Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marillion Weekend - Montreal
    Posted: July 26 2009 at 07:57
It would be a haul, but you should make it to one of the conventions. Well worth it, in my opinion.

There's a guy who sold his drum kit to fund his trip to the UK for the 2002 convention. On one of the nights they had fans come up and play and this guy got to play drums on "King". It's documented on the Wish You Were Here DVD and the guy did a hell of a job.

E
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 22:01
Eric, as always I am envious...

Its a shame they never have, and probably never will, come to Australia
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 20:38
Amazing song, isn't it? Hogarth was having all sorts of problems with the cricket bat throughout the middle part of the song. He even went to Trewavas' bass and acted as if he was impaled by it. It was during Rothery's amazing solo when the crowd surf began.

I was fixated on H during the last part of that song as all of his frustration just channeled during that particular part of the song. When he hit that final "And is true" part, he just grabbed the mic with both hands and just belted it. Friggin' amazing!

A rarity was them doing "Interior Lulu" during the third night when they did all of their epics. Should be very cool to see this on the DVD as it's hardly been done live before. Not a huge fan of Dotcom, but that song is a highlight.

E
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 14:44
Eric, I remember being blown away by the live rendition of This Strange Engine in Wolverhampton Civic Hall during the album's tour. An incredible feat ro recreate such an incredibly complex piece of music live. Let us all know when the DVD comes out, in case I don't hear first.

Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 09:58
Joel, it was unbelievable. I went wanting to hear certain songs, but thought I was asking too much and that wouldn't happen. I think I heard every song I wanted to hear. I went wanting to hear "Real Tears For Sale", "Somewhere Else", "Fantastic Place", "Afraid Of Sunlight", "The Great Escape", "Ocean Cloud" and "This Strange Engine"....and I heard 'em all. What makes it even cooler is "Fantastic Place" and "The Great Escape" wasn't performed at the European convention, but they wanted to treat us to some of their staples since the full band hardly makes it here.

The extended ovations after "Afraid Of Sunlight" and "Ocean Cloud" (where the band was visibly stunned), and h body surfing during "This Strange Engine" really stand out. I'm eagerly awaiting the DVD because I helped h going out to the audience and then coming back. Right place at the right time, I guess. Big smile

E
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2009 at 06:49
Looks and sounds like you enjoyed yourself!

I hope it was fun, and I also hope they COME TO AUSTRALIA SOOOOON!

Just for mee!

Hope it was good fun, sounds unbelieveably awesome to me
-Joel G
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2009 at 08:21
ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

NICE!!!

E
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2009 at 07:07
I took quite a few pics at the Marillion festival as well...

Friday

[

Saturday

Sunday

THIS IS ELP
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2009 at 19:42
You pretty much hit everything on the head, Friend. I had always heard of the closeness Marillion fans have when they all get together, and it was special to experience it first hand. For the second night I was down on the floor with a friend and ended up buddying up to 2 other dudes. As the show ended he goes, "You be at this same spot tomorrow night and we'll be here!" Sure enough, night #3 I'm there and here comes Chris. We still remain in touch via e-mail (he's in Canada) and he's sending me maple syrup for my daughter and I'm sending him KC BBQ sauce. Seriously, with the exception of the rectum heads who insisted on talking throughout John Wesley's set, I didn't meet a single A-hole!

And they really dug out some songs that they haven't done in years. Kayleigh/Lavender/Lothian haven't been done since (maybe) the Holidays In Eden tour (they performed Kayleigh/Lavender up through the Dotcom tour, but not all 3) and the crowd went nuts. Still sounded good.

And I'd love to have the H detractors experience him. He truly captivated the audience and shines on stage. You can tell he was born to lead a band.

E
sigod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2009 at 08:42

I’m really pleased that you had such a great time mate. Marillion are one of those bands who will forever remain in the consciousness of those who both love and indeed despise their music, for the simple fact that they have always chosen the path less taken. You capture the excitement, the nuance and the flaws in all three shows beautifully. Each element its part to play in a performance and without them, nothing is truly a unique experience. It’s a great piece of writing sir. Clap

Marillion always push technology to the very limit but it’s precisely because of that desire to break new ground both technically and sonically, that the guys make such a beautiful noise together. I’d rather hear a flawed version of TSE than no version at all. I hesitate to quote Leonard Cohen at this point but he did say rather tellingly of making mistakes that; ‘It’s the cracks that let the light in’.

Their choice of sets for these conventions also seem to be a testament to the band’s imagination and ingenuity. It’s fascinating to see the threads of theme and meaning woven into their selections but I guess it’s something unique to Marillion. Could you really see Genesis ditch the modern ‘greatest hits’ format for a set containing the same kind of narrative edge?

As for the Marillion fans, well I think you couldn’t find a nicer bunch of people to share a concert with. Everyone is open and good humoured, safe in the knowledge that their love of the band allows them the kind of social safety net few can enjoy in everyday life.

I can’t say I’m a fan of every album (I’m not) but your review really brings home the reason why so many people turn out year after year at the shows and put their hands in their pockets to buy their music; to be a fan of Marillion is to belong.

Edited by sigod - April 18 2009 at 16:29
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 10:33
^^Additionally, Marillion were really in fine form. Even though the 3rd night had it's rough spots (beyond the band's control), there just seemed to be a buzz around it. Especially after Hogarth went crowd surfing.

I know the Fish faithful still can't overlook Hogarth, but the man is quite the showman. After about 15-20 minutes upon completion of the last song, the band would file out one-by-one to mingle with the crowd. H was just swarmed by fans, so good luck getting to meet him.

The only one I met was Rothery (photo attached) and he was very pleasant.

E

E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 10:25
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Wow Eric.....just wow.  Sounds freakin' amazing.  I'm so glad you had a great time, I know you've felt a bit off re prog lately.  Sounds like this was good prog medicine indeed. Smile

It's weird, but to call this merely a 'concert' barely scratches the surface. First of all, the sense of unity and togetherness amongst the fans was unlike anything I had ever experienced at a live show. Secondly, not a lot of bands to 3 straight concerts with a different set list each night. It all was just too cool.

E
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 10:12
Thanks, Steve. Hanging out with you and your lovely wife before the shows was a blast. I'm still having a tough time letting that weekend go, though. Way too much fun! Hope to do it again in '11.

E
Progfan1958 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2009 at 07:46
Well done Eric !  A great review.  You were right on about Transatlantic too.... Kudos.
Best wishes from Montreal.
Progfan1958
"Peace to you all"
"La paix est avec vous"
"Pax vobiscum"
"Al salaam a'alaykum"
"Vrede zij met u allen"
"Shalom aleichem"
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 21:12
Wow Eric.....just wow.  Sounds freakin' amazing.  I'm so glad you had a great time, I know you've felt a bit off re prog lately.  Sounds like this was good prog medicine indeed. Smile

OzzProg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 21:10
Of course you had a good time in Montreal... It is of course the most musically open city in the entire world

:)
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 21:00
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

One of the best reports of any live gig I have ever seen. I'm glad you had a great time. The band are still exceptional, and I will never tire of hearing them, although I'm hoping that they hold a weekend closer to home next year.

Again - great reportClapClapClapClap

You're too kind. Thank you, though. Very nice to hear.

It's worth the trip. You really should go.

E
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2009 at 11:43
One of the best reports of any live gig I have ever seen. I'm glad you had a great time. The band are still exceptional, and I will never tire of hearing them, although I'm hoping that they hold a weekend closer to home next year.

Again - great reportClapClapClapClap
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 19:11
You will come away with a ton of new friends. This band really should be seen live, too.

E
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 12:24
And I had the unfortunate luck of being in Florida during this time. Cool
Ah well ... I suppose family should come first some times.
But if they're back next year or after, I'm certain I can, "ahem", convince my wife and daughter to plan a vacation to Montreal Tongue
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>