Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJohn Zorn RIP? False Alarm In Article

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2009 at 08:56
Anyone like locus solus? man thats a tough album.

Anyhow this thread scared me.
brainerd View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 19:08
Originally posted by avalanchemaster avalanchemaster wrote:

Originally posted by brainerd brainerd wrote:

Originally posted by crimson87 crimson87 wrote:

Any John Zorn recomendations for a newb?

Seconded!

I'm familiar with the Naked City stuff, but I'm getting more into classical/compositional music recently. And well, Zorn's discography is so huge that I have no idea where to start.
The album Music In Suspended Light sounds the most intriguing to me at this point but I've read mixed reviews. Any ideas anyone?

If you like Naked City, I would recommend acquiring the Naked City Boxset (complete studio recordings)....then from there, get the Painkiller boxset (somewhat similar in sound/style).. Spillane is great...  The Big Gundown is an awesome homage/tribute/covers album to Ennio Morricone (who is a genius in his own right).  Masada and any of it's incarnations are awesome!  Electric Masada (at the mouth of madness 2cd) is an awesome electric fusion band that reminds me of Mahavishnu Orchestra in many ways.  All of the birthday celebration stuff is killer!  Also all of the projects with Trevor Dunn/Mike Patton/Joey Baron are essential (imo):  Astronome, Moonchild, Six litanies for heliogabalus, The Crucible (all have the core duo of Mike Patton/Trevor Dunn...) Spy Vs. Spy: The music of Ornette Coleman- is a must have!  It features Zorn and Tim Berne (a great avant garde sax player) duelling with a bassist and TWO punk rock drummers!  absolutely Manic and out of control and just Insanely Great.

Thanks man I'll be sure to check them out!
Prospero View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2009 at 20:25

Originally posted by avalanchemaster avalanchemaster wrote:

Originally posted by crimson87 crimson87 wrote:

Any John Zorn recomendations for a newb?

Seconded!

I'm familiar with the Naked City stuff, but I'm getting more into classical/compositional music recently. And well, Zorn's discography is so huge that I have no idea where to start.
The album Music In Suspended Light sounds the most intriguing to me at this point but I've read mixed reviews. Any ideas anyone?

If you like Naked City, I would recommend acquiring the Naked City Boxset (complete studio recordings)....then from there, get the Painkiller boxset (somewhat similar in sound/style).. Spillane is great...  The Big Gundown is an awesome homage/tribute/covers album to Ennio Morricone (who is a genius in his own right).  Masada and any of it's incarnations are awesome!  Electric Masada (at the mouth of madness 2cd) is an awesome electric fusion band that reminds me of Mahavishnu Orchestra in many ways.  All of the birthday celebration stuff is killer!  Also all of the projects with Trevor Dunn/Mike Patton/Joey Baron are essential (imo):  Astronome, Moonchild, Six litanies for heliogabalus, The Crucible (all have the core duo of Mike Patton/Trevor Dunn...) Spy Vs. Spy: The music of Ornette Coleman- is a must have!  It features Zorn and Tim Berne (a great avant garde sax player) duelling with a bassist and TWO punk rock drummers!  absolutely Manic and out of control and just Insanely Great.

Thanks man I'll be sure to check them out!

You could also check out the recently released "Lucifer" album from John Zorn's Book of Angels series, as performed by the Bar Kokhba sextet (including the excellent Joey Baron on drums).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12