Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNuclear Weapons.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Will The World Ever Be Rid Of Them?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [15.00%]
38 [63.33%]
13 [21.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nuclear Weapons.
    Posted: April 06 2009 at 21:52
As much as I admire President Obama, his recent remarks saying that his ambition to rid of the world of Nuclear weapons, eventually, is rather unrealistic imo. There is too much paranoia in international politics to even consider starting to un-stock nuclear weapons from various world arsenals. There is still too much distrust. A wonderful sentiment but will it ever be achieved in our life-time?

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 22:01
I had to pick yes. there is no logical way I could pick no or maybe. The world will eventually end, and therefore, will be rid of nuclear weapons. We will probably use said nuclear weapons to vaporize the planet, but after that, no more nuclear weapons.

Call it a pragmatic technicality. Tongue

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 22:02
Are you kidding? History has proven relentlessly that we are still a primitive, reactionnary  two-steps removed from reckless self-destruction . When I was still young and an optimist, I tought that people were inherently good. Nope! Humans are a combination of shark and hyena with occasional bursts of empathy , sometimes just to spike the "humane" reputation. Yeah, right!
As JJ Rousseau stated ,and my favorite adage (passed on to Micky for editing for his own use) "The more I analyze the human race , the more I love my dog"
When aliens show up a la "The Day the Earth Caught Fire" , Klaatu will set it straight, once and for all! ZAP!
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 22:08
Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

I had to pick yes. there is no logical way I could pick no or maybe. The world will eventually end, and therefore, will be rid of nuclear weapons. We will probably use said nuclear weapons to vaporize the planet, but after that, no more nuclear weapons.

Very pragmatic. I take it you will be long gone from This Mortal Coil when this happens?? Smile

- Robert Fripp

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 22:12
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Are you kidding? History has proven relentlessly that we are still a primitive, reactionnary  two-steps removed from reckless self-destruction . When I was still young and an optimist, I tought that people were inherently good. Nope! Humans are a combination of shark and hyena with occasional bursts of empathy , sometimes just to spike the "humane" reputation. Yeah, right!
As JJ Rousseau stated ,and my favorite adage (passed on to Micky for editing for his own use) "The more I analyze the human race , the more I love my dog"
When aliens show up a la "The Day the Earth Caught Fire" , Klaatu will set it straight, once and for all! ZAP!

LOL - Yep the aliens will solve the problem utimately - because Man can't or dare not make the first move. Love your Rousseau quote - very apt when discussing the human condition or lack thereof Wink

- Robert Fripp

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 22:21
Originally posted by valravennz valravennz wrote:

LOL - Yep the aliens will solve the problem utimately - because Man can't or dare not make the first move. Love your Rousseau quote - very apt when discussing the human condition or lack thereof Wink

I remind myself of that quote every morning during the shaving ritual, like that i am never surprised or disappointed when confronted with human stupidity. While on adages, Einstein said that "there are 2 infinites, stupidity and the universe. Not too sure about the second one". I guess that says it all. OuchLOL
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 22:31

Very pragmatic. I take it you will be long gone from This Mortal Coil when this happens?? Smile

Who could say? I would like to see such majestic fireworks, though...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 22:50

I remind myself of that quote every morning during the shaving ritual, like that i am never surprised or disappointed when confronted with human stupidity. While on adages, Einstein said that "there are 2 infinites, stupidity and the universe. Not too sure about the second one". I guess that says it all. OuchLOL

LOL - Einstein got that right - well until some other quantum theory replaces that quote and proves him wrong! Smile

- Robert Fripp

Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 23:17
Yes, when everything on earth has been blown to bits there will be no more weapons.

I voted Yes. Nuclear weapons are SO 1950'sSmile

Edited by Drew - April 06 2009 at 23:17

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2009 at 23:31

As much as I admire President Obama, his recent remarks saying that his ambition to rid of the world of Nuclear weapons, eventually, is rather unrealistic imo. There is too much paranoia in international politics to even consider starting to un-stock nuclear weapons from various world arsenals. There is still too much distrust. A wonderful sentiment but will it ever be achieved in our life-time?

Oddly enough you should be able to dig up a clip of Ronald Reagan saying pretty much the same thing about ridding the world of nuclear weapons when he was the US president.  I saw it on Countdown.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

omri View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 11:44

Sorry Tszirmay but that quote was said by Madam du Staal (probably misspeled here, I don't know to spel french names). Rousseau was the one that belived men are born good.

I think that to get rid of this horible weapon is right. If your nation suffered from such a weapon you still should not act the same cause it will destroy the world very quickly. Remember this comes from a person that only one bomb will end his own country !
omri
TheCaptain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 11:51

I had the same thought. But in order to go with the spirit of the law instead of the letter, I voted no.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 12:55
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I saw it on Countdown.

My favorite TV show at the moment.
rpe9p View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 13:55
We should just create a doomsday device so that nobody will ever attack us and countries will just get rid of their nuclear weapons.  What could go wrong?
fusionfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 14:08
I would like to say yes but I'm quite pessimistic about it:we,human beings,can do the best and the worst.Moreover I don't think we have found the right way to get rid of any threat:military option doesn't seem to be the best choice.It may seem idealistic to many but a far better sharing of riches,education,end of starvation,independence of any state towards organised religions and true financial regulation should help a lot.Peace. 
I was born in the land of Mahavishnu,not so far from Kobaia.I'm looking for the world

of searchers with the help from

crimson king
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 10:58
Originally posted by rpe9p rpe9p wrote:

We should just create a doomsday device so that nobody will ever attack us and countries will just get rid of their nuclear weapons.  What could go wrong?
Or we could fight wars like the two planets did in the Star Trek episode " A Taste Of Armageddon ". Fight a simulated computerized war where we just report to a station for liquidation after a simulated attack. The aliens would find out about this and come to our rescue just like Kirk did with the two planets in the show . That way after the simulated war the planet would remain more or less fertile and ready to start again with a clean slate so we could start the screwing up process once again.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 11:09
Sure, as soon as they invent something more practical.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 11:22
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Sure, as soon as they invent something more practical. efficient

Big smile

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 12:31
Maybe we should just move to another planet ! Ermm No. We`d just screw that one up in no time.
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 12:39
Impossible.  Won't happen.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>