Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJimi Hendrix added to proto-prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 22:07
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Nothing in life goes according to a plan... Those who think so are deluding themselves, I'm afraid. But this is not the time nor the place for such philosophical discussionsWink.

Nice ... I think that is what Jimi was really trying to say ...

P.S. Check out reviews by Atavachron and Chicapah, poetry inspired by music, some of the better writing I have seen on here.

Edited by Easy Money - April 11 2009 at 22:31
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 23:13
indeed... some great reviews coming in Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2009 at 23:31
Having read many many reviews of RPI, Psych, Heavy, Prog Metal, (and a few Krautrock ) reviews ... and seen Monsieur Hendrix's name regularly used as an adjective (hendrixian, hendrix-like, hendrixy) or just out and out just used as a comparison ... I now wonder why we would add such a musician when we all know that there were no mellotrons on his albums, no multi-part suites, no artsy fartsy w**king about ... you know ... something that groups like Procol Harum ( Trower actually invented Jimi's style of playing), ELP (Keith may have liked the ideea of attacking an instrument), Pink Floyd (a touch of psychedelic lyrics, some spacey sounds) , King Crimson (no need to go beyond the blues, right Mr Fripp) ...
C'Mon folks ... the guy must have done something to merit all those mentions in these pages.
I mean, do you see thousands of references to Eric Clapton ? Mike Bloomfield ? How about Robert Johnson ? Buddy Holly ?
Proto-Prog is meant for musicians like Hendrix.

Ah, but once more, we have the dreaded "he's popular" disease that kills the prog in any music ...  
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2009 at 20:26

Things seem to have got better with time here at PA, but still there are those who believe it is a good idea to say, "hey, let's add Tom Petty/Britney Spears/New Kids on the Block/etc. etc.", every time a controversial addition is made. In my very humble opinion, this is VERY offensive to those who work on behalf of the site, and implies that either they are clueless about music, or (even worse), that their only purpose is to add their favourites.
I hope that you are not referring to me and my somewhat sarcastic yet serious suggestion of the inclusion of the Grateful Dead.   As you well know, this has been suggested in the past and the arguments for their inclusion are nearly the same and only slightly weaker than those for Jimi. 

If it were possible to say "Hold the line" with Jimi, well, I'd be much more in favor of his inclusion.

It isn't.  M@x has shown himself to be in favor of an inclusive policy.  Heck, I can't even disagree with him on that given the logic of making this site a useful resource for everyone interested in prog.

So all I can say is that I reluctantly welcome Jimi and when the Grateful Dead are included I will reluctantly welcome them as well.

But I sure hope we add a truly and authentic prog-related band like Boston before we start grasping at more straws.
sigh....

Edited by ghost_of_morphy - April 12 2009 at 20:27
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2009 at 20:41
Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

Finally! About time Jimi was added here! A KEY player in the development of Prog, right up there with The Beatles and the Doors!

I've been thinking about your post and I'd love to refute it.  Unfortunately, I can't.  My problem is that Jimi was a key player in the developement of MANY genres of music, not just prog.  But as I think more upon this, it occurs to me that just because his influence was extremely wide  doesn't mean that his influence upon prog wasn't significant.  He is truly like The Beatles in this way.

Don't get me started on The Doors, though.  We disagree there.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2009 at 20:41
No, I wasn't referring to you, but I was trying to make a general point - based on what I have seen around the forums in the almost four years I have been a member.

However, I'd like to remind you of one thing... 'Truly and authentically prog-related', like beauty, is very much in the eye of the beholder (or perhaps I should rather say the listener). You think Boston are more related to prog than Hendrix, and you have every right to your opinion. On the other hand, there are people here who think Hendrix/Cream/Grateful Dead/Queen/Roxy Music/ etc.etc. are truly and authentically prog-related, and would HATE seeing Boston added. They also have every right to their opinion. So, who is right, and who is wrong?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2009 at 20:46
LOL.  I'm always right to me!

This may be why M@x has wisely generally come down on the side of inclusion instead of exclusion.  What a smart man!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2009 at 20:49
Originally posted by ghost_of_morphy ghost_of_morphy wrote:

LOL.  I'm always right to me!

This may be why M@x has wisely generally come down on the side of inclusion instead of exclusion.  What a smart man!

bingo... he is.... that is why this site is successful as it is... it is an inclusive site. 

if you want Boston here.. stick around... they'll get added I'm sure...  they have a case... a strong case. As many bands do... 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 12:09
For those fear-mongerers whose kneejerk reaction to controversial additions seems to be "OH NO !  This means that they're going to add Pat Boone, Garth Brooks, the New Kids on the Block, the Bay City Rollers, and eventually, GASP, Britney Spears and Celine Dion.  This has to be stoppeD !

If I may make a comparison - they are the musical equivalent of those geo-politicers who postulated the domino theory.

Oh, and by the way, and this can be taken any way y'all want - there will likely be at least one, probably some additions (if not already)  that do not merit being here at a prog site, even an inclusive one like PA. This is due to that human failing - imperfection. This will not call into question, nor degrade PA's standing, nor its reputation as a prog treasure trove. It will have happened , or happen, due to the site's clearly stated goal of inclusiveness, AND a true fan's desire to ensure that all deserving musical acts eventually find their spot here. And as the inclusion of one very borderline prog act will not "infect" the rest of the site, it should be accepted as a sign of open-mindedness, not degeneration into a free for all anything goes expansion.

So please, if you strongly believe that, for example, group X' entrance into these hallowed pages is going to inextricably lead to, say, Alabama or Krokus' admittance, then do this - prepare your case(s) in a thorough, logical , and easily digestable way. Then, if your nightmare scenario ever plays out, you will be able to lead the opposition, and if your arguement is strong & sufficient, chances are that the  undeserving act(s) in question will be refused entry.

Because, frankly, from my point of view, I have come to the point where I've developed an  automatic kneejerk reaction to the endless "THE #%^@$*j@ CAN'T BE PROG, 'CAUSE  I'VE HEARD THEIR ALBUM *%$^&$, AND IT IS NOT PROG, EVEN THOUGH I HAVE NOT LISTENED TO THE OTHER 15 ALBUMS THEY PUT OUT", OR THE "HOW CAN THEY BE PROG, THEY HAD A TOP 40 HIT, AND THEY'VE SOLD MILLIONS OF ALBUMS", OR EVEN BETTER " I DON'T LIKE THEM, SO THERE !" ...
 Arguements like these simply motivate me to search out the group's music, and if remotely prog, put up a fight just to force the naysayers to have to come up with something of substance to support their view. You know, like actually provide an explanation, based on having listened to at least some of the music, and not just restricted to one album out of ten. Such as having read other people and their views or opinions on the group, including any influence they may have had on subsequent musical acts.
 Or in simple english - being able to show that you have at least one clue beyond a bias.

So now, can we move on. Jimi's in. From today, take time to read a random review. Note the fact that in early RPI, Krautrock, Heavy Prog, and even some Prog Metal groups have seen their guitarists' style compared to Hendrix; and also note the similarities  that some acts' compositions share with Jimi's .

"cause honestly, we're not talking about Ted Nugent or Angus Young here. JH had a lot more going for him, and coming of him, eh .
O.K., now to discuss who's going to win the Stanley Cup, and why American TV needs "Desperate Housewives" & " Real Life Housewives".
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 18:48
^Well put, here here for the big tent approach to prog additions.  I'm fairly certain we are secure from having Pat Boone, Garth Brooks, the New Kids on the Block, the Bay City Rollers, Britney Spears, and Celine Dion, etc. added to this site. Easy Money's initial post more than justifies Hendrix's addition.  And if you know the artist's material well enough to review, then by all means take the opportunity to be critical there.

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 13 2009 at 18:55
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 18:52
Oh no, and I who wanted to add Duran DuranCry!
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 18:55

I could only support their addition if they were named Duran Duran Duran. Tongue
For some reason I am now hungry like the wolf. LOL

Doesn't that song have the lyric "I smell like I sound" or something?

Edited by Slartibartfast - April 13 2009 at 19:29
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 20:52
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I could only support their addition if they were named Duran Duran Duran. Tongue

LOL Hmmm - maybe we can add a catagory like Progressive Synthetic 80's Rock with artists such as Duran Duran, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Depeche Mode, The Cure etc. - NO just kidding!

Thanks M@x for adding Jimi. I always felt that his influence on many prog artists should be acknowledged by his inclusion on PA - and I think he was one heck of a musician!Clap

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 21:03
Originally posted by valravennz valravennz wrote:

LOL Hmmm - maybe we can add a catagory like Progressive Synthetic 80's Rock with artists such as Duran Duran, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Depeche Mode, The Cure etc. - NO just kidding!

Thanks M@x for adding Jimi. I always felt that his influence on many prog artists should be acknowledged by his inclusion on PA - and I think he was one heck of a musician!Clap

Speaking of '80's music, I actually like the Eurythmics soundtrack for the movie 1984.  Tears For Fears did some cool stuff around that time, too...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 21:41
^ Speaking again of 80's music, the Eurythmics and Tears For Fears were great, especially The Eurythmics. Actually countless synth bands made quite an impression in the 80's , for a while including Duran Duran. I was also partial to New Order, Rupert Hine and Nick Kershaw. Also can't forget Spandau Ballet and The Human League and Ultravox. On the one hand there was Synth pop on the other Punk and Post-Punk, with a smattering of Hair Metal thrown in. Quite a convuluted time for music and certainly over-road the dominance of Prog in the previous decade...

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 21:49

Originally posted by valravennz valravennz wrote:

Speaking of '80's music, I actually like the Eurythmics soundtrack for the movie 1984.  Tears For Fears did some cool stuff around that time, too...

There was a lot of late '70's/early 80's pop (ABBA, Human League, some others that I don't recall right now) that actually picked up a lot of prog's most poppy leanings and made some fairly decent music.  For that matter Asia was mining the same vein, albeit more skillfully.  I know, I know, I'm just this side of crazy, but a lot of that which I call Europop for lack of a better term is put together pretty well.  Maybe it's all those synths, maybe it's those yearning (and occasionally shrill) female vocals. 

But of course I'm off topic here, the subject being Hendrix, which I've already said my 2 cents, but I'll say it again for those who don't read the whole thread:  he absolutely belongs. 

1967 was a groundbreaking year for rock music.  The fact that Hendrix stands out, to this day, in that crowd is testament enough.
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 03:55
When I joined 'PA' 18 months ago I just assumed that Hendrix was here (so never bothered to look !)
It certainly amazed me that it took so long to formally ratify his inclusion so for me, it's really a no-brainer.

(Aside)

Would there be a craw in anyone's throat 'round these parts that Jimi's discovery and championing by Chas Chandler (BRITISH) his initial solo success (BRITISH) together with the 'Experience' band (BRITISH) formed on account of his inability to even get arrested as a solo artist in (AMERICA) may have had a bearing on the resistance to his entry into prog-related ?

Just a thought.....
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 04:31
^ I doubt it

most of the resistance - at least from my perspective as someone who opposed his addition over a year ago when he was being heavily discussed - surrounds the question of how directly Hendrix influenced prog.  He undoubtedly impacted almost every guitarist of his time, many of whom went on to be involved in proto or full prog.  On the other hand, the music prog musicians were doing was increasingly apart from and unlike the music Hendrix managed to record before his death in '70, his blues-based psych a far cry from Trespass, Stand Up, or Tarkus.  From that perspective, he was neither protoprog nor progrelated and therefore technically not directly involved in prog's development.  Do I mind he's here?  Not really.

Edited by Atavachron - April 14 2009 at 04:34
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 05:14
^ Hey David, read my intro for more details but, Hendrix was proto-prog and right there with Procol harum, The Nice and Soft Machine when it came to composition, structure, length etc.
In 69 he split to play the blues (The Experience had very little blues) and then Crimson, ELP, Yes, Genesis come on the scene. Now Jimi and prog are worlds apart, but it didn't start that way.

Edited by Easy Money - April 14 2009 at 05:14
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 06:07
Of course he should be here.

He played music in a way that nobody had before.

His influence and style are mentioned as a strong influence by many prog artists to this day and will continue to be mentioned.

I don't get  the contoversy at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 13>