
Pay your taxes, too, for these same reasons. For government workers need to be paid. They are serving God in what they do. Give to everyone what you owe them: Pay your taxes and government fees to those who collect them, and give respect and honor to those who are in authority.

Also, remember that the writer of these verses, Paul, was later on executed by the Roman government.  He didn't obey laws that went against his religious views, but believed in paying taxes....

Who among us is advocating rebellion against the government or advising people to not pay their taxes?

We libertarians advocate a change in the law, not a breaking of the law, so I'm not sure how Romans 13 is relevant. 
Who is the ultimate authority in America?  Is it not "We the People?"

Sure, but you yourself are always railing against how unjust taxes are.  You have to see how this whole conversation started, here:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=85372&PN=114

Our income tax is only 100 years old.  That means we've done other things before that.  And before that, what did the settlers do?  We are suggesting that there are other ways to run a government than through coercion and taxation.

In Romans, Paul was speaking primarily to gentiles who didn't want the Roman Jews back after they'd been temporarily sent packing.  Paul's purpose, I think, was not just randomly saying, "Oh hey, guys, btw, everybody's gotta obey the law, k?"  It wasn't some kind of afterthought. 
I believe Paul was reminding the Jewish Christians in Rome that, rather than be bitter toward Nero, they change their focus from civil distaste and set an example.  If they could not show themselves to be trustworthy people in Rome, then how could the Roman citizenry- who respected their establishments- trust their Christian testimony?

Pat: thanks; I knew about the whole idolatry business with Caesar's image on the coin but had never heard someone argue that Jesus wasn't commanding us to pay taxes; I personally think there's a broader application to taxes in the passage but I can't prove it, so I'll let it be.

Rob: I have no problems with your exegesis, but I don't see how it's any different from the situation Christians are in today.  We also want to commend ourselves to others and set an example by obeying the law in order to give good Christian witness.  The situation is a bit different, but essentially, in my opinion, it's the same idea. 

I don't know that someone could make argument from this passage that taxes are not unjust, though; Paul is telling Christians to obey the government in a time when that government is definitely not acting justly, so unless you want to say that everything authorities do is just (which would be ridiculous) I think I would consider the idea that taxation is unjust to be consistent with this passage.
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 04:58

Jesus and Paul are both saying the same thing: "When in Rome do as the Romans do" [that particular idiom is credited to later christians who are essentially paraphrasing "Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s"]. When the Romans occupied a country they replaced the local currency with their own - the denarius became the "legal tender" of all the Roman occupied countries. So he is saying you use Roman currency then pay Roman taxes. When John the baptist was asked by a repentant tax collector what he should do he is told "Don’t collect any more than you are required to.". So John is telling the Publican to continue collecting Roman taxes and Jesus is telling the people to continue paying them.

Earlier on the subject of Temple Tax Jesus asked Peter the semi-rhetorical question : "From whom do the kings of the earth take customs or taxes, from their sons or from strangers?” ...  this is the same train of thought as "Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s" - as the children of the kingdom of god they are exempt from Temple Tax, however, he then says to save causing offence they should pay the tax. In the Cleansing of the Temple Jesus is angered by the money changers and dove sellers (and hence the priests) making profit in the house of worship, not by the temple tax itself.

After his arrest the priest and elders bear false withness against him, specifically they accuse him of forbidding the payment of taxes to Caesar, Pilate finds him not guilty of the charges.

Edited by Dean - January 26 2013 at 05:00
What?
Jonathan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 06:30
How do you guys feel about Baptists? I feel they are too loud most of the time and too judgemental.
That's why I'm a Quaker, We aren't loud at all.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 06:58
Originally posted by Jonathan Jonathan wrote:

How do you guys feel about Baptists? I feel they are too loud most of the time and too judgemental.

I've grown up Baptist.  We attend a Baptist-affiliated church.  We are loud in our music and judgmental regarding paint colors.

Anyway, Baptists are like most any sub group.  I could generalize about Catholics based on several I've met and say they are all rude and insincere, but that would not be true.  Regarding the stereotype of Baptists, I'd say it's largely a generational thing.  Many older Baptists grew up in a time when racism was acceptable, and they most likely had pro-Prohibition parents.  I actually rather pity such folks.

Edited by Epignosis - January 26 2013 at 06:58
Jonathan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 07:07
I used to be an Independent Baptist but I just now don't see the need for Sacraments so I became a Quaker.
I attend a Friends Meeting which does have a Preacher but we sometimes have a couple minutes of Silent Worship.
I do respect the beliefs of Baptists but I'm just not into loudness. But I known there are some Baptist Preacher that aren't loud, I was talking about the ones I've met. Not all of them.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 07:21

I used to be an Independent Baptist but I just now don't see the need for Sacraments so I became a Quaker.
I attend a Friends Meeting which does have a Preacher but we sometimes have a couple minutes of Silent Worship.
I do respect the beliefs of Baptists but I'm just not into loudness. But I known there are some Baptist Preacher that aren't loud, I was talking about the ones I've met. Not all of them.

I've attended many Baptist churches around the US South, and only one of them had a preacher who hollered.  Many of the Baptist preachers I've known are monotone.  Sleepy LOL
Jonathan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 07:24

I've attended many Baptist churches around the US South, and only one of them had a preacher who hollered.  Many of the Baptist preachers I've known are monotone.  Sleepy LOL
What's does monotone mean?
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 07:50

What's does monotone mean?

A voice that doesn't change pitch much.
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 07:55
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

You're going to hate this answer, but as a Christian I think the issue of "how much taxes are too much" is one that is outside my concern, really.  If I'm focusing too much on that question, which I have no control over, than the only result can be anger and strife.  As a Christian, I think this distracts from the message of Jesus.

On the political side, it all depends on what the government is doing with that money.  If they are going to tax us more than now, like say...50%...I might be ok with that if that meant that they were going to pay for more things, like, say college tuition for all.  I'd actually prefer the government taking more through taxes than being a slave to Sallie Mae for the next 20 years and worrying about whether I'll be able to afford to help my kids avoid that mess.....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 07:58

I think one of the major problems with the church in general is that we've instituted such divides.  We sit from behind our stained glass windows and point in judgement at the world and at other denominations.  I think it would rather be a much more profound statement of the kind of love Jesus exemplified for us if churches from multiple denominations reached out in friendship towards each other and tried to learn from each other.  I've often played around with the idea of taking time away from our current church to go on a sort of pilgrimage by visiting a different church every week for a while, just so see what I could learn from the experience.  I haven't done it simply because I really love the church I'm in now, and have some responsibility there right now.  But it's an idea I may, one day, try.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 07:58

On the political side, it all depends on what the government is doing with that money.  If they are going to tax us more than now, like say...50%...I might be ok with that if that meant that they were going to pay for more things, like, say college tuition for all.  I'd actually prefer the government taking more through taxes than being a slave to Sallie Mae for the next 20 years and worrying about whether I'll be able to afford to help my kids avoid that mess.....

A slave to Sallie Mar for 20 years or a slave to the federal government for life?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 08:00

I think one of the major problems with the church in general is that we've instituted such divides.  We sit from behind our stained glass windows and point in judgement at the world and at other denominations.  I think it would rather be a much more profound statement of the kind of love Jesus exemplified for us if churches from multiple denominations reached out in friendship towards each other and tried to learn from each other.  I've often played around with the idea of taking time away from our current church to go on a sort of pilgrimage by visiting a different church every week for a while, just so see what I could learn from the experience.  I haven't done it simply because I really love the church I'm in now, and have some responsibility there right now.  But it's an idea I may, one day, try.

Shoot, I forgot - I really wanted to add to this: the whole idea of fighting about which denomination is better than the other often reminds me of the "I follow Paul"/"I follow Apollos" passage.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 08:00

A slave to Sallie Mar for 20 years or a slave to the federal government for life?

You're not dropping the other shoe - the fear that I may not be able to help my kids get into/through college....
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 08:07

I've often played around with the idea of taking time away from our current church to go on a sort of pilgrimage by visiting a different church every week for a while, just so see what I could learn from the experience.  I haven't done it simply because I really love the church I'm in now, and have some responsibility there right now.  But it's an idea I may, one day, try.
I did this - it was enjolyable and enlightning (I am not a christian now, but I was for many years) - all the churches and congregations I visited were welcoming and inviting, none of them tried to convert me to their particular church, of course I could not take communion in a catholic church, but I was not shunned because I couldn't, I could still pray and sing and listen to the sermon. Meeting different people and seeing how they worshipped showed me the commonality and the differences between them, and on balance the commonality out-weighed the differences in most cases.
What?
Jonathan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 08:10
Who is Apollos?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 08:15

Who is Apollos?

I Cor. 3:3-9
You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere men? For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not mere men?  What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe—as the Lord has assigned to each his task. I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, God’s building.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 08:21

Who is Apollos?
Saint Apollos was an early christian apostle, a contempory of Paul.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 08:22
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I've often played around with the idea of taking time away from our current church to go on a sort of pilgrimage by visiting a different church every week for a while, just so see what I could learn from the experience.  I haven't done it simply because I really love the church I'm in now, and have some responsibility there right now.  But it's an idea I may, one day, try.
I did this - it was enjolyable and enlightning (I am not a christian now, but I was for many years) - all the churches and congregations I visited were welcoming and inviting, none of them tried to convert me to their particular church, of course I could not take communion in a catholic church, but I was not shunned because I couldn't, I could still pray and sing and listen to the sermon. Meeting different people and seeing how they worshipped showed me the commonality and the differences between them, and on balance the commonality out-weighed the differences in most cases.

That's what I'm getting at, too.  I recently had a conversation with a Buddhist about his beliefs, and rather than telling him what I thought was wrong about his beliefs, I tried to take a humble approach and see if I could learn something from him about my own beliefs.  When I did this, I found some really interesting ideas that weren't out of tune with my own.  For example, their word for faith implies a denying of one's own ego - in this idea you cannot achieve faith if you are trusting in your own ego.  I thought this was very interesting, since the Christian faith has a very similar idea when you examine the teachings on humility.  I found this to be a very enriching experience to have this conversation with my friend, rather than feeling like it threatened my own faith.

Another example - a while back I remember visiting a church a good friend of mine was attending at the time.  It was a black baptist church, and we were the only white people there.  I'll never forget how we were basically mobbed by friendly, welcoming people.  I have never felt so welcomed in a new place, and I felt like "man, they put most white Christians I know to shame!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7273747576 92>