FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMarillion Weekend - Montreal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 09:58
Joel, it was unbelievable. I went wanting to hear certain songs, but thought I was asking too much and that wouldn't happen. I think I heard every song I wanted to hear. I went wanting to hear "Real Tears For Sale", "Somewhere Else", "Fantastic Place", "Afraid Of Sunlight", "The Great Escape", "Ocean Cloud" and "This Strange Engine"....and I heard 'em all. What makes it even cooler is "Fantastic Place" and "The Great Escape" wasn't performed at the European convention, but they wanted to treat us to some of their staples since the full band hardly makes it here.

The extended ovations after "Afraid Of Sunlight" and "Ocean Cloud" (where the band was visibly stunned), and h body surfing during "This Strange Engine" really stand out. I'm eagerly awaiting the DVD because I helped h going out to the audience and then coming back. Right place at the right time, I guess. Big smile

E
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 14:44
Eric, I remember being blown away by the live rendition of This Strange Engine in Wolverhampton Civic Hall during the album's tour. An incredible feat ro recreate such an incredibly complex piece of music live. Let us all know when the DVD comes out, in case I don't hear first.

Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 20:38
Amazing song, isn't it? Hogarth was having all sorts of problems with the cricket bat throughout the middle part of the song. He even went to Trewavas' bass and acted as if he was impaled by it. It was during Rothery's amazing solo when the crowd surf began.

I was fixated on H during the last part of that song as all of his frustration just channeled during that particular part of the song. When he hit that final "And is true" part, he just grabbed the mic with both hands and just belted it. Friggin' amazing!

A rarity was them doing "Interior Lulu" during the third night when they did all of their epics. Should be very cool to see this on the DVD as it's hardly been done live before. Not a huge fan of Dotcom, but that song is a highlight.

E
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2009 at 22:01
Eric, as always I am envious...

Its a shame they never have, and probably never will, come to Australia
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 07:57
It would be a haul, but you should make it to one of the conventions. Well worth it, in my opinion.

There's a guy who sold his drum kit to fund his trip to the UK for the 2002 convention. On one of the nights they had fans come up and play and this guy got to play drums on "King". It's documented on the Wish You Were Here DVD and the guy did a hell of a job.

E
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12