Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJade Warrior ;dream world

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jade Warrior ;dream world
    Posted: April 30 2009 at 14:20
Hi,

Jade Warrior, at least on KTYD in Santa Barbara, was not being played next to Frank Zappa ... it was being played next to the cool and hip music with Phoebe Snow on one end and Michael Franks on the other ... and probably Moody Blues behind it ...  to give you an idea. You never heard Frank Zappa before 6Pm and then it was only from Overnight Sensation and Apostrophe, because someone wanted to play a suggestive song and flip some FCC listener looking for a 4 letter word. And you and I know that in those 2 albums FZ is as "conventional" as he can ...

And btw ... Frank Zappa was known for requesting someone too stoned in his audience to leave the concert hall ... no one was more opposed to drugs than Frank and Gail ... and his wife is one of the biggest unknown Hollywood saints of all ... for caring for so many people on drug and drink stupors ... the list of which is insane ...

weetabix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2009 at 20:02
I would like to give a sample of their work from a video (youtube) but I am having difficulty w/ that right now. The Asian approach to the JW sound was unique for a band from the 70's.

The Zappa fans were too stoned at the time to know what was going on, this was 1975, everyone it seemed couldn't appreciate anything w/ out getting f---ed up.

Edited by weetabix - April 28 2009 at 20:06
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2009 at 12:51
Hi,

I still have 3 of their albums and was actually disappointed that the CD's were not available last time I looked ... and saw a copy of "Waves" LP on Amazon for over $100 bux ... mannnn ... think I can get a mint for my LP's?

I like the music ... and no ... I never bought the albums for anything else but the music ... I did hear one criticism once on our radio station ... some idiot said "too much music and no lyrics" ...  which to my book meant ... reply not necessary! One should never stand in the way of idiocy and ignorance!

I'm sure all those composers in their graves over hundreds of years are turning over in their dreams over that comment. Even Salieri must be salivating at the thought!

Edited by moshkito - April 28 2009 at 12:52
soundsweird View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2009 at 00:29
I like both incarnations of JW. I would've loved to see them live. I hope the Zappa fans were kind.
weetabix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 19:42
 Of all the prog bands I have to say that Jade Warrior is one that deserves some mention.Tony Duhig on guitar and Jon Field on percussion and flute, Glyn Havard on bass and vocals.

Duhig and Field worked in the same factory operating fork lifts.Duhig met Havard in Iran  then they started to make some original music.

I saw the band at the Capital Theatre in Passaic N.J. when they opened for Frank Zappa. By the 70's I was fairly burned out on Zappa so I just went to catch Jade Warrior. Duhig, Havard, and Field put together a special touring band that kicked ass. They had just completed their last LP together at the time Last Autumns Dream and before that they had their Debut LP Jade Warrior, then a very pop oriented Minimotos Dream. They were on the Vertigo label, famous for such bands as Cattapilla, Uriah Heap, Mayblitz, Black Sabbath, and even Rod Stewart.The label folded and Island picked up on Field and Duhig and Havard had to go so he went to the US and joined a Punk band.

There music had more of a jazz feel and soon I was finding their records inthe " world music' section in the shops.I especially liked the first 3 Vertgo LP.s but then others say it was afterwards that Jade Warrior sounded better.

Post Reply Post Reply