Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOne of my fav artist.Yours too?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Topic: One of my fav artist.Yours too?
    Posted: May 01 2005 at 21:08

RAMASES

If there ever had to be a list of the most eclectic musicians/rock groups, then Ramases would be a definite contender. Very little is known about this enigmatic person, and very little in terms of music was ever produced. However, his two albums, especially the first one, have built up a form of cult following within progressive rock circles.

Born in the late thirties, in Sheffield, England, Martin Raphael worked as a PT instructor in the army after serving a conscription period and after that started a lucrative business as a central heating salesman in Scotland. One day, whilst in his car he claimed to have had a vision from the Egyptian Pharaoh god Ramases, who informed him that he was actually the re-incarnation of this deity and that his duty on earth was to inform the world the truth about the universe. (This has been corroborated by various people such as artist Roger Dean and musician Eric Stewart amongst others.)

The next step for Martin Raphael was to change his name to that of his "original" self, Ramases and try to get himself a recording contract so that he could preach his views via the musical world. Incredibly so, he managed to obtain a recording contract with CBS and released a single (CBS 3717) in 1968 together with his wife under the moniker Ramses And Selket. The tracks featured were Crazy One with Mind's Eye on the B-side. The original title was to be Quaser One, but there was a misunderstanding with the operator at the recording company with the resultant single having a different title! This single was also made available on volume 3 of the new Rubble Series which has now been released by Voiceprint Records. This single is the rarest of Ramases material valued at 70 British Sterling by the Record Collector Magazine.

Next single, this time under the name of Ramases And Seleka, to be released would be on a much smaller label, Major Minor (MM 704), with Love You on the A-side, backed by Gold Is The Ring, in 1968. (valuation 15BS). Some sources cite a single released in Germany at the same time with the title Screw You, though this was probably the same single as Love You, and the name mis-spelt or mis-heard. Apparently these tracks also appeared on the Exploding Plastic Inevitable Volume 2 compilation album.

What is a definite fact, is that in 1970, Ramases signed a deal with Vertigo, which was the progressive branch of Phillips. Recordings for an album took place at Strawberry Studios in Stockport. Owned by the future members of 10CC, this is what probably gave this album the cult status it currently has. Four members of this group (which would be formed in 1972) played and most definitely had a hand in the musical input to the album, They were Eric Stewart, Lol Creme, Kevin Godley and Graham Gouldman. The album had a lavish cover, which folded out into a large cardboard poster, designed by Roger Dean.

Two singles were released from this album in 1971. First out was Ballroom backed by Muddy Water (Phillips 6113 001; valuation 15BS). Once again there probably was a typing error as it seems that Ramases never wrote a song titled Ballroom, but one called Balloon which eventually appeared on Space Hymns. Next single had two tracks which would find there way onto the album , Jesus Come Back and Hello Mister (Phillips 6113 003).

Space Hymns was released on the Vertigo label (6360 046) in 1971, and is a rather strange sounding album for this label as it possesses none of the normal musical traits usually characteristic to Vertigo. Musically speaking it sounds somewhat folksy having a strong hippy commune feel, very different to the the jazz tinged bands or the heavy/hard rock bands that characterized this label. The album created a certain amount of hype within certain rock circles especially with those who were fans of the more psychadelic leaning style of progressive rock. The main areas of popularity were England and Germany were there was always a certain amount of affinity for rock bands who tried to fuse their music with certain cults especially Middle Eastern religions (A classic example would be the group Quintessence). The album with the spiral label; has become a collectors item fetching 30 BS, while the spaceship label would fetch  something in the region of 18BS.

Following the release of Space Hymns, Ramases and his wife moved to Stanley Road,Felixstowe in Suffolk where he lived in a house together with his mother. Very little was heard from him until 1975, when he released his second album which was rather different to Space Hymns having a musical feel slightly skin to that of early Strawbs material.

Ramases was very disappointed with the cover of Glass Top Coffin (Phillips 6360 115; Valuation 15BS). The original intention was to have a cut out showing a man falling backwards into space into the Horsehead nebula. When the gatefold cover was to be opened up, this was to reveal a bird. the record company would not change the artwork as this was already done. However he managed to obtain permission to modify the lithographs and create an impression that the man falling backwards was wearing a spacesuit with helmet on. The album, however sunk without a trace as did Ramases and his wife Sel.

Little is known about Ramases following the release of Glass Top Coffin. He seems to have slipped into obscurity, remaining in Felixstowe. Reports in the nineties quote Ramases as having died, with suicide being the cause of death.

Glass Top Coffin inside gatefold 

Inside of 'Glass top coffin'

Both albums are brilliant slices of Progressive Rock; from acoustic love songs and gentle saxophones to sitars and rock guitars these albums explore the themes of alienation, loneliness and searching with a particular "other-world" feel. All members of the then newly-formed 10cc played on 'Space Hymns'.

Screw You front cover - click for bigger picture Screw You back cover - click for bigger picture Gold Is The Ring/Screw You - Dutch release - click for bigger picture

AWESOME

Edited by Karnevil9
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 04:39

Sounds interesting though I've never heard of him myself. I put the name into Google and came up with some interesting links:

This one is a website dedicated to him:

http://www.rock.co.za/ramases/

This ones a review:

http://www.dprp.net/forgotten/ramases/

And one from someone who doesn't appear to like prog rock:

http://ilmixor.blogspot.com/2005/03/ramases-journey-to-insid e.html

Doesn't appear that any of his music is available on CD.Pity.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 06:12

I've written a review this morning! Not only is Space hymn fantastic , it is also IMHO the best 10CC album ever!  And this was in 71 almost two years before the first 10CC album!

I have not heard the second album!

Edited by Sean Trane
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 09:34
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Sounds interesting though I've never heard of him myself. I put the name into Google and came up with some interesting links:

This one is a website dedicated to him:

http://www.rock.co.za/ramases/

This ones a review:

http://www.dprp.net/forgotten/ramases/

And one from someone who doesn't appear to like prog rock:

http://ilmixor.blogspot.com/2005/03/ramases-journey-to-insid e.html

Doesn't appear that any of his music is available on CD.Pity.

Ramases 'Space hymns' is on CD...The Progressive line issue has a pile of bonus track which are actually the second album 'Glass top coffin'

Theres some now on e-bay uk

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 09:35
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I've written a review this morning! Not only is Space hymn fantastic , it is also IMHO the best 10CC album ever!  And this was in 71 almost two years before the first 10CC album!

I have not heard the second album!

Glass top coffin is more of a mellow album more voice/guitar sytle

Still awesome

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 10:34
Never heard of in 42 years...
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2005 at 20:43