Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSix degrees of Inner Turbulence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 22:59
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

This is the Prog Archives Forum, not the Dream Theater forum, 90% people here don't like Dream Theater, why should we have to accept 6 threads (and a couple more in other sections) of a band most people here don't like.

Really?  I understood that the reason that most people register in this fourm is because Dream Theater is in the Archives.  They are prog, no doubt, but they attract ELP haters like maggots to a murder victim.  I don't know why. 

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 23:22

Quote Really?  I understood that the reason that most people register in this fourm is because Dream Theater is in the Archives.  They are prog, no doubt, but they attract ELP haters like maggots to a murder victim.  I don't know why.  

Most people here is for Prog Rock and not for Prog Metal, check the polls.

Prog Polls
 Progressive Rock Forum : Prog Polls
Subject Topic: The Greatest ever Post ReplyPost New TopicCreate New Poll
< name=frmPoll =poll_cast_vote.asp method=post>
Poll Question: Is Dream Theater on the way to becoming the greatest prog band ever?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
27 [15.88%]
143 [84.12%]

Amazing no? 84.12 members of this forum don't like Dream Theater or at least don't consider them a great band.

Lets see an ELP poll

Poll Question: your feelings towards ELP?
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.67%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [20.00%]
3 [10.00%]
6 [20.00%]
8 [26.67%]
4 [13.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.33%]

What a difference, 76,67% of the voters in Prog Archives believe ELP are Good, very good, reccomend them or strongly reccomend them against 13.33% who believe they are not essential and 3.33% who believe they are the worst band ever.

Have you ever read the threads and seen how many people dislikes DT here?

By the way, only a few names defend them, the vast majority dislikes them.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2005 at 23:51
Turning the DT threads into pointless fights like this one isn't helping anything, Ivan.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2005 at 02:19

Useful Idiot said:

Quote Turning the DT threads into pointless fights like this one isn't helping anything, Ivan.

It´s not a fight Bryan, it's just an opinion, but some people believe that what they like are dogmas that we all must accept.

When there were many threads about ELP, evrybody protested and there was a thread about it named ELP OVERLOAD which is still in the Abuse section and Cygnus X-2 said:

Quote I'd have to say in recent days/weeks, this site has been getting overloaded with ELP threads, mainly because of KE9... who should know when to stop.

And the difference is that all members here accept ELP is a progressive Rock band, KE9 was blamed with some reason but he was talking about a 100% Prog band. But even he accepted that there are other great bands and albums.

Yesterday I felt worst when I saw in the first Prog Lounge page SEVEN (7) threads about Dream Theater.

Isn't this worst overload than in the ELP Case? Aren't most of the members tired of Dream Theater? Isn't there a six pages thread about hate against Dream Theater.

Like it or not, most progheads including myself don't accept that Dream Theater is Prog' band, and this overload is a form of abuse.

I'm a Genesis fan, many are Yes fans other's Jethro Tull fans and you never see such number of threads about those bands in the main page. Not even the ELP overload was as big and abusive as this one, because all you read is how great is Dream Theater, that they are the best prog' band ever, that we must accept that this is where Prog' is going to.

It's time to stop this, we come here to talk about PROGRESSIVE ROCK, not exclusively about one band that most members don't like, if this follows soon there will be no room for other threads and many long time members will leave.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

Syntharachnid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 22:25

I read the polls Ivan.  Phew!  That's a relief! 

Just to clarify, I don't dislike Dream Theater, but I don't love them either.  I just think that too many people who love metal, and don't discriminate about what kind they listen to (ie they listen to metal that is not progressive) like them and post about them on these fourms.  These people unfailingly seem to be those who have no respect for the real prog rock bands (ie Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, ELP, Supertramp, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, The Moody Blues etc) or the sources of inspiration for these bands (ie Mussorgsky, Katchaturian, Prokofiev, Chopin, Liszt, Beethtoven, Rachmaninov, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Galespie et al).  That's what really annoys me.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2005 at 15:58

These fights prove that there's something special about Dream Theater records ... they polarize. It's the same as with Floyd/The Wall ... now is that album good or bad? Well, it is both, if you ask me. Objectively, it's a masterpiece ... must be. Every constructive (not entirely emotive, that is) review proves it. The same principle applies to the second CD of SDoIT, although it's "masterpiece rank" is not nearly as profound as Floyd/The Wall, that's obvious.

@Syntharachnid: I think that your theory about non-prog metal fans coming here and posting 5 star DT reviews is just not true. I know quite some non-prog metal fans, and they all dislike DT. Maybe it has something to do with how old you are, and thus which bands you grow up with. I don't like Yes and Genesis, but I consider myself a real prog fan. I love King Crimson, from ItCotCK to TPtB, if you will. What I'm trying to say: There is no selection of prog artists you can define and say: anyone who doesn't like that is no prog fan. At the same time, it is not possible to list some artists and say: If you call that prog, you know nothing about prog music.

Maybe one day we can throw prog / avantgarde together and just all celebrate "Music for open minds"!

Syntharachnid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2005 at 16:14
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

These fights prove that there's something special about Dream Theater records ... they polarize. It's the same as with Floyd/The Wall ... now is that album good or bad? Well, it is both, if you ask me. Objectively, it's a masterpiece ... must be. Every constructive (not entirely emotive, that is) review proves it. The same principle applies to the second CD of SDoIT, although it's "masterpiece rank" is not nearly as profound as Floyd/The Wall, that's obvious.

@Syntharachnid: I think that your theory about non-prog metal fans coming here and posting 5 star DT reviews is just not true. I know quite some non-prog metal fans, and they all dislike DT. Maybe it has something to do with how old you are, and thus which bands you grow up with. I don't like Yes and Genesis, but I consider myself a real prog fan. I love King Crimson, from ItCotCK to TPtB, if you will. What I'm trying to say: There is no selection of prog artists you can define and say: anyone who doesn't like that is no prog fan. At the same time, it is not possible to list some artists and say: If you call that prog, you know nothing about prog music.

Maybe one day we can throw prog / avantgarde together and just all celebrate "Music for open minds"!

Sorry if I've upset somebody.  In fact, however, I'm very lenient about what's prog.  There isn't much rock music that I will just throw away into a pile labelled "non-prog crap".  I was just listening to Tommy, and noting the progressive tendencies on the album.

Oh yeah, and I love your idea about throwing all artistic music together under one category of "open minded music".  I'm a firm believer in the fact that there are two types of music: that which is truly artistic and that which isn't.

Third thing, it seems to me that I have unintentionally made at least two people mad during the course of this thread, so I'm going to leave now.

Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2005 at 05:31
Originally posted by Syntharachnid Syntharachnid wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Sorry if I've upset somebody.  In fact, however, I'm very lenient about what's prog.  There isn't much rock music that I will just throw away into a pile labelled "non-prog crap".  I was just listening to Tommy, and noting the progressive tendencies on the album.

Oh yeah, and I love your idea about throwing all artistic music together under one category of "open minded music".  I'm a firm believer in the fact that there are two types of music: that which is truly artistic and that which isn't.

Third thing, it seems to me that I have unintentionally made at least two people mad during the course of this thread, so I'm going to leave now.

To get off topic here: you're making a very strict value judgement in the second paragraph and I'm not sure  how it's to be understood in the light of the first one. But what's first and formost, how can you defend a view based on such a strict value judgement?

It's really not about DT; the people here on BOTH sides are taking it much too emotionally and alternating interesting arguments with bad arguments and simple insults. I really want to avoid that.    

"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2005 at 06:05
Poll Question: Is Dream Theater on the way to becoming the greatest prog band ever?
27 [15.88%]
143 [84.12%]

Amazing no? 84.12 members of this forum don't like Dream Theater or at least don't consider them a great band.

The conclusions you come to based on this poll are wrong Ivan.

It obviously means that 84.12 % of us dont think that DT will be the Best Prog band ever! Not that they dont like them! I voted no myself for example, but I absolutely love DT, I cant wait for the next album(well I can , I have to anyway) I just dont think theyll be the greatest Prog band ever!!!!

Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2005 at 06:35
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

27 [15.88%]
143 [84.12%]

It obviously means that 84.12 % of us dont think that DT will be the Best Prog band ever! Not that they dont like them! I voted no myself for example, but I absolutely love DT, I cant wait for the next album(well I can , I have to anyway) I just dont think theyll be the greatest Prog band ever!!!!

My sentiments exactly.

"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2005 at 19:14
Originally posted by Manunkind Manunkind wrote:

27 [15.88%]
143 [84.12%]

My sentiments exactly.

Read the posts written in that thread, those are the voters.

For example. read the posts on that thread by: Popesta, Bluetailfly, Dreamer, Certified, Easy Living, Tuxon, Radioactive toy, Shatterwolf, Peter, Danbo, Man with Hat, Reed Lover, Richardh, Lunarscape, Chorus of One, Fuzzy Dude, Jim Garten, Joren, Bumheed7, NetsNJFan, Miaugion, Crimson Prince and Synthguy only in the two first pages out of seven in that thread.

23 members opinions against DT in different degrees just in two out of seven pages.

Iván

Edited by ivan_2068

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2005 at 19:24

No I dont think Ill read all that thread again! Going on ther poll though doesnt prove your point!

Maybe you would like to start a who loves who hates DT poll. You could make your pioint then......coluld include a "they're ok" option too

King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2005 at 18:21
I actually voted against Dream Theater in that poll *shock shock shock*.
Manunkind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 15:09
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Originally posted by Manunkind Manunkind wrote:

27 [15.88%]
143 [84.12%]

My sentiments exactly.

Read the posts written in that thread, those are the voters.

For example. read the posts on that thread by: Popesta, Bluetailfly, Dreamer, Certified, Easy Living, Tuxon, Radioactive toy, Shatterwolf, Peter, Danbo, Man with Hat, Reed Lover, Richardh, Lunarscape, Chorus of One, Fuzzy Dude, Jim Garten, Joren, Bumheed7, NetsNJFan, Miaugion, Crimson Prince and Synthguy only in the two first pages out of seven in that thread.

23 members opinions against DT in different degrees just in two out of seven pages.

Iván

more like 21, Easy Livin and Bluetailfly appreciate DT

This is kinda ridiculous, but...

Okay, first two pages - Bluetailfly (sic - "I thought DT were darn good"), Gentle Ronnie, Velvetclown, Easy Livin Frechie, Arkitek, Ben2112, antisilence, billyshears67, terramystic, Cygnus X-2, Metropolis, Valarius, Calvo, Greenback, Snow Dog, Sigod

17 members opinions for DT in different degrees. And I wouldve added mine instantly if I had not been on a vacation from the forums then.

Yes, 17 is less than 21, but this kinda disproves your claim that 90% of the people here are against DT. And yeah, an emphatic NO to perceiving DT as no 1 prog band of all time does not have to mean the person expressing this opinion does not like DT. My opinion would have been an emphatic NO too, and I love DT.

Peace

Edited by Manunkind
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 22:36

Ok, I admit, not chosed the right poll.

Iván

bogdan. View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2005 at 17:56
If you, Ivan, hates DT so much, why are you visiting every f**king topic of DT.

I do not hate DT, I was their fan, but the became boring. They have complex music, but just in one line, they are not comlex in whole structure.
GATHER ye rosebuds while ye may,   
   Old Time is still a-flying:   
And this same flower that smiles to-day   
   To-morrow will be dying.

Carpe Diem!
frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2005 at 22:12
Ivan:

read how many reviews there are giving images and words or scenes from a memory 4 or 5 stars.

If 90%/the majority of people on the site hate dream theater as you say then why would they recieve so many positive reviews? SFAM is one of the most reviewed and highest rated albums on the site.

DREAM THEATER Scenes From A Memory Metropolis Part II ratings (144 entries)

Essential: a masterpiece of progressive music (72%)
Excellent addition to any prog music collection (12%)
Good, but non-essential (3%)
Collectors/fans only (6%)
Poor. Only for completionists (7%)

also: if you do see lots of dream theater threads it is much easier NOT TO READ THEM than to rant on them.

It is hypocrytical that you delibrately seeked out this thread about dream theater to rant your views when it would have been a lot easier just to ignore the thread.

Saying this, i do not wish to offend you or stop your from posting your thoughts as i find your points very interesting to read but you have made this thread go off topic from the album it is intended to be about (granted, i am probably also being a hypocrit by ranting and being off topic).

I think that this forum works best by us all working as a team and you are disrespecting Dream Theater fans right to discuss the band. I think that people should be allowed to discuss a band as much as they like (whether DT or ELP) as long as they are not repeating other peoples threads.

Edited by frenchie
The Worthless Recluse
Olympus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 23:42
This is DT's best in my opinion, it would be alot better if "the Great Dbate" wasn't on it though.
"Let's get the hell away from this Eerie-ass piece of work so we can get on with the rest of our eerie-ass day"
Lindsay Lohan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2005 at 07:00
My favourite DT RECORD NOT ONE WEAK SONG!
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2005 at 07:15
 I found 6DOIT disappointing after Scenes at first listening, but now I think  6DOIT is  superior to SFAM.It's my favourite after IAW and Awake.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>