Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 11:56
Originally posted by Alberto Muņoz Alberto Muņoz wrote:

Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski Petrovsk Mizinski wrote:

Originally posted by Visitor13 Visitor13 wrote:

Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

I love these stories about Hendrix playing out of tune as if he was some hack who just messed about, got some interesting sounds and was very lucky. The guy earned a living as a session musician for many years and was certainly in demand in the mid 60's. If he couldnt really play then he wouldnt have lasted 5 minutes! Then there's the stories about all the top guitarists standing open-mouthed in awe when they saw him in concert, including Eric Clapton, they would hardly give props to someone who played out of tune.

Hendrix was the Picasso of the electric guitar and his style transcended blues or pop or even psychedelia. He is unique and if he'd survived I'm damn sure he'd have been a giant of the jazz-fusion scene, as some have mentioned.

Gilmour?  Wonderful guitarist and the right man for Pink Floyd when they needed to move to the next level, but better than Hendrix? He'd be the first to laugh at this I reckon.

Yes, exactly. And that whole 'good' vs 'bad' technique argument is moot anyway. If you play good music, you have good technique, simple as that. It's like when Certified says Gentle Giant were much better technicians than Dream Theater, I completely agree with him.

FWIW, Hendrix was one of the first, if not the first guitarist to wow Miles Davis. They never got a chance to record together due to Hendrix's death, but Davis went on to include the guitar as a permanent feature in his bands since then. 

I'm yet to hear any musician of Davis's stature lavish praise on Gilmour.  

"If you play good music, you have good technique, simple as that"

That is ridiculous, sorry.
I think the Clash made good music, but good technique they did not have.
I love the old Metallica records, yet Kirk Hammett is one of the sloppiest guitarists of any guitarist who came from the 80s thrash metal scene.
My sister likes the Sex Pistols, to her it's good music, but the fact is they couldn't play for sh*t.

"If you play bad music, you have a bad tecnique, simple as that"
"If you play good music, you have a bad technique, simple as that"
"If you play bad music, you have a good technique, simple as that"

Well the prisoner's dillema applies to this and also the whole sentences are a fallacy

I'd like to read that quote from Miles. He played with McLaughlin who is no slouch in his own right.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 11:59
^ One qoute? Miles went on about Jimi often.

Edited by Easy Money - April 13 2009 at 12:00
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 13:17
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

From what I have seen so far it appears Miles influenced Jimi as well so will we have another thread on Miles > David Gilmour? Tongue
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 13:18
Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

Miles > David Gilmour? Tongue

Oh yes.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 13:36
I am afraid that far too many people here (and elsewhere) mistake their opinions (or personal tastes) for fact... Though Gilmour is undoubtedly very good at what he does, Hendrix influenced whole generations of guitarists. Without him, there would be no Heavy Prog subgenre, for instance.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 13:54
and he influenced them by being one HELL of a great guitarist...  sorry... those great guitarists of that age (and later) didn't worship him because of the reported size of his equipment. LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 17:44
I like both, but Hendrix is my favorite.  He was incredible and had so much potential that we'll never hear now.  I feel his playing surpassed the sound spectrum.  It was and still is magical.  
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 05:54

Not Miles quotes directly, this is from my Complete in a Silent Way Sessions booklet:

About the tracks Mademoiselle Mabry and Frelon Brun. Originally on Filles de Kilimanjaro (1968):

... Ms. Mabry further educated Mils about artists like Sly and the Family Sone and Jimi Hendrix...

... This tribute to Betty also pays homage to "The Wind Cries Mary" ...

...Mademoiselle Mabry an Frelon Brun are watershed tracks. They exemplify the assimilation and inspiration of Jimi Hendrix and James Brown in that the rhytmic emphasis emphasis has shifted from a traditional jazz feel to that of rock and soul...

(Miles was together and deep in love with the younger soulsinger Betty Mabry during this period)

Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 15:28
I know of one guitarist Miles enjoyed pre-Hendrix:  Charlie Christian.  Of course Christian played like a horn player since those were the people he listened to.  So that seems only natural.  
progvortex View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 19:07
I choose Gilmour. From a technical standpoint, Hendrix is probably the winner, but I will base my opinion off of something more important: which guitarist is more engaging. Gilmour's versatility is what really makes Floyd's music compelling. His playing can be straightforward and aggressive, reminiscent of great blues players like BB King (for example, Money) but it can also be mellow and behind the beat, more in the direction of guitarists like Jimmy Page on No Quarter (for example, Shine On You Crazy Diamond). Hendrix's playing was always just good old-fashioned rock and roll. It appeals to my gut, but never to my emotions. He lacked the elegance and the versatility that make Pink Floyd a better band, in my opinion, than The Experience. 
Life is like a beanstalk... isn't it?
jimidom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2009 at 16:04
Hmmm.... Both are phenomenal musicians. From a guitar standpoint, Gilmour is one of the elite guitarists of all-time, but Hendrix is a arguably in a league of his own.

What I love about Gilmour is the total control he commands over his musical palette and his ability to effortlessly communicate passion and raw emotion with but a few notes and  select tones and sounds. As a listener you can really feel the blues of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" and "Comfortably Numb" and the raw power he conveys on "In the Flesh". Add to that the delicate moments in songs like "Fat Old Sun", "Wish You Were Here", and Gilmour is in rare company indeed.

However, whereas Gilmour communicated passion and raw emotion, Hendrix performed visceral exorcisms. I remember hearing Lenny Kravitz speak in interview of how he often needed to take a nap after listening to "Machine Gun", and I can totally relate. When you hear Hendrix hit some of the notes he hit on the live version from the Fillmoore East performance on New Year's Eve '69, you'll know what I'm talking about. It's as if Hendrix managed to collect and bottle up all of the strife of the Vietnam War and the Civil Rights movement, and he just let it all pour out in a stream of sonic tears. I heard Miles Davis himself loved "Machine Gun" as well. Furthermore, Hendrix had his own delicate moments like "Castles Made of Sand" and the acoustic version of  "Hear My Train a Comin'"
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - HST

Malve87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2010 at 16:56
Oh well....not very clear comparison....but If Gilmour is surely one of the greatest guitar player on the world, it's also true that Hendrix was probably the most influential of all times.

There's no better one in the end....not to me...it would be like comparing two great writers...is it better Poe or Baudelaire?
No point in doing that...

Edited by Malve87 - January 02 2010 at 16:57
]
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2010 at 23:35

How is this still in question?

Technical skill as a guitarist:  Hendrix > Gilmour
Sloppiness aside (which is questionable, anyway), where's the argument?  Does anyone think Gilmour could've played that solo on Come On

Innovator in terms of introducing new musical vocabulary to rock:  Hendrix > Gilmour
I've mentioned this before, there are articles in the guitar mags that parse the "Hendrix" chords, which had in fact not been heard before in rock.  Haven't seen those articles w/r/t Gilmour.

Innovator in terms of introducing new sonic vocabulary to rock:  Hendrix > Gilmour
Close one here, but Hendrix was there first.

Studio wizardy:  Hendrix = Gilmour, but Hendrix got there first
I said it already.

Songwriter:  Hendrix = Gilmour
Admittedly, subjective.

Interpreter of others' music:  Hendrix > Gilmour
This I suppose can get interesting, if others' music = Roger Waters, but regardless of the slant Hendrix wins.

I simply don't understand how Hendrix can possibly come up short in these sorts of comparisons. 

Edited by jammun - January 02 2010 at 23:36
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2010 at 01:05
Sorry, but you'd have to be deaf not to be able to hear the sloppiness in something like this.
Lots of out of tune bends, terrible muting technique at various points and plenty of notes that are entirely wrong altogether.
That is basically the definition of sloppy guitar playing bro, it's not under question, he WAS a sloppy guitarist in the live environment.

And this was hardly the only terrible performance by Jimi either.

And anyway, if it bothered you that much jammun, you could have just ignored the fact that someone bumped my thread basically almost 9 months later to repeat things everyone else said

Malve,  you say "No point in doing this" yet you unnecessarily bump my thread from the dead to restate the opinions of everything else that was already said and bring nothing new to the thread. It is cases that like that people are better off just leaving the thread alone rather than bumping it for the sake of seeing their name in a  thread.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2010 at 01:21
Sorry, I just saw the thread bumped.  I found that worthy of a response.  I do not think it necessary to post, nor comment, with regard to ANY musician at Woodstock.  It doesn't matter if it's Hendrix or Sly or Santana or Joe Cocker or please lord forgive them Ten Years After.  I'd say none were exactly at the top of their game during those 3 days.  Lawdy Miss Clawdy, my name is probably associated with many a suspect thread. 

No harm meant, and none taken. 
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2010 at 06:44

Sorry, but you'd have to be deaf not to be able to hear the sloppiness
in something like this.
Lots of out of tune bends, terrible muting technique at various points
and plenty of notes that are entirely wrong altogether.
That is basically the definition of sloppy guitar playing bro, it's not
under question, he WAS a sloppy guitarist in the live environment.

And this was hardly the only terrible performance by Jimi either.

And anyway, if it bothered you that much jammun, you could have just
ignored the fact that someone bumped my thread basically almost 9 months later to repeat things everyone else saidMalve,  you say "No point in doing this" yet you unnecessarily bump my thread from the dead to restate the opinions of everything else that was already said and bring nothing new to the thread. It is cases that like that people are better off just leaving the thread alone rather than bumping it for the sake of seeing their name in a  thread.

A lot of us find that post-80s 'perfect technique' style of guitar playing to be kind of BORING I'll take Hendrix over a zillion Satriani wannabes any day of the week. The slop is there because he is trying to play things he's never rehearsed, I like it when a soloist tries to take chances.
Although if you are talking Woodstock, the slop is probably there because he hasn't bathed, slept or had a proper meal in days. Hendrix was the last one to perform at Woodstock, I doubt he was 'fresh as a daisy' at this point.

Edited by Easy Money - January 03 2010 at 06:50
snobb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2010 at 07:17
Initial poll Hendrix/Gilmour is a bit not correct in it's idea. I like Pink Floyd very much, and I like just some Hendrix works, but anyone can confirm, than to compare Hendrix (as guitarist ) with Gilmour (as guitarist) is a kind of joke.

Hendrix, with all his pros and cons, was great guitar innovator of it's era. Gilmolur was (and is) very average ( or let say - average and slow) blues-rock guitarist. Yes, his participating was important when Pink Floyd invented their great sound, but as guitarist, or even more - as solo guitarist he is far down from Hendrix, no comparance at all ( just listen Gilmour solo albums, any of them).
Malve87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2010 at 17:26

Malve,  you say "No point in doing this" yet you unnecessarily bump my thread from the dead to restate the opinions of everything else that was already said and bring nothing new to the thread. It is cases that like that people are better off just leaving the thread alone rather than bumping it for the sake of seeing their name in a  thread.

Well I live in a free world, and in a free world I can say whatever I want, even answering to this useless thread.

regards.
]
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2010 at 17:28
I like Gilmour more. And that is why I like Gimour more. Smile

Just my opinion, but really, I prefer Latimer.
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2010 at 02:43

The slop is there because he is trying to play things he's never rehearsed, I like it when a soloist tries to take chances.

I don't buy that and neither would many other guitarists either.
There are plenty of great guitarists who have improvised things unrehearsed and haven't sounded like sloppy garbage in the process.
Wes Montgomery, Allan Holdsworth and Guthrie Govan, while very different playing styles, all successfully improvise with great technique and all VERY daring soloists, far more out there with their note vocabulary than Jimi was ever capable
Technique is hardly to do with speed anyway and more to do with actual accuracy. Plenty of guys could play faster than say David Gilmour and Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth, but a lot of guys lack the ability to bend notes in tune and do perfectly in tune vibrato with a consistent speed like they can.
Gilmour firmly falls into the camp of "perfect technique" whether you like it or not, not because he plays fast, but because he is clean and accurate.
And those singing bends and vibrato of Joe Satriani, Gilmour, Akerfeldt and Guthrie Govan keep me coming back for more on a much more consistent basis than Jimi's frequent outings.
Look, I like Jimi and he had some great studio performances, but some of his live performances are so bad I cannot sit them at all.
I don't have that problem with any of the other aforementioned players.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>