Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pictures at an Exhibition - the photography thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pictures at an Exhibition - the photography thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 93>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Queen By-Tor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pictures at an Exhibition - the photography thread
    Posted: April 07 2009 at 13:11
Well, after seeing some of Jim Garten's snaps in the Rogues Gallery I've been inspired to finally create the thread I've long wanted to create. Here's a place where anyone who enjoys the art of photography can share their work with our progheaded friends (yes, I know there's photography forums for this, but hey!). Call it progressive photography if you will LOL

I love a good picture... it can turn the mundane into something beautiful, or capture a unique moment as a form of art, or showcase something that us mere mortals will never have the chance to see.

I'll start with a few of my favorite pics.

- A bridge from Tynehead Park in Surrey, BC

-The Clouds over the park

-My favorite snap of a buddy of mine playing guitar.

-My best attempt to make a friend of mine look like a serial killer LOL

Your turn!

Feedback is encouraged and appreciated, so long as it stays positive Wink
Diaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 13:29
I really like these pics, Mike.
As for me, I barely have taken good photographs, I've got not much talent.
yeah
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Queen By-Tor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2009 at 19:00
Was just experimenting with prolonged exposures thanks to the very nice weather out. This one turned out like a post rock album cover!

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atkingani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 02:09
My wife and I love to take photos of old churches, landscapes and some different views.

Here's an old church in the city of Tiradentes, MG.

Dawn at the historical Ouro Preto, MG... the street fair, the old church, the mountains, the morning mist.

Another shot at old Ouro Preto... only one girl at the windows is real but I cannot remember who! Embarrassed

Guigo

~~~~~~
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 02:17
Nice idea for a thread, Mike - - this has been talked of for some time, but I believe never come to fruition.

Anyway - I keep forgetting to upload shots to Photobucket, only have a limited selection there at the moment, so some of these will have been seen before, but here's a few:

Entrance to Harecastle Tunnel on the Trent & Mersey Canal, UK

Vicky waiting at a lock gate, early morning (I love the quality of light in this one)

Sunrise on the canals (about 5:30am) - we always make a point of going from 1st light to last light to make the most of the time.

Finally one I frustratingly reduced on Photobucket & forgot to re-upload full size:

Humpback whale, Bay Bulls, Newfoundland.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Queen By-Tor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 04:53
Nice ones Guigo! Those kinds of views make me wish I lived in a country that had more than only a few hundred years of history.

Jim - what a fantastic sunrise Thumbs Up. Being that I work night shifts I hardly have the capability to wake up for the sunrises, but I've got a couple of nice sunsets!

OH!

and this one's for Raff - it's a little statue that inhabits our non-pet-friendly apartment:

Tomorrow I think I'll be buying a remote flash. Very excited
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 05:26
Nice sunsets - you got me there though - very few at the moment on Photobucket apart from this one I reduced again :

Nice colours though...

[edit]

Ah - forgot this one:

Sunset on Kerkennah (an island off the coast of Tunisia)

Edited by Jim Garten - April 08 2009 at 05:30

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Queen By-Tor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 12:50
Ooooh, those are both gorgeous! The second one reminds me that it's been way too long since I've been out to Tofino... hopefully I'll make it out there this summer! That would make an awesome sunset... and maybe I'll even have a wider lens by then! Big smile Widest I got right now is an 18mm...
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 13:07
I like the one of the fox best!

Seriously, there's some great work there. Jim's tunnel is nice.

(goes await to await witty response).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Queen By-Tor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 13:58
Too bad I didn't take the fox one I should probably change that to my own photo of something.

In the meantime, enjoy some concert pics that I took last month (metal, not prog, sarry!)
http://www.uptownsound.ca/live-reviews/pagan-knights-tour-2009-seattle/

Wanted to post the pics here, but apparently they're too huge - click "view image" to see the full size thing.
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 16:15
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Queen By-Tor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 17:29
A little bit of fun with my new toys (Speedlite 430EX ii and a Transmitter ST-E2)

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Queen By-Tor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 18:01
Another practice shot

zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zappaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 19:36
The most artistic photo I've ever taken.  Anyone recognize it?

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
Leningrad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leningrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 20:27
Both of these from my backyard.

Cemetary at Normandy

The first picture I took when I entered Germany, which was a HUGE DEAL

Sunset from the top of Maui

I have more. I'll find them.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Queen By-Tor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 20:31
That shot from Maui is just amazing! Nice one!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2009 at 20:33
wow... great pics Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2009 at 02:19
Love the self portrait, Mike (you got your new toy, then ) & Leningrad - have to second the praise for the Maui photograph - top notch.

Originally posted by King By-Tor King By-Tor wrote:

maybe I'll even have a wider lens by then! Widest I got right now is an 18mm

Don't sweat it, Mike, the 18mm is the widest one I use too (the Kerkennah shot was taken using that) - matter of interest, what camera are you using?

Originally posted by Chopper Chopper wrote:

Seriously, there's some great work there. Jim's tunnel is nice.

Thanks, Alan - and thanks for the lead in line... There are so many things I could say here - mind you, I love the tunnel pic, but have always thought there's something about it... a bit... rude

Edited by Jim Garten - April 09 2009 at 02:20

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Queen By-Tor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2009 at 02:31
Right now I've got me the Canon Xsi Rebel (yes... the same one advertised by Avril Lavigne ) - it's something of an entry level camera, but it gets the work done.

I've been eying the XTi though... that thing is A BEAST! I want one!

How about you? I think I remember hearing something Nikon
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Garten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2009 at 02:32
I really must spend some time uploading some good photos to photobucket - there are some good photographers here

Just for a change, a few photos from Newfoundland (sorry, but the place is just so photogenic):

Cottage & Woodstack

I think this is a species of wild orchid, but maybe someone can clarify this...? Whatever it is, these grow in abundance on the Nfld hills.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 93>